2018-08-01 15:42:47

Does anybody have experience working in C# on the Mac and, if so, a recommendation for an IDE to use and any tips for using it? Visual Studio Community for the Mac seems largely accessible, right up until you try to interact with the text field where the actual code is, and then nothing seems to work as expected. I'd appreciate any insight anyone can provide...

Oh, and don't read too much into this, as far as Out of Sight Games is concerned. Historically, I'm starting to get more involved in some C#-related work and have decided it would be convenient if I also had the option of editing those files in Mac OS, so I'm just trying to find an accessible option. Please don't start any rumors like, "Hey, OOSG is making a game for the Mac!" or "Hey, Joseph is doing all the C# for OOSG now!"

2018-08-01 18:00:05

xCode is a good but heavy editor especially in the disk storage department. I'm not sure you'll be able to natively compile c# code in xCode though. You might need to jump out into a commandline to do that. TextMate is another good editor, but the same applies to the commandline. The power of textedit can't be over looked here. Super lightweight. It doesn't have any advanced features like an IDE, but if you just want a super simple editor, you can't go wrong.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2018-08-01 18:06:02

Yeah I don't mind using something simple for poking around in code, but I'd still like to find something a bit more feature-rich if possible. I was very excited about the fact that there's a native version of VisualStudio for the Mac, but the inability to actually interact with the text is a bit of a deal breaker...

2018-08-02 01:21:02

Hi Joseph.
Well I don't use the mac, but visual studio should have a tab for interacting with code. It does in windows, but since you have to interact with things on the mac, it might be a little different. I'm not sure why VoiceOver would act like this, maybe try x-code? That's mac's go too IDE. I don't know much about this, but there are guides on AppleVis on how to write and run code. Whether x-code can compile and run c# code, I don't know. I would say not, since x-code is made by apple, it's tied into the mac so deeply, it used to only have support for swift, objective-c and all that. Since visual studio has xamarin, I don't know if apple would even bother to work with c#.
If you are just wanting to edit code, you could use something like text wrangler. Sorry if this wasn't very helpful, I'm a little rusty on what's going on with the mac these days. I'm just learning how to use c# with visual studio on windows, and I'm having a great time. It's a very neat tool to use!
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order