2018-06-09 14:42:25

Hi all,
Just when I thought the fighting game stuff was getting ridiculously cool anyway, the hype factor comes back again with another announcement, revealing another one coming! Dead or Alive 6 is coming to ps4, xbox one, and steam in 2019. We have a trailer to go by as well, and it actually seems kind of interesting assuming this is actual gameplay. Stereo and flashy. I odn't know if it's recycling stuff from DOA 5 which was also cool anyway, or if there are new sounds here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecYRKkc6GGI

2018-06-09 17:47:17 (edited by assault_freak 2018-06-09 17:52:47)

There is a mixed bag of new and old sounds here. But honestly, the hype isn't there... DOA 5 got boring real fast. As a fighting game it's shallow, and all the appeal is in the boobs and skimpy costumes. That tends to be the only reason people get this game anymore... the characters and the story are both flat and static, and the fighting is fun for the first little while but definitely gets dull. But we'll see... they may be taking a different direction and my cynical attitude might just be stemming from the last four games.

Update: I take back what I said! At least, for the moment, based on what this section of a TFG news article says.

"We wanted to make a more cool and more mature Dead or Alive this time, and to that end we made a conscious decision to make characters less sexualized," Shimbori told IGN.

It goes without saying that this decision is heavily influenced by the fact that the industry is moving away from overly sexualized female characters in general, but Team Ninja seems to have a concrete vision behind this shift in style. If you look at the game's concept art, you can see that Kasumi is no longer just a fantasy figure for young boys; she's a warrior.

"The female characters are still attractive, as are the men, but first and foremost they are fighters," Saito Said.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-06-09 19:47:46

does anyone play doa5???? if so we can get in some matches. after all these years I still play this game, can't wait for the newest instalment

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-06-09 22:11:07

Nope. Got bored after the first year or so... there just wasn't any personality to the game.

2018-06-10 02:44:03

Hi,
I agree with Assault that the game is kind of basic, but that's part of the reason why I like it. I enjoyed DOA5 for what it was. Not the best fighting game in the world, but still quite fun. I liked the sound design and the story, while rather basic, was actually quite lengthy and an enjoyable experience, especially because at the time I played it, there hadn't really been a story-based fighter for a while, I forgot if it was after Mortal Kombat or Injustice, but i was missing the story-based fighters so this actually surprised me at how long the story mode was.

2018-06-10 02:58:35

The story just... wasn't appealing. None of it really made sense and it wasn't presented all that well. But that's just me, though.

2018-06-10 06:16:01

I only play it in verses mode with my nephew, and that's when we're bored and got nothing better to do.

I noticed in DOA 5 a bunch of Virtua fighter characters, did they merge the two, or are they just special guest characters?

2018-06-10 08:45:34

Beneath its simplistic fighting mechanics, doa is actually a very complex and highly competitive game. Its complexities are in the timed counters, team specials, juggles and linked throws that each fighter can perform, often requiring ridiculous amounts of joystick manuvers to pull off, all while using stage hazards to maximize damage. There is even an extensive tutorial for each character so you can learn their stuff. Its fighting mechanic is in fact very similar to virtua fighter series, which is why vf characters made a guest appearance in this game. And what the vf games lack in story, doa more than makes up for, ridiculous as it may be. Also doa stories tend to pick right up where they leave off so if you haven't played 1 through 4 or the 3ds game that recaps 1 through 4, its going to be hard to understand each character and their motives. I got tired of doa5 after they kept releasing updates with characters and costume but no more story content. I also used to feel like the game was just eye candy but the game's evolution is giving me cause to reconsider. So I am very pleased to hear that a proper sequal is coming!

2018-06-10 09:26:32

Unfortunately, the majority of the fighting game community agrees with the eye candy perspective, including myself. That's why I'm glad to hear that they've officially stated they want to make a more mature fighting game this time. Though part of me remembers the same being said about DOA 5... and yes, there are mechanics, but lots of mechanics do not a great fighting game make. Not on their own at least. I played through Dead or Alive dimentions and the storyline for DOA 5 just seemed very disjointed. But enough complaining... part of me is excited for this, like I was with DOA 5... and I will more than likely pick this up, just to try it.

2018-09-10 22:46:41

for all dead or alive fans, I've recently heard the news that finally the release date for the game has been revealed. the game will be out in the US on febuary 15th, 2019 on the PS4, Xbox one and steam.

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2018-09-11 10:12:15

in the newest trailer, it showed off that you can fight in a jurasic park world, with crazy stage transitions

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2018-09-11 12:25:13

also for anyone who didn't know, the latest trailer also shows off ayane and many others

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2018-09-11 19:38:29 (edited by pulseman45 2018-09-11 19:40:29)

I can't really say if I'm excited for this one or not, never really got into the series in part because of the eye candy perspective, I mean even though I have no sight at all the fact that this was so characteristic of that series never really attracted me towards it. Also the episode I tried which was Dead Or Alive 2 I believe had too much of a Virtua Fighter feel in it's sound design, so it didn't feel that much playable at first glance. I don't even manage to dislike the sound design in VF despite that, but I wish there was a game that would feel like VF but with a more advanced sound design, maybe Dead Or Alive 6 will be like that, though obviously not completely. I didn't listen to the trailers and I don't really know if I will.

2018-09-11 20:55:57

Dead or Alive will never have a VF feel.. the only thing they have in common is a button for punches and one for kicks, and the fact that they are both 3d. Gameplay wise they are very different... but your worries sound very similar to mine, but I can appease you with sound design at least... it's gotten very good since DOA 5. And apparently, they're aiming to tone down on the eye candy for this one, according to what the developer is saying. So I have hopes, if low ones.

2018-09-11 22:33:19

That's what I understood so far, though I wonder how VF characters that were introduced in Dead Or Alive 5 compare to their VF incarnation gameplay-wise. I really used to believe the two were very similar back when I first discovered Dead Or Alive long ago, the fact there were VF characters in the fifth game made me wonder if it was indeed the case, only after reading a bit of material about both series could I understand that they were quite different. But back at the time a friend simply lended me Dead or Alive 2 for a few days and when i gave it back I never looked back.
Come to think of it, if I discovered the Bloody Roar series with the first one, with once again a punch and kick button and a quite VF-like sound design, I might have said it feels like VF but with characters that turn into animals. Thankfully I took less time to realise it was quite different too, but it was due to the fact I replayed Bloody Roar 2 not so long ago in order to revive memories from my childhood, and didn't do so for Dead Or Alive.

2018-09-12 00:35:29

I liked DOA 2 hardcore well enough. 5 was also quite fun... but you're right, too much focus on the eye candy and costumes... which is why I'm hoping for something a little mature this time. Shinbori-san, the project head said this time they wanted to make a mature game and one people would find it cool to watch, so if you take him at his word... this game will be better.

2018-09-12 20:18:48 (edited by assault_freak 2018-09-13 02:42:53)

Well, judging from the latest trailer, the characters seem o have a lot more to say... obviously, this doesn't help confirm if the focus will still be on costumes and babes, but so far, I like this direction. I do hope they live up to what they are promising in terms of delivering a more mature fighting game that's cool to both watch and play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH90xzl3vZI&t=5s