2018-08-11 15:18:37

hi all, recently i took a look at javascript, and saw that i quite liked the sintax and i decided to post a few questions here that i could not find answers for:
if i want to make audiogames with javascript and i want to use ghorthalon's utils, do i need to make use of npm? or can i just use it with html or what?
and do i need node.js in order to make an audiogame with ghorthalon's utils?
thanks and best regards

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2018-08-11 16:14:00

You can use HTML 5 to play audio. Also, Tarzan Junior was written in vanilla JS and didn't use NodeJS so you can use plain JS to make audio games most definitely.

2018-08-11 17:20:59

@2 do you meen with the normal javascript that is used for websites? if that is what you meen, then i am reelly getting happy!

best regards

2018-08-11 18:02:15

Yup. Vanilla JS is plain old JS.

2018-08-11 18:09:28

but now i am afraid, if vanilla js was used for that game, does this meen that i can't use today's js for audiogames? or what? will today's js be to new for audiogames accept for the utils from ghorthalon?

best regards

2018-08-11 19:18:59

@5, yes. Node.js would be perfect for this; good backing foundation, rock solid system, lots of libs, no JS modifications, pure old JS.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-08-11 19:22:51

ok, thanks i will take a look at it

best regards

2018-08-11 22:07:14

Alrighty.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-08-12 01:31:49 (edited by CAE_Jones 2018-08-12 01:32:57)

When Tarzan Jr was created, there wasn't a requirement that all assets be loaded from a server, webaudio didn't exist, platform checks were necessary all over the place, etc. Right? Or was Tarzan Jr later than I realized? I got the impression it was contemporary with my JS games.
Never been able to get post HTML5 JS to do sound in any usable way. The embedded audio method I used in the 00s seems like it was unreliable from the beginning, and that's gotten more true as browsers evolved. Also I can't use hidden=true to hide the players from screen readers, which would be fine except that my old games used the text on the page, not just audio. ... Now that I think of it, I haven't even bothered with figuring out how to communicate with screen readers through post 2009 JS. I mostly just give up when I can't get sound and the like working, so it never seemed worth looking into.
And where <embed> is concerned, I have no idea what properties are reliably supported anymore. In the days of IE6, I could rely on IE6 supporting balance, volume, and sometimes rate, but any other browser was a gamble. I mean, making a position_sound function that says if(mysound.balance) mysound.balance=x would probably cover that, I suppose.
I've never been able to get the likes of howl.js etc to do anything whatsoever.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-09-24 23:48:08

You will need Node.JS for Ghorthalon's AGK, but honestly I don't see why you would use vanilla JS for something like an audiogame.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2018-09-25 01:03:45

Which versions of which browsers support what? Calling it cross-platform when giant updates break compatibility with important utilities often enough to discourage updating by default is disingenuous. Remember, pro-class programmers, the average person does not spend a third of their time researching what to update and what components to expect to fail. They just notice that updates screw them over sometimes, hear about one such update in the pipeline, and disable updates until they can afford a new machine.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.