2018-09-12 20:48:12

So I just got finished listening to the  unveiling of the new watch and iPhones from that apple event, and I have to admit, that I am not too sure if  some of these pho e concepts will even matter to some of us.

The iPhone 10-S and 10-S Max, although nice phones, don't really seem like they'd really bring  much to us in the visually impaired community, whereas the iPhone 10-R seems to be more what we need.  Like we're going to care about the camera, or display, which really are the only two major differences between the two devices.  Seriously..

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-09-12 21:15:23

My first impressions:
Yay, new Iphones! I'm probably not going to get them though as my iphone 7 works great.
I guess the onbby reason I'd buy an Xs Max is because the processor may be better, which I doubt, but the deffinite perk is the battery life. That is one long battery ⠇⠊⠋⠑⠲

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2018-09-12 21:42:55 (edited by Phil 2018-09-12 23:58:37)

I herd CNN's live post so they commented on what was visual.
I like the ability to record sound in stereo.
The ability to have laser detect objects will help us, and might even be used for a bar code scanner to identify products in a shop.
They predicted a updated Seri but no mention of it in the Apple event.
The prices are high with the 10R at $749 USD and the 10s at $999 and 10s Max at $1,099.
all with 64 gb memory up to 512 gb for an additional $100.
The 10s Max has the largest screen on any iPhones so might help those with partial sight.

The iOS 12 should be released as a free upgrade on September 17, Monday and will work with all iPhones back to the 5s.

2018-09-12 23:53:04

I didn't follow the Keynote. But I just read up on these new phones.
I don't think, I will get another IPhone. They are getting way too expensive, and way too big in my opinion. The fact, that there won't be a new model of the Iphone SE, makes the decision very easy.

2018-09-13 00:06:32 (edited by serrebi 2018-09-13 00:07:46)

The only things that will be really new for the blind is faster face ID, and the inclusion of 4 microphones on all the new phones this year: So they can record in stereo. I will be holding onto my X personally: While it's nice, it's about the same as a cheap stereo mic, according to the demo I heard during the announcement. Might be worth getting if you've been holding onto a 2 year old phone  for a few years or something.

2018-09-13 00:07:04

The iPhoneR? What an odd name... If none of the phones have touch ID that might push me to try Droid in another year when I'm thinking about retiring my 6S. For now though I love my 6S headphone jack and all.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2018-09-13 00:23:06

@phil:
A small correction, the IPhone xr doesn't have a 512 gb storage, it starts from 64 gb, upto  256 gb.
The 512 gb space is only for the xs and x max.

2018-09-13 00:25:34

They still sell the IPhone seven and IPhone eight at this time, or so I thought I have read. I am not to sure what I think about the new phones. My guess is that they think that we are made of money or something when the price is taken into account. As for me, the price is high for a phone. The finger print reader on the 6s and the earphone jack on the 6s are both good reasons for me to not upgrade at this time. Yes, I have had my IPhone for around two years now and I am planning on weighting for now. The 512 gigs of the newer higher priced phone is tempting, but I really do not have the money for that phone. I figure that when I do get around to upgrading, it may be cheeper and I might be thinking about other options at that time. I am also thinking that they are forgetting about the form factor of the smaller size of the SE. I am wondering how these newer phones will sell. Yes I am questioning rather or not they are right about the price.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2018-09-13 00:38:53

People forget that in the day and age of movies and streaming, noone is going to want a smaller phone size, so we will stop seeing smaller phones below 5 inches. Most phones are 5.5 at the very least now, going bigger and bigger... which is sad to say. As a total, I'd be very happy with the 4.7 inches... but it is true. Few people care for a smaller form factor now.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-09-13 01:23:33

When I bought my Iphone 8 last christmas, Apple tried to sell me an Iphone x. When I asked why I should pay the extra for the x they told me about the facial recognition, I told them I was a blind person, there was a long silence and they said "so the eight will be good for you" big_smile.

I had my iphone 5 for slightly over five years,from September 2012 to Christmas of 17, and I don't know if  would've been so quick to upgrade in terms of features if my battery hadn't died, I expect to be using my 8 for just as long, though if basically all the new phones offer is more things I cannot make use of like the camera and more random superlatives about the "better" quality of the hardware, I might be hanging on to my Iphone 8 for quite some time more.

As to large screens, a time might come when a screen is large and clear enough for me to watch films on, at which pint that would be a major plus for me, but none of the phones are large enough for that purpose yet, so as it stands I'm better going with something portable.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-09-13 01:51:03

In a nutshell, way too over priced.

2018-09-13 02:44:20 (edited by Chris 2018-09-13 02:49:46)

The event was boring. I'm not interested in new iPhones or the Apple Watch. It looks like the iPhone SE is gone and we heard absolutely nothing about the Macintosh. Apple is boring! When people stop buying these slightly updated iPhones year after year Apple is going to be hurting. It's sad that 80% of their profits are based on this single product. I don't think Face ID will work since I am totally blind and never have a reason to open my eyes. Nothing has compelled me to get the new iPhones past the 5S. Apple has lost all their innovation! They're just churning out model after model with slight improvements.

Oh, and I'd rather not carry around a telephone the size of a pop-tart. I don't want to hold a pop-tart up to the side of my head or jam it into a pair of cargo pants.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-09-13 02:48:30

@dark:
I think your good with the 8 so far, I believe even for the next 2 years you can still use the phone just fine.
Mine is a 6s, and even though I've replaced the battery at an apple store last year, the phone still eats up the battery like a hungry horse, even when the screen is locked.
The problem is that the battery test shows it still has 79% of the battery sells working fine, so I don't know really.
Since the phone is 3 years old now, I am thinking of getting a new one.
Either that, or I will replace the battery again next time I fly to the Emirates.
I wanted to get a new IPhone this year but the price has made me really rethink that.

2018-09-13 03:56:16

I'm not impressed. First of all, I'm very disappointed that the SE has been discontinued, and that there won't be a new model of it as predicted. I like small screens personally, although I could probably get used to one that's slightly larger, as long as it doesn't have the dreaded split screen view. However, what I really don't like is the total switch to Face ID. It's a huge security risk if you disable the attention feature, which many blind people will have to do in order to get it to work, and I believe that's absolutely unacceptable. Yes, the 7 and 8 models will still be viable options for a couple of years, but what happens when they stop receiving updates? Then you're screwed, unless you like the idea of having any Tom, Dick or Harry being able to point your phone at your face and being able to unlock it. Soon, people won't need to steal phones just for parts anymore, they can mug you, point it at you, and then run off while knowing they have access to a lot of sensitive information. Thanks a lot, Apple. Your commitment to privacy has pretty much fallen apart before my eyes today. Looks like I'm going to be switching to Android in the near future in protest.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-09-13 04:56:00

The fact that they are using face recognition exclusively as the only means of verification is one of the dumbest things I ever heard. Samsung were smart when they came out with face recognition before apple... they added additional options to make it more secure so you could always turn it off and still have an alternative biometric way to unlock your phone. I am very glad I jumped ship after the iphone 6, as that series seems to be the last phone with any inovation coming from Apple.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-09-13 09:25:49

Hi.
Huh, nothing exciting really, I am missing that killer feature drawing me in and wanting me to get one of these new phones.
Sure, inovation is at a slight stand still these last cupple of years because to be honest, what could the developers include which isn't there already?
Something that I am looking forward to is the new apple Watchs4, I wanted to get one for quite some time now and with the new generation out, I think i might go for one.

I just bought my iPhone 8Plus last year so I skip out on the new phones I suppose, let's wait till next year when my phone contract runs out and they give me the possibility to extend my carrier contract and offer a new phone.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-09-13 10:50:15

overpriced trash. I hate where apple is going and i like where Xiaomi and essential going, although essential won't probably  be putting new phones anytime soon.
The only brilliant thing about apple devices are  long term updates.
Also, i don't use my phone like a computer. I don't wan't  my phone, which can be stolen from me in a split second or be broken thanks to  glass panels, to process billions and trilions of operations per second. I have my quad core desktop CPU for that specific reason.
There's the arguement of better tech for disabled people, which i do agree, But the hell with highly priced premium devices which only for people who can afford it.

twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2018-09-13 12:13:55

I didn't look at the topic much, but I sure can think of better place for my £700, rather than an iPhone 10SR. I'll keep the SE for now, then get an 8. then we'll see.

2018-09-13 12:54:43

after having done some homework on the matter, I decided that I am going to get the 8 Plus as my upgrade.

Essentially, the 8 Plus and the 10 are the exact same with the touch ID replacing the face ID, and the slightly larger screen, but  also, the 8 Plus is a bit louder so that's good for me, and the battery actually lasts longer statistics wise.  I don't care for LED screens.  so yeah, decision is made.

I had android and didn't like their accessibility, and my sister has one and uses voice assistant on her galaxy S8 and doesn't like it as much as voiceover.  so yeah.  Plus for me, facetime has been an ass saver because I can use it to some things that cannot be read or if I don't know what something is, I can facetime someoen and be like "hey, wtf is this".

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-09-13 14:58:50

I don't likie the new iPhones, I don't like face ID. I like Apple,  but I don't like where it is going.
Even so, I'm not switching to android thank you very much. lol

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2018-09-13 16:17:09

Now while I'm probably going to stick with the 8 myself until either A, something new and especially amazing that I can't do with it comes along, or B, my phone ends up so deadums I'll be forced to get a new one, the apple watch is another matter.
I'd actually really rather like one, there are lots of things to be done with it  more exact satnav data to notifications from games like timecrest and even sending texts.

I'm having to be very careful with finances at the moment, but I might ask my parents to help me get an  apple watch as a christmas present.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-09-13 16:43:55

hey everyone.
First, I had an old nokia keyed thingy phone. I hated it since... since ever lol. Then, I switched back to android with a samsung J1. Someone stole it from me, and I got a samsun j3. Again, stolen, and now I have a sony X piria.
I got to say... it freaking sucks. Sure, it has the stereo microphone thingy, but the accesibility for lots of apps that I need, including the predefined launcher, they all suck.
I've never had an Iphone. Well I did, but it was a 4 one and with only roamming support. It just served as an Ipod and ran IOS7. I liked pretty much the accessibility and really want to buy the Iphone XS of 256 gb of storage. The price terrorices me, but I really need to switch phones. Plus, it has the nice garage band thing and I have done lots of things with it in my dad's Iphone X. Also, I like the fact that you just got to open the camera and point it to the qr code and it unlocks whatever you're trying to unlock.
I don't really like android pretty much. It's good, but not at all. Most of external apps are not accessible and you have to tag lots of buttons in a desperate try to make it accessible.
I'm going for the Iphone Xs. Lets see if I can collect some more money, as I only have 400 bucks or so in the bank. I actually hate my actuaal phone. And... basically that's my sad phone story sad haha.
Take care and sorry for my really screwed english, it's not my native language

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2018-09-13 17:17:31 (edited by Jason SW 2018-09-13 17:18:37)

I'm really not impressed with the latest iPhone models. I don't think I'll be switching away from iPhone, but I don't think I'll be upgrading this year either. I do like my iPhone 8 Plus, but I'll probably upgrade next year. I probably will trade in my series 1 Apple Watch for a series 4, and I'm planning on buying a new iMac in the next few months, as my current iMac is over eight years old, and is becoming almost intolerably slow.
I hope that Apple is planning to release new Macs in October, because I'd like my new Mac to have at least a quadcore 8th generation processor like my laptop does.

2018-09-13 18:42:04

I like the X R and personaly now I like bigger phones because I have space for my big fingers and for example I tipe super fast on my old s7 edge and on an s8 plus, for example.
But because I can not even aford another s7 myself or another expensive phone with my own money, I will piss my mother off until she will help me get an iphone 8 and I will have it always connected to a small bluetooth keyboard, so, no need for a big screen anymore.
I was planning for a 7, but, do not ask me why, but I just hate it, it is a mater of prefference and, you know, boot loop disease.
smile

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-09-13 19:14:26

Hey everyone!

I have a galaxy s8 from T-Mobile USA, in Midnight Black which I just paid off.
If I were to get an iPhone in a few years, it would most likely be  iPhone 8 Plus, in gold. If the iPhone XR, it would be in "yellow" or "coral."
The only way I am going to get a Galaxy s10, is if Talkback from Google or Voice Assistant by Samsung get new features added to their screen readers, or if more applications from iOS get ported over to Android.

As you can see, I am in limbo here. Regardless of which phone I get in a few years time, I'm keeping my S8 for comparison purposes.
Bixby, is one of the main reasons why I went with an S8 in general. Luckily, I still have my iPod Touch 6th gen which is getting iOS 12 next Monday, so I can keep up with Apple stuff, regardless of the phone I upgrade to.

Have a wonderful day!