2018-07-11 16:24:32 (edited by ogomez92 2018-07-11 16:25:06)

Hi all,
first forgive me for posting this here in the general games discussion bored, but given that not only experienced devs might be interested in this, I'm posting it here.

I wrote a getting started guide about developing audiogames with JS which comes with a template that is available on my Gitlab.

Please have a look and I hope everything is understandable, I will be posting more of these mini tutorials if this is well received.

https://wp.me/p5k2I6-1J

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2018-07-11 17:08:25

Cool article. I will definitely be messing around with this stuff. Would appreciate more articles from you.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2018-07-13 08:52:29

Hi.
Wow. Great article. However, I'm not a developer, so there are quite a lot I don't understand. I'm trying to learn Python though, which takes very long time for me to learn.
I have two very basic questions about Java script, which hopefully makes me decide if I should take a look at this instead of Python:
1. It seems like, out from your article, that Java Script works out from a console just like Python. Like, you run your script from a console, install and uninstall things from the console. Did I get that right? It makes things much more accessible for me rather than mess around with inaccessible graphical interfaces. smile
2. What's Java Script simular to regarding to the code syntax? I mean, is it simular to php or html or maybe Python? It seems like everything runs in a web browser, so I wander if it's like  very advanced kind of html or php.
I must atmid I got very surprised the first time we saw one of the newer audiogames in Java Script which works that well. I mean, long time ago, Philip Bennefall made his first games in Java Script. Everyone said Java Script was really bad and not made for gaming. I wander if something has been improved extremely much in Java Script, or if people just didn't knew better at that time, because everyone said Java Script was so bad...
Again, thanks for the interesting article, and I look forward to see your answers on my questions.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-07-13 21:52:27

Hi,
Great article, even though I am not a developer, I enjoyed reading this, it seemed quite informative.

2018-07-14 14:23:22

Hi to post 3:
1. It seems like, out from your article, that Java Script works out from a console just like Python. Like, you run your script from a console, install and uninstall things from the console. Did I get that right? It makes things much more accessible for me rather than mess around with inaccessible graphical interfaces. smile
Yes and no. Javascript package manager (npm) runs from the console, and you can run your game with Electron which is ran via the console. As for the programming side of things, you would only need a basic text editor like notepad and of course the console. that's it.

2. What's Java Script simular to regarding to the code syntax? I mean, is it simular to php or html or maybe Python? It seems like everything runs in a web browser, so I wander if it's like  very advanced kind of html or php.
JAvascript's syntax is C syntax, which means it's similar to php and even bgt in some fundamental aspects, so you don't have to change much in regards to syntax.

As for Philip bennefall making games in javascript, it isn't really so, it was something called html something. it was nothing compared to what is being done here.

2018-07-14 16:34:55

More accurately, yes, Javascript has changed a lot in the past decade. I remember running into an article circa 2007 or so where someone mentioned being embarrassed to try and explain to their programmer friends that they were using Javascript. IDR if this link works, but I had a big JS file, half of which was making up for the basic things you couldn't do for free back then.
2010s Javascript is so different as to be scarcely recognizable.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2018-07-15 22:12:07

Is there any accessible IDEs I can use for this? I'd prefer macOS, but I'll develop on Windows if I must. I want Code Completion, brace tracking--I'm not a fan of braces TBH...

Thanks.

2018-07-16 09:11:38

wowe! Hello oriol. Ok as much as i love playing your games, and checking out various histories of programmes for people speak about visual basic and javascript. Ok uhm, one particular bit of coad that i don't hear of is bgt. Can anyone help me use it? I'd love to start making games, even if it's only like an arcade game like that cool game crazzy tennis, lol fun game that is

2018-07-16 12:55:12

Can you write an article of the things you had to do when switching over to JS from BGT? What did you read to learn the systems. Also, any idea why I can't get your game cones to work on my mac? I can run the template but not that. Weird.

Ivan M. Soto.
Feel free to check out my work and services.
http://ims-productions.com

2018-07-16 20:24:26

Orin try visual studio code
it's both windows and mac
it's great

2020-03-26 15:44:21

Sorry for the topic revive, but I was wondering if anyone still has this article? Orials gitlab is down, but you can get the template on github. However, I didn't find anywhere for the article.