2018-07-13 17:40:44

So I'm not sure who actually still uses this like myself and hasn't updated to the newer versions, but.
If Skype asks you to update, do not, do. Not. Click install. It will update you to Skype preview, whichever one that actually is, the windows 8 one? I don't even care any more, lol all I know is the new layout was something unexpected, and once I spent like 30 seconds with it I was done, because it's completely stupid IMO. I never did like that new design they're going for with the apps that look like web pages, so I may be slightly biased. Not that I can't use them... I just find them really annoying personally.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2018-07-13 18:56:34

That is true, do, not, update, the new version is just a piece of crap, this one is sooo fast and simple, that one is just... I will not comment further.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-07-13 19:57:40

That's pretty sneaky. Last time there was an option to update the classic version.

2018-07-13 20:12:19

i dont have problems with the preview one. just install the scripts for jaws, and it will be okay. no webpage layout anymore.

f.a.t.h.e.r

2018-07-13 20:31:25

What about the Windows 10 app? Is that still garbage?

2018-07-13 21:39:54

the skype preview and the windows 10 app they are the same junk. Its really sad that microsoft forces you to use their apps just because.. oh look we have the windows store! I had my suspicions when that update came and and thankfully skipped it intuitively.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2018-07-13 21:41:52

Oh gotcha. I thought we were originally talking about the electron app.

2018-07-13 22:06:32

The store app is complete and utter horseshit, I can't stand it. The preview one is doable if you absolutely must use it, but it's not nearly as intuitive as the classic app. I'm an NVDA user, so can't comment on what the JAWS scripts do, but I'd say if an add-on comes out which adds some of that functionality, I'd be willing to give the preview app another try.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-07-13 22:59:40 (edited by livrobo 2018-07-13 23:00:31)

I'll never understand all the hate for the new layout. It works fine. Seems people just don't like change.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2018-07-13 23:17:01

One thing I don't care for in both new versions is the lack of customization. For example, you can't change the sounds it uses, and that bothers me. There are also not as many sound events that can be triggered. You also can't use keyboard shortcuts to answer and end calls, which is inconvenient. Finally, both of those apps are in your alt tab order, which is just a pet peeve of mine. I don't like unnecessary clutter in there. In the classic version, you can at least have it minimize to the system tray.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-07-13 23:51:12

The windows 10 app is trash, yes, but the skype preview one is completely usable, at least here, running nvda.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

2018-07-14 00:09:07 (edited by livrobo 2018-07-18 00:23:45)

@Turtlepower17
Those are all fair criticisms and I hope they're resolved, especially the inability to hide Skype in the system tray. I miss that feature.

I still think that people are overreacting by saying that the latest version of Skype for Windows is unusable. I can't speak for the app version since I haven't tried it out, but the desktop version is completely usable although it could be a little more intuitive. It's probably best people get used to the new layout because that seems like it's going to be the new standard. If people keep holding on to the classic version, switching to the modern version is going to be more difficult when classic is no longer supported.

Edit. I came back to edit this post in case someone comes across it in the future. You can hide Skype in the system tray, as well as change audio devices. There's so much misinformation going around about this new Skype version and I really don't understand why.

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2018-07-14 00:25:02

Yes, I would agree that saying it's unusable is a bit of a stretch. If push comes to shove, I'll use it, but I do hope some of the issues I mentioned above get resolved. The store app, however, I will not back down on my stance about, that thing is terrible. You can't even change which audio device is being used. For me, that's a dealbreaker, in addition to it being generally slow and buggy.

2018-07-14 02:14:47

Yeah, my main problem is the lack of customisation, not getting used to the interface itself. Keyboard shortcuts for answering and ending calls, as well as muting microphone are a must for me in order to continue using skype. When that goes away, I'll have to look for something to replace skype.

2018-07-14 02:18:17

For me, it's a case of if something works fine, why completely overhaul it? Why make everyone complete relearn how to use something they already use? Updates to fix security issues are a must, but why completely redesign the interface and force everyone to use it? I could be wrong, but we probably don't have enough people in general saying, "No, we will not just get used to this. We will not accept it. Don't screw with a user experience that works just fine because you think it looks better." Most people seem to be sheep and just say, "Welp, that's just how it is." Sometimes you do indeed have to simply accept change, but it bothers me to no end when software developers screw things up when they're working fine as is. What really, really gets me is when they swear that it's the best experience when the best experience is pretty subjective. Yes, I realize that my opinion is also pretty subjective. Lol. You can't please everyone.

That said, I'm grateful that Microsoft has decided not to completely ditch the classic version just yet. Things were looking pretty grim in that department. Hopefully when that day does come, the new versions will be a bit better than they are now. Microsoft seems to be listening to feedback at least.

2018-07-14 02:20:58

I wouldn't say it's unusable either... for the 30 seconds I looked at it it just bothered me that 1, I couldn't close it, and two, that it's some weird thing like a standard program and a website had a child, and that child was horribly mutated. tongue

2018-07-14 03:31:44

I heard that they using Javascript for the new interface. So, it's going to be a web application

2018-07-14 03:40:15

Yeah, not being able to close it is a pain. You could end it in Task Manager, but I hate doing that unless I absolutely have to.

Oh, and I remembered another thing that bothers me about the new interface. There's no more split view. I realize that not everyone was a fan of that to begin with, but I'm always paranoid that I'm going to type a message in the wrong chat without it.

2018-07-14 03:58:47 (edited by livrobo 2018-07-14 04:00:21)

@turtlepower17
What do you mean closing it is a pain? I figured you were talking about not being able to hide it in the tray, but then you mentioned killing it in task manager. If you were going to actually close the program completely, why not just do it from the file menu or by pressing ctrl+q?

Are you talking about the version on Windows 10?

2018-07-14 04:11:01 (edited by Shadowcat 2018-07-14 04:11:28)

@18
Oh shit... they got rid of that?
That settles it, keeping classic for as long as I fuckin' can.

2018-07-14 05:45:52

Hmmm, I could be wrong about the closing thing, come to think of it. That may have been the store app I had trouble with. I know one of them refused to close, and it probably was the stupid store app.

2018-07-14 05:55:49

I should probably at least try that thing at least once... but if it's anything like Skype 8 I already know I'm gonna be irritated. lol

2018-07-14 06:20:57 (edited by livrobo 2018-07-14 06:23:44)

Something cool I just noticed:
After I saw you talk about it, I wanted to check to make sure it still could be closed. I found out that pressing alt f4 in the window actually does put it in the tray. I didn't know that, but I'm glad it's still there.

I don't use Skype that often so I'm a little behind.

2018-07-14 10:22:15

I'm also one of those, who doesn't like all these so called modern interfaces. In my book a program is a program and a website is a website and there shall be no thought of crossbreeding them, but unfortunately it's a popular practice and really a shitty one. So I still hope they wouldn't kill the classic Skype off all that fast, but when it happens, I'm probably gonna scream in anger.

2018-07-14 11:54:02

well skype preview just pissed me off. skype 8 has a retarded web page view. honestly, if skype 7 is discontinued, I'll probs just go over to the win10 specific app, at least it has a somewhat tolerable layout. the only issue is the fact that I'm down to win7 for reasons as it currently stands, and am pretty sure my only option would be skype 8, and that's just an absolute no no.