2018-06-20 18:33:05

so i'm using the bgt manual, and i figured out  a good amount, it'sjust getting to confusing for me, is there anywhere i can find a less complicated manual. the following script shows everything i was able to dig out of the manual that i could understand and get to work.

#include "dynamic_menu.bgt"

void main()
{
show_game_window("test bgt thingy.");
dynamic_menu menu
menu.add_item_tts("start.");
menu.add_item_tts('exit");
menu.allow_escape = true;
menu.wrap = true;
menu.run('die in hell stupid complicated bgt manual!", true);
}

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2018-06-20 18:57:11

try the following:
#include"dynamic_menu.bgt"
dynamic_menu m;
int r;
void main()
{
show_game_window("menu test.");
m.allow_escape=true;
m.wrap=true;
m.add_item_tts("start");
m.add_item_tts("exit");
r=m.run("hi there, please choose an option with the up and down arrow keys and hit enter to select.",true);
if(r==1)
{
alert("wow", "you selected the start option., exiting now.");
}
if(r==2)
{
exit();
}
}

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2018-06-20 21:23:56

Dude! No. There isn't. The best manual is the .chm file. BTW it's much much more straight than any other programming languages that have built in manuals. Learning every programming language needs patience. If you're getting demotivated from the errors, Other programmers also passed the level you are currently in. Also remember, reading manual too quickly just because you think you understood a section without giving it a try yourself leeds you to where you currently are. This is one of the worst things that might happen in practicing and learning a programming language. Uh. I have many experiences like what I mentioned and i thought i'm probably an idiot that i can't understand this manual and others could. It was what i could suggest you.

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2018-06-20 21:26:42

at post 1.
OK this will sound a bit rude, but it is not.
BGT, is just an old language that'll probably teach you some programming concepts, but is not a thing to rely up as a beginner. Because as a beginner you'll most likely make a tons of errors, like we all do. I believe BGT's not just a good start for a beginner. Obviously, if you would run in issues we'll be here to help, but from my experience I recommend you starting from a main stream language not from an engine that puts you all the things in hand and is not going to improve.
Lets say you one day will get a weird error, with a main stream language you would just have to paste terror in google and you would most likely going to find a solution to it.
in BGT you are forced to ask here, which is not the problem, but hope you got my point.

Paul

2018-06-20 21:27:32

sorry for double post.
Be warned, the BGT compiler will just become your enemy. big_smile
happy programming

Paul

2018-06-20 22:20:03

Dude, like, dude, are we at the proper level of dudeliness yet, no? Dude? OK, I am not a fan of BGT, but one thing they have is a very very very very very very uncomplicated manual that is easy to understand and provides plenty of examples. Programming concepts are hard to learn, but try learning another language from its documentation and tell me that the BGT manual is complicated after the attempt.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-20 22:24:10

Also, you cannot mix the single and double quote, you use one or the other, not both. Now for every string, you could alternate, but you cannot open with a single quote and close with a double, or open with a double and close with a single. Also, the BGT compiler is a dirty little liar, it will tell you there is a problem, but it will not be on the line it is saying, this is common among compilers, though some of them are better about it, more intelligent than others, BGT's isn't very intelligent.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-20 23:09:14

at 6, you might want to consider that probs he's not a native english.

Paul

2018-06-20 23:30:30

yeah but even so, that's a language issue, not a manual one.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-21 01:19:41

Yeah, BGT's compiler is terrible at giving you line numbers. The place where a language like C++ gets terrible is with macros, after preprocessing. Then you have a program with 15000 lines instead of the 950 Notepad or Vs says it has. So you get errors on line 14321 or 14443 and you go, "Not possible!"

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-22 15:53:24

@Ironcross32: it's not common among compilers to give you wrong line numbers, only poorly written ones and ones that use preprocessor directives. But, even in the case of preprocessor directives, I've never seen a mainstream compiler give you the wrong line number in recent years. It used to happen with C++ but they've long since fixed that. in fact, I think the G++ compiler is one of the best around. Yeah sometimes its error messages are cryptic, but I've seen problems more so with the linker rather than the compiler itself, like when you forget to include the extern C stuff to stop C++ from muddling your C symbols if you're mixing C and C++ code.

So, sadly this is a problem with BGT itself and not at all acceptable to give you wrong line numbers. A compiler I was writing recently was also doing this and it was a problem with the way I'd coded it and nothing else.

2018-06-23 23:03:18

I can't stand BGT at all! Sure the code seems easy, but it seems like these days their are much easier codes out there. Why not try Swift? It' a more mainstream code and I'm sure you could create great audiogames with it. Just saying. Otherwise, quit BGT! Let it die and let the compiler die! Waist of your time!

2018-06-24 04:01:49

lol

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-06-24 04:39:50

@12, roflmao. Swift? Ha! Good luck with that! Do you know, sir, that Swift isn't really acknowledged as a good programming language because its practically still in a premature stage? Roflroflroflroflrofl!

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-06-24 23:12:25 (edited by revan 2018-06-24 23:13:22)

I'de recommend stay away from bgt, it's outdated
go and learn python, or c++
at last c++ are not outdated, no matter what you do,  your games will be caught always, who knows when windows 12 11 will release and bgt games could be not work
think about windows defender warns people,  even i have kaspersky internet security it warns me too that game file contains trojan
go and look in the quarantine,  you'll see hack tool win32 etc
so i am not trusting the bgt stuff, whatever that is my opinion
if you ok with that good luck with outdated engine