2018-01-10 19:25:47

So I recently reformatted my main Windows 7 pc to upgrade to Windows 10. Having done that though, I notice that none of my audio devices show up as realtech audio devices now. My headphone audio works, but when I check the driver manufacturer for either that device or speakers which say unplugged, both list microsoft as the manufacturer. Do I simply have to redownload the high definition audio drivers from realtech? The three plugs on the back of my computer used for my 5.1 surround system don't seem to work, as nothing is detected as being connected, and before I was running off realtech drivers. Any thoughts on this? Never did a clean install of Windows myself before, and I thought it already downloaded everything I needed.

Discord: clemchowder633

2018-01-10 20:43:01

Windows comes with it's own audio drivers which provide just the basic features in order to support the widest possible range of sound cards. To get the specific ones for your sound card, I would first install all updates in Windows update if any as it will usually auto detect the correct ones. If not, check the model of your sound card and get them from the manufacturer's website.

2018-01-10 21:11:39

Well, windows update didn't download the realtech drivers, and I now from the previous use of this computer the chipset is a realtech audio chipset... so guess I have to download it manually. Makes sense about Windows's own sound driver though, since that's the only way the preinstallation environment could be voiced.

2018-01-11 00:07:56 (edited by Chris 2018-01-11 00:09:11)

Enter the model of your computer into a search engine and download the drivers from the manufacturer's support page. In the future, you might want to consider saving a copy of all the necessary drivers to a removable drive before installing Windows from scratch. This will save you time when you need to install drivers. You should always have a USB audio device on hand so that you know you'll always have sound regardless if the drivers are detected by Windows or not.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-01-11 02:15:38

The computer was a custom built computer, so there's no exact model number for it. lol But I know the onboard soundcard is a realtech card. Windows downloaded everything else, that I'm aware of. Wil have to check the update history.

2018-01-11 05:37:59

Try looking for drivers based on the model number of your sound card. I'm surprised Windows 10 didn't automatically go out and grab the drivers automatically.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2018-01-11 06:54:44

@assault_freak

Windows 10 should support Realtek audio cards out of the box, but I have experienced issues even when upgrading Windows to build 1709.

I suggest that you grab the Realtek driver package for Windows 10 and install it.

Unfortunately in addition you'll get some crapware, but you might want to create a clean driver backup of all non-Microsoft drivers for later re-installation.

To export and import non-Microsoft drivers under Windows 10 follow this guide:

https://www.top-password.com/blog/backu … n-windows/

2018-01-11 08:11:55

I grabbed the realtech audio drivers off their website. It seems to be working now as my speakers show up as realtech high definition audio device. But when I try actually plugging in speakers, namely my 5.1 surround system, I don't get prompts asking me what I want to assign the connections to, and no sound comes out of those chanels. The nly sound I'm getting is the headphone channel at the front of my computer which comes up automatically.

2018-01-11 10:13:13

you may need to go in to the realtec control panel or what ever they call it now and set it up that way so it detects new inputs and outputs etc. haven't done that in a while but last time I did the interface wasn't fun to play about with but was doable.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-01-11 10:21:43

As I said, the hd audio manager is missing, which is part of the problem. I downloaded the drivers and they work fine, because that's what shows as my audio device. But I can't find the realtech control pannel.

2018-01-11 10:42:59

Update. Well, I think I figured out why the hd audio manager isn't runing... the executables are there, but they aren't running even when I go into the program files directory and click on them... sigh. Wish this were simpler... any thoughts on this one? I could just try reinstaling the whole thing, but am afraid to disable and uninstall my drivers in case I lose sound entirely.

2018-01-11 20:02:45

No other thoughts on this one? I'm absolutely stumped as to what to do, and don't want to use my desktop purely with headphones if I don't have to.

2018-01-11 22:18:41

Hi. One thing i can tell you is that when you click uninstall, you wont lose sound for sure as that would just revert you back to the default windows drivers.

2018-01-11 22:29:31

The problem is that it's also possible the two drivers are trying to fight for control of the soundcard which should be a realtek card. The driver works, but the control pannel doesn't run so I can't set inputs... that's the problem I am trying to fix.

2018-01-11 23:13:49

of all the silly sound issues I've run into on windows, this is seriously not one of them.  I hope it gets resolved and will be watching this topic closely because I'd like to see what the outcome is, in the event I should ever have to deal with it myself, given I've just gotten into custom built PC's and the like.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-01-12 01:12:10

Hi. No, something like 2 drivers fighting is definitely not possible. Rather, the reason you can't run the audio control panel might be that you did download the drivers from realtek's website, but not the drivers for your exact sound card model so they work, but you can't change too much.

2018-01-12 01:43:31

Well, there's only one driver listed on the realtek website for my system... they don't list them by sound card. How exactly do I find out which exact card I have? All anything tells me is that it's realtek high definition audio.

2018-01-12 03:08:51

I see. They must have a universal driver then. I am not exactly sure what to do in such a case. Try searching google and seeing what will you come across..

2018-01-12 04:58:56

Still hoping other people will give suggestions at least. Tried googling already and it's coming up with nothing so far. Keep the thoughts coming, anyway... this is very frustrating!

2018-01-12 07:58:38

use driverpack online

2018-01-12 08:03:49

use driverpack online plese use  driver pack

2018-01-12 17:53:18

@assault_freak

I encountered a similar issue on my Intel NUC after upgrading to Windows 10 build 1709, and I solved the problem by going into Device Manager and removing the default Microsoft driver for the sound card, and then installing the Realtek package.

2018-01-12 19:57:25

My question is how you were able to do this without any sound to help you in reinstalling the realtek package. You have to have no sound at one point or another in order to install it... at post 20, I don't want to use driver pack unless Inow what it is and how to use it accessibly. A bit more information, please.

2018-01-12 22:09:50 (edited by jacob100 2018-01-12 22:10:46)

@assault_freak

I didn't complete the process without sound. I had to use a usb headset.

I connected the usb headset (my headset is Zenhiser  but any usb headset or usb sound card will probably do) to the pc before booting Windows.

After booting into Windows, I  opened the Device Manager and
removed the  driver for the Realtek sound card.

Apparently Windows 10 detects the card but uses a nonworking driver resulting in no sound.

I resolved the issue simply by removing the default driver and installing the correct driver from the Realtek package.

2018-01-13 03:18:04

Interesting... but I am not having a no sound problem. I may try uninstalling both drivers and then installing the realtek driver again if I can get an external sound device.