2018-07-14 12:14:30

If it ain't broken, why fix it?

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2018-07-14 13:58:03

skype 8 is okay. i use it. the jaws scripts has some keyboard shortcuts to jump to the edit box, chat history, etc. as for the website layout, if you install the sscripts, its all about tabbing, or shortcuts to jump to various parts of the Windows, so Quite usable for me.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2018-07-14 16:27:43

One of the best ways to stop the upgrade is to make sure UAC is turned on. Also, if Skype does end up updating you can always redownload the classic Skype from Microsoft itself. So no worries. The version they host on their site is 7.41.

2018-07-14 17:50:33

I didn't try the preview version, so can't say how usable it is, but the store version is semi-usable. I use Skype so little that I could put up with its flaws, even the fact I couldn't check when a message was sent, if not for one very annoying thing: if I press down arrow in the message list, it'll read it, but it'll also read another random message after that. I usually don't like using older software, but I think this time I'm just going to stick with classic while it works.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2018-07-14 18:14:46

Regarding older software, I'm happy my Adobe Audition 1.5 from 2004 is still working fine, as I simply need it for my work. And what about Jaws: let's not forget, that not everyone is on it.

2018-07-16 14:25:56

Well, i finally got my hands on that thing and i just don't liked it. I'm super used to pressing quic commands to go to certain things quicly, and not looking for a particular message in a particular conversation wich is always below or whatever, and so, i just got rid of it. The same here, i'll be using it as much as i can. But who knows, we can wait until something happens. I'm pretty shure someone will make a workaround (take classic shell and those program tricks to get back into classic versions). big_smile

After years, i finally changed my signature! But i don't know what to say :D

2018-07-16 20:26:18

Well! This... sucks big shitballs.
https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/microsof … eptember-1
Time to switch to whatsapp web, I guess. Or bite the bullet and use the new SKype without multiwindow mode... or just use something else entirely from now on. lol

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-07-16 20:29:20

Yeah, I just saw that article, and it sucks big time. I guess WhatsApp Web will be ok for most of the things I use Skype for, but you can't make calls with it, so there's that.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-07-16 20:46:30

Yeah, but that's when you use the actual app. tongue Or messenger calls if you have facebook, but last I checked that thing had sound quality issues.
Has anybody tried Google Duo? I've been meaning to, but know nobody who uses it.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-07-16 20:56:23

If only those things had apps for Windows. having to use a web browser for that feels so 90's.

2018-07-16 21:37:21

Well this is just fantastic! Microsoft has once again demonstrated that they're willing to take something that worked perfectly and fuck it up! They did it when moving from XP to Vista, and now they're doing it again with Skype. It's really sad since Microsoft is doing so many good things with Windows 10 and Narrator. It looks like I'll just have to find something else. The Windows 10 Store version is horrible and you can't run Skype for Desktop on newer versions of Windows 10 because they want you to use the Store version. I need to find a replacement that works on macOS, Windows, and iOS. I'm not a fan of web browser versions of Hangouts or Skype, so I don't know.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-07-16 22:03:41

I am on Duo and it is ok, remember to use a virtual number to do that.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-07-17 00:19:34

Actually, there's an easy way to get the newer Skype on Windows 10 without having the store app forced on you. Use Ninite, it will upgrade the classic version to Skype 8 or whatever the hell they're calling it now. I got a nasty shock the first time that happened to me a few months ago, I didn't know it was going to do it, and it's in my list of programs that I have Ninite update automatically. I guess I'll just let it upgrade now, there's no point in holding onto something that's already dead.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-07-17 00:21:22

Skype 8 not being allowed on windows 10 is no longer valid. Microsoft has fixed it so it actually installs on windows 10 just fine, so nothing is fucked up except that we need to learn a new layout which isn't horrible.

2018-07-17 00:24:29

Skype 8 does sound like it's more useable than Skype for Windows 10, but since 8 is an Electron app, I don't see how they're going to make it just as good as Skype 7. I seriously don't see the appeal of these Electron apps other than they can run the same bits of code cross platform. If I wanted to have something running in a web browser, I'd use a freaking web browser. What's the point of this crap?

2018-07-17 02:12:35

There are several benefits to it for screen reader users. You can use ctrl f to find whatever you want quicker, you can use quick navigation keys to your advantage once you learn the layout of an app, and anything else you might use while browsing the web. I do find skype 8 quite better too, but I feel like it wont reach the same high performance as a desktop app just yet. In big group chats, it has a delay while navigating with a screen reader, however unfortunately we will need to deal with that. Performance of the windows store app is even worse than that.