2017-12-15 21:21:59

This might be old news, but, I just checked the app store for app updates and noted that Seeing AI 2.0 was recently released and is now available in 35 countries. Enjoy!

2017-12-15 22:01:34

Yeah I have tested all the new features but one. The new things are, new handwriting recognition channel, new color identifier channel, new light identifier channel, and finally, and probably the most useful, new currency identifier channel that can do more than U.S. dollars. I've tested all but handwriting, which I will do, and if it can read my writing, wow. Anyway, the color thing is cool, it can do one or more colors in an area, the light thing plays a tone, the lower the tone, the darker it is where the camera is pointing, the higher the tone, the brighter it is. I only have U.S. bills, but it got all of them correct, and it can identify them  regardless of orientation.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-15 23:18:17

Wow! I haven't had a chance to play with the new version, but it sounds like Microsoft has been busy as beavers.

One thing that handwriting reader might be useful for is greeting cards. They often use fonts that don't OCR very well, but a hand writing reader might be able to recognize and read them.

2017-12-16 06:49:54 (edited by queenslight 2017-12-16 06:51:22)

I just wanted to throw out here, for those wanting the Android version of Seeing AI to come out quicker for next year, send off an email to:

[email protected]

In addition, here's an article which Jonathan Mosen did on the product:

http://mosen.org/seeing-ai-my-pick-for- … p-of-2017/

NB. There is a similar product for Android users called Smart Lens - Text Scanner OCR which is "similar," though it does not have that "Auto reading" of Short text from a screen.

Although I use a Galaxy S8 primarily, I do have an iPod Touch for those times when I wish to dive in the Apple world.

2017-12-16 08:46:52

... Microsoft developing products for Apple devices? Anyone else find this both sad and hilarious at the same time?
Still though, this seems kinda awesome. I'm looking forward to trying it out, I'm currently in the process of unlocking my apple id.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2017-12-16 09:54:34

downloading the update now. didn't know it was out. and the thing that amuses me is with all this can do I still know people who swear KNFB reader is the greatest thing ever made even though it cost them a fortune when this is free and way way better.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2017-12-16 12:57:08

This is, hands down, by far the coolest app my wife and I have on our devices.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-12-16 13:38:32

@SirBadger

That is still a valid argument. I also have KNFB Reader and wouldn't part with it for anything. The difference that make KNFB Reader worth the money is where the OCR process is performed. With KNFB Reader the OCR process is done right on your device, so it's the best choice when scanning things that have personal information you'd rather not share. Most, if not all, free and inexpensive OCR apps take a picture of the document, then send it to some server in the cloud, and there's no telling if the image is destroyed after the OCR is done or not. Not a very good choice if you are concerned about the privacy of your personal information.

----

AppleVis is currently accepting votes for their golden apple awards for 2017, Seeing AI is a nominee in the best assistive technology app category, I voted for it.

2017-12-16 16:50:20

Seeing AI is way better than KNFB, KNFB is utter crap. Luckily, I got it for free due to a promotion my phone carrier was running for new customers, or I would be extremely pissed. Anytime I scan with it, I get nothing but complete garbage. Seeing AI doesn't do this, it scans perfectly. I have the enterprise version of KNFB, which is even more of a shocker.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-16 16:57:03

That's very strange. I'll admit that every once in a while I get alphabet soup when I use KNFB Reader, but it doesn't happen very often and usually retaking the picture sorts it out.

On the other side of the coin I've never been able to get anything usable out of Seeing AI's short text mode.

2017-12-16 20:32:30

Brandon, knfb is largely dependent on your phone. If it has a bad camera, the ocr is gonna product shitty results through no fault of its own. I know this is definitely not a top concern for us, I would seriously consider looking at the rant and rave about your phone's camera. That is the first thing younger folks are gonna consider when reviewing a phone before anything else, how good is the damn camera? And as annoying as that is when there could be much more important things to focus on (ram, the cpu, audio performance, charging speed *cudos to you Qualcom*) the camera is for whatever reason a primary concern. But that can play in our favor for ocr. With that said, I highly recommend the nexus 6p not only for its performance and use of the right cpu brand Qualcom, but its crystal clear 12mp camera which, for the most part, odes knfb amazingly well. It may have a few random short bursts of Engrish here and there but it gets the meat and potatoes of most documents. As for seeing AI, I will agree it is beyond impressive being a free app, but if you wouldn't tell it to someone's face, don't scan anything you want to keep to yourself. That's what knfb is for.

2017-12-16 20:57:25

well its iphone 7, while not having the best camera, has features I like and use. I don't have plans to switch to android anytime soon. I like it, but I like iOS better.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-16 21:28:32

For those wondering, @ironcross32 is referring to
https://pcsorders.sprint.com/accessibil … -Flyer.pdf

2017-12-17 01:20:00

yeah but I think its over now though

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-17 10:46:04

The new version does interest me, but accept it doesn't work anymore on my iPhone.

2017-12-17 18:23:05

the big issue of this app is the battery.
use for 20 minutes, and you have less than 60%.
This has to be fixed.

I will never use this app in full time while this problem is not solved.
This is, if it have solution.
Apart from this problem, it is a great app.
cheers.

2017-12-17 18:54:41 (edited by Chris 2017-12-17 18:57:50)

I think the battery issue has to do with the constant processing the app is doing as it looks for things to identify. You can press the pause button to stop the automatic scanning. I'm not sure if it can be fixed any other way.

This app is awesome! I love the fact that the product channel is available on my iPhone 5s. Previously, it was not for some strange reason.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2017-12-17 20:03:44

Probably a bug that got squashed.

2017-12-17 23:52:27

Does anyone else get page guidance on handwriting? Mine isn't doing it, and it makes catching the text harder for me. I've never had great success with automatic color identifiers, but having a currency reader in the app is a nice bundle. I'm using a 6S, and I love the short text feature so much.

Sugar and spice, and everything ....

2017-12-18 00:26:12

@16 that's any app that uses the camera like that, or any app that uses transcoding etc. that is constantly processing, its not their fault.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-18 00:54:10

We just used it seriously for the first time with a pregnancy test, because why not!  What a freaking blast!  lol

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-12-18 03:09:32

I'm enjoying Seeing AI v2.  The currency and color  matching are nice features.  Just to get devices that do that, independantly, cost in an excess of about 50 bucks for the cheap ones.   I also think the scene previewing  is definitely improved as well. 

Eventually, I'd love to see how much more this app will progress as time goes on.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2018-03-10 18:21:26

For those who want an Android version of Seeing AI, please fill in next survey by MicroSotf:
https://forms.office.com/Pages/Response … kzSjFaWi4u

I read in a place they are working for an Android version. They did first for iOS, it is easier because no such many phone sizes and models.

Emanuel Boboiu
Errare humanum est, sed perseverare... diabolicum.
For other Audio Games and programs, visit www.scripts.pontes.ro!

2018-03-10 18:37:19

Manu: I'm the one who did it! I hope I will wait this soon.

73 Wj3u