2018-06-27 13:53:40 (edited by brad 2021-01-20 21:30:56)

Hello.

If  you like fan fiction, keep reading.

I've been helping a guy called Frederik test a program he developed.

It's a fan fiction downloader.

It allows you to download fan fiction from fanfiction.net, stories, crossovers, entire author urls and community pages.

All you do is download the program, run it, find the URL you like,copy it and paste it into the program window and press enter. It's as simple as that. A folder will be created where you put the program, for example;, if I put the program in my downloads folder and download the brad author URL, there will be a Brad author folder in my downloads with all the stories that brad created in it.

This works the same with crossovers and communities.

If you download a single story URL, it will download just that story, in other words; there will be no folder created.

Here's the github link to try it out for yourself, just press enter on the download here link and you'll be downloading tuns of fan fiction in no time.

https://github.com/woafu/FanfictionDownloader

I'm gone for real :)

2018-06-28 10:39:23

Thanks, this'll make grabbing stories from the ff.net communities a lot easier.

2018-06-28 13:30:37

Thanks for this program, I really wish I had more internet to download that Harry potter arkive, I am a biiig Harry Potter fan.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2018-06-28 14:51:36

could you explain how this works exactly? cause i entered my url, and then it said downloading chapter 1 downloading chapter 2 etc. i switched off the window for a bit cause i knew it was a big fanfic. and now it's not saying anything so i'm wondring what the hell it's doing?

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-06-28 16:34:17

Hello.

@fox have you checked in the folder where you've put the program, the stories should be there.

I've not tried one storied but you should be able to write exit and press enter to close the program.

2018-06-28 17:31:08

hello, amazing program! how do I paste the URL? I pressed control+v in the edit box but it didn't work, just says v

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2018-06-29 05:25:41

Here's how I do it, I copy the URl to the clipboard, then go to the folder where the downloader is stored, for example downloads.

I then hit enter on the exe file, then paste using control + v, then hit enter.

It'll then start saying chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 3, ETC, just wait for it to stop, or go do something else while it does its thing.

It'll do that for each story it downloads.

If an author or community has a lot of stories, it's going to take a while.

To exit, I just alt f 4 out of the program and it works just fine.

I was told by someone that the downloader incerts extra lines throughout the story, no idea what that's all about because I haven't really noticed it yet.

2018-06-29 05:44:59

This is a nice program, I haven't found one that does author pages as well, although I think that functionality is still a bit buggy.
The one thing I think is missing, is the ability to save fanfics as html. I would prefer that, as it would increase ease of navigation

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-06-29 07:42:01

Hi,
I downloaded and tried this tool yesterday, whilst its good, it didnt announce anything for me,wonder why.
and I was going to make a suggestion but matt1211 already beat me to it.
An option to choose html format along with headings for seprat chapters would rock.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2018-06-29 11:42:00

Hello.

@gryff If you're using NVDA try pressing NVDA plus 5 to turn dynamic changes to on.

2018-06-30 13:01:20

This downloader does some strange things with formatting, depending on what word processor you use.

If you use notepad, the story appears normal, where as wordpad strips all the formatting, so all you're left with is one huge block of text.

Open the file in a browser, I tested it with firefox, and you get lots of blank  lines.

2018-06-30 18:39:13

Hello.

I've only used it with notepad.

I'll tell the developer about this. I've given him the link to this thread and a thread I made on the blind subreddit.

2018-07-02 04:58:40

I do hope there are plans for more sites, I know ff.net is popular and all, but lately they're starting to filter some stories.

I'd like to see AO3 supported.

Some stories on ff.net have been edited, removing certain scenes.

I know of other downloaders that support other sites, but this one is good because you don't have to feed it stories one by one.

@tspyvi, or however you spell his username has a downloader which supports many of the popular fanfic sites, but like I said, you have to feed it stories one at a time.

That one also has custom templates, but I find them annoying to set up.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this downloader, so far this is the only one that does bulk downloading.

There's always room for improvement..

2018-07-02 06:58:40

This is interesting because it downloads in bulk. I do wish the fanfic downloader that already exists could be modified to allow bulk downloading though.

2018-07-02 23:00:57

Agree with the last two posts. I like the GUI, and the html formatting much better than just a plain txt file. If the other downloader, which I use as well, could be modified to download author and community pages it would be a perfect world. I think he's got the source for part of it on his page somewhere, from what I can remember. Whether it's still there, who knows!
The website is www.allinaccess.com

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-07-03 14:28:44 (edited by kool_turk 2018-07-03 14:32:11)

It looks like I found a fanfic that this downloader can't download.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/547259/1/H … t-Hogwarts

2018-07-07 07:38:14

Eh, I don't mind the plain text so much, since I'll mostly be reading stuff on a Braille display. I just used this to download all the Animorphs fanfiction, so I'm very happy right now.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-09-10 13:41:16

If you want a Fanfic downloader that can do a lot of different sites:
Download Python2, Python3 support coming at some point.
press Windows+R, type in
cmd
then type
pip2 install fanficfare
Then, copy the address of a ficfic page, archive page, like all DBZ fanfics, or something... I recommend Bringer of Death, Savior of Demons, Break Through the Limit, and honor Trip... Oh, uhhim, well, after you copy the address, go back to your command line Window
Now, you're probably in your "home" folder, or whatever comes up when you press Windows+R, type . (period) and press enter. By default, that's where stories will be downloaded to. To change this, type
cd
then a space, and the folder you want to go to, like ffanfictions. If you want to go further down the folder tree, like your Documents folder, then Fanfics, type documents/fanfics. That's Documents, slash, fanfics for those who hate punctuated speech. Now that you're where you expect the fanfic to show up: type
fanficfare
then a space, then press Control+shift+v to paste the URL. After that, press enter, and an EPUB file will be pasted into the current directory.
FanFicFare can output stories into EPUB (the preferred format), HTML, plain text and MOBI formats.
There's even a mailing list for this project:
https://groups.google.com/group/fanfic-downloader
If you want to know about further commands, do
fanficfare -h
That's a space, dash, h.
This works on any platform that Python works on. There's also a web version, but the last time I tried that, well, it was downloading a story for days, so your mileage may very.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2018-09-10 14:46:59

I just use a site called FIC Saving   or something like that.  Works enough for me,  ut works with fanfic.net only.  There are some sites that I am sure have other material that I'd like to easily grab.  I have a really nice Final Fantasy VIII story that I thought would be good to  get transcribed into  a proper kindle format, but back then I did it the old fashion way.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-09-12 00:47:27

Could this program have support for mobile fanfiction? Its the verssion of fanfiction.net which I use the most.

2018-09-12 03:30:28

+1 to fanficfare. IT has so many different supported websites, it's insane.

2018-10-02 04:35:26

How do I use fanficfare?

2018-10-02 19:16:26

Nice find, I never knew about Fanficfare. This is awesome.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2018-10-03 14:24:06 (edited by brad 2018-10-06 02:55:15)

Hello.

I had a post here about a bad URL. I've removed it since I no longer need help.

2018-10-04 06:51:17

I can't even get it to work.

I wonder if it's because I'm on 64 bit?

If Tspyvi's downloader used this instead of re-inventing the wheel, you would already have one hell of a fanfic downloader.