2018-04-22 09:23:54 (edited by miziziziz 2018-06-25 21:00:14)

Hey everyone, I've been working on this a lot and finally have a small beta release. I've streamlined the game a lot, added story, a tutorial, saving and loading, a menu, and multiple levels.
You can play it here: https://nartier.itch.io/ptolems-singing-catacombs

Let me know if you have any suggestions for things you'd like to see.
I'm considering charging a little bit for future releases so I can pay someone to make some sound effects I need. Would you guys be alright paying $3 for something like this?

-- Original Post --
Hey everyone, I'm a hobbyist game developer. For my capstone project for my degree, I decided to make an audiogame. It's a small first-person rpg, there's some combat and puzzles to solve. Let me know what you think.
link:  https://gamejolt.com/games/ptolemssingi … mbs/291087

Controls

WASD - movement
    QE - turn left and right
    Shift + Mouse or QE - free look left and right
    LCTRL or LMB (hold) - attack
    Space - echolocate
    R - open chest
    T - open/close inventory
    H - output health
    B - output protection

Inventory Controls

WS - scroll up and down
    AD - switch tabs
    Q - drop item
    E - equip/unequip item, drink potion, spend skill point
    R - examine object

--Mechanics--

Audio Compass:

Your character's heartbeat indicates direction. It pitches up and down the more north and south you face and pans right and left the more east and west you face.

Echolocation:

Echolocating plays syllables of sound. There are tiers of distance that correspond to these. 'aa' means something is 0 to 2 meters in front of you, 'ee' means 2 to 8, and 'oo' means 8+. Notice they are in alphabetical order. These syllables play more rapidly the closer you are to something. Also, consonants are added if something interesting is in front of you; 'n' for enemy, 'f' for friendly, 'k' for interactable, and 'l' for loot. So, for example, if an enemy is 3 meters in front of you, echolocating will play the sound 'nee' repeatedly.

Side Awareness:

An ambient windy sound plays in your ear if there is an opening that way. E.g. a corridor to your right and a wall to your left will result in the sound playing in your right ear.

Footsteps:

A footstep sound plays every meter you step. Listen to the echo of your steps to tell when you're at an intersection or in a large room.

Combat:
if you're wielding a melee weapon and an enemy is within 2 meters of you, hold LMB or CTRL to auto attack. If you're holding a range weapon or spell and an enemy is in front of you at any distance, hold LMB or CTRL to auto attack. Keep in mind spells have splash damage, so you can get hurt if you're too close.

Inventory:
Inventory has four tabs: current equipment, backpack, stats, and journal. When you open your inventory you go to your backpack, which has your current items.

Stats:
You have three stats, melee, ranged, and magic, which increase the amount of damage you do with each type of weapon.
Also, protection from equipped armor reduces the amount of damage you take.

2018-04-22 10:12:09

OK, but this game must be very well sounded. Try ask on developers forum about those things.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2018-04-22 10:16:35

can i download this game?
i tried to download but et said page not found.
can someone help me?

hi. i am a dark matter miner. yeah, i am setting mines that when something steps on it, it will explode and release huge amount of dark matters. oh sorry... i am a slave miner, i am mining dark matters...

2018-04-22 10:25:36

Hi.
Wow, yet an other game for Mac. big_smile
The game looks nice, but for me, the radar while holding the space button is something which takes a while to get used to. Sometimes I get dropped in a place with no enemies at all. It's easy to get stuck. I think I have to play soem more... smile
Keep up the great job.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2018-04-22 10:53:12

hmmm and when i m find item  there is no sound
i dont stand when i m find

2018-04-22 11:05:09 (edited by JasonBlaze 2018-04-22 11:50:54)

edit: never mine, I figure out the puzzle tongue
and I just found my first spell the  fireball smile
I easyly lost sometimes though... more navigation stuff would be nice, and maybe an interact indication sounds when you near an item? , currenly I just hit r randomly hehehe
edit2: I just reach the end of the demo

2018-04-22 13:06:07

Hello folks! Thanks for the game miziziziz. I've been watching development since the very first demos and i must say that the game improved alot.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2018-04-22 14:33:27

Can you not quicklook ahead with shift W and behind with shift S?
Also, is their no way to just say enemy, 3 meters, item 8 meters, or even enemy close, enemy medium, enemy far? The syllables thing is cool, but kinda hard to memorize, but if it's something that really goes with the theme of the game than I understand leaving it in.

2018-04-22 17:30:42

hmmm
i m press shift and w or s
but nothing happens

2018-04-22 18:59:47

Thanks for the game! It was awesome!

2018-04-23 01:00:31

thanks for the feedback everyone, appreciate it!

There is a bug right now if you drop something you won't be able to move until you pick it up.
I've been thinking open spaces don't work very well, harder to navigate, what do you all think?

@music097 looks like the link got shortened automatically, try this: gamejolt.com/games/ptolemssingingcatacombs/291087

@defender, quicklook is a good idea, I could add that. I was thinking of adding a full info mode that specifies enemies and chests and exact distances, perhaps I will in the future. The reason I chose syllables was because it's much quicker information compared to a whole sentence, which is important since the game is in real time.

2018-04-23 06:45:31 (edited by defender 2018-04-23 06:46:23)

You could just talk faster but say the hole thing... the syllables are confusing even if they are admittedly fast, and remembering them can slow you down too.
Here are a couple examples of what I mean, with an enemy 2 meters away for the test (admittedly the simplest possible output) but still
https://cp.sync.com/dl/ec9b0c3d0#pvgbqz … w-egetdi8u
and
https://cp.sync.com/dl/71da0a520#zgc86y … 9-p4ds347s

Quick look is actually pretty nice, you could always have both, one for a fast target acquisition and one for a room overview.
Maybe download some of the GMA Games demo's for an example "Shades of doom", "Sarah and the castle of witchcraft and wizardry", "tank commander" and the like.
I know that "tank commander" for instance lets you do both types of view, and that "Sarah" uses wind to show direction along with "Entombed" by driftwood audio.

2018-04-23 13:18:42

hello guys i can't download the game please give me a working link

2018-04-23 14:27:37

Hello there! smile Personally I don't think the navigating system  needs much changes. I managed to complete the demo a few times, and ah, I just love the pusles. Perhaps we need footsteps sounds for the enemies and some other reference sounds like items and the like.
Best regards, Haramir.

2018-04-24 01:47:09

is there any to have a32 bit vertion?

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2018-04-24 17:12:40

hello guys when i press enter on the download link, it shows me indian games and i can't download it please help me.
thanks alot

2018-04-24 17:21:01

wow miziziziz! I will be trying it! I would like to see the changes. smile

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2018-06-25 21:00:49

I just finished the first beta release of PTS, go check it out on itch: https://nartier.itch.io/ptolems-singing-catacombs

2018-06-25 23:38:51

Wow! The game is way better and I'll probably end up recording gameplays of it. Please keep up the great work.
Best regards, Haramir.

2018-06-29 04:56:49

Okay, for me, hotkeys are introduced too quickly, especially the inventory and equipment menu, and when I try to fight the first guardian, I press control and nothing happens, I step away, he comes for me, and finishes me off.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2018-06-29 05:33:03

can you make 32 bit virsion

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2018-06-29 21:31:03

Yo folks! For those who tryed but got no success, all the game's keys are also in the first post. For attacking, this game emules a locking system, which in practice you have to face the enemy and hold the attack button. I managed to finish the first demo btw
and really enjoyed the experience.

2018-06-30 02:17:42

Hi all. Can anyone help me with the boss gate opening? Can't figure out how to open the gate where you have two pressure plates.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2018-07-08 00:44:52

Hi.
Could someone upload the game to dropbox or sendspace please? I really want to play this game, but NVDA doesn't read the download page properly. When I click on download nothing happens.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order