2018-01-09 12:32:43 (edited by braille0109 2018-01-09 13:01:59)

Hi there,
I guess the subject pretty much says it all. I'll be using the thing for Virtual machines, gaming, text, well, anything and everything. As it currently stands, I'm leading towards the AMD that goes between 2.7 and 3.6 GHZ, not to mention my current Intel is absolutely horrible. Enabling 3d on a game, is enough for core temp to give me a temperature notification. Having said all this, would the AMD work fine for what I need it, or am I better off sticking with Intel?  I mean, I found Intel for the same price as well, but given that I found I7s that go up to 3.8 GHZ, and this thing goes up to 3.6, it's obviously stronger than an i5. I'm slightly confused about single threaded and stuff like that, which is yet another reason why I'm not sure whether this would work for me. Everyone who I know has Intel, I had an AMD once, but we're speaking of 2009, so that won't help here. This is supposed to be the latest AMD, against 8th or 7th gen I5. Again, I am finding nothing of what I'm after on google. No one goes out on specific issues. I mean, I heard AMD is known for over heating. OK, so how bad do they over heat? Again, I can't find nothing at all. I know people always tell me to not buy AMD in laptops, but would these premium end of AMD still over heat, or just flop over and die? Lenovo seems to be having good deals around, so storage and RAM doesn't matter, nor does price. my only fear is AMD, but if it works fine, then I wouldn't think about it at all. It's just the lack of AMD knowledge, and user information, that I'm failing to locate. so any help will be appreciated.

2018-01-09 12:45:33

Though I can't point to a specific reason, I've always preferred AMD processors myself. I've had AMD CPUs from Pentium class around 2000 to a 3 GHz 6 core Athlon? in 2009 and have never been disappointed with any of them.

2018-01-09 13:01:39

is over heating or any of that still an issue? I mean, my second gen i5  almost blew up twice, it reached 99 degrees C more than once. but my AMD HP crashed on me, forcing me to reinstall windows, and losing everything. so much for one over the other. what are your experiences with AMD when it comes to secondary, or 2 operating systems at the time,  and gaming? mainly BGT games at this point, but it depends on what gets released. personally, I don't see how I would have a problem, given that an old i3 used to survive what this i5 fails, but you can never be sure.

2018-01-09 13:50:50

Hi.
Hmm, totally different storie for me actually, I was forced to deal with a laptop with an AMD CPU and constantly had issues with overheating, CPU trhottling and so on, it weren't pleasant times with that thing.
I was quite happy when I got my gaming rig last year with an intel core i7 CPU, no problems with overheating and such till now.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2018-01-09 13:51:44 (edited by Orko 2018-01-09 13:58:12)

I used to run VMWare Workstation with several virtual machines on my AMD based machine back before I lost my vision and never had a problem with overheating, stability, or performance.

My last AMD machine with a 3 GHz 6 core CPU was built as a gaming system and it ran all the current hot games very smoothly, again with no overheating, stability, or performance problems.

My current system is a Dell Latitude laptop based on a 2.5 GHz Intel Core2 duo CPU and it also runs very smoothly with no real issues. The CPU fan does kick into high gear when the CPU is under a load, such as when I am doing a full virus scan just prior to backing up the system, or when doing the back up.

2018-01-09 14:15:15

see, I'm currently with a latitude e6420, with a second gen i5, with 4 gigs of RAM. with this thing, just by going on youTube, it kicks into the 80s, though it's been in the 90s with nothing opened before. this thing has never went below 60 degrees, even after boot up. my AMD also struggled to remain cool, but unlike this, on that, the fan just went on full speed, and that did the job. I have not had this much heat coming from any laptop I've owned.  so would an AMD over heat like this one? and it's worth mentioning I'm speaking of a 2009 laptop with the AMD, I've no ideas what the 2018 grange of AMD are like. so is there nothing else I have to worry about, besides over heating?

2018-01-09 16:01:44

Don't ever by AMD, unless you want a glorified power guzzling space heater that locks up and blue screens the system all the time XD. Really the only thing Ryzen has to offer is more pCI lanes to the CPU, but you won't hit a situation where you need that with your use case, so I would recommend Intel, even if they are spy happy sons of sandwiches

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-09 16:26:35

@ironcross32

Well, that is your opinion and you are welcome to it, whatever problems you've had with AMD they are not the norm. Like myself, I also know quite a few other people who've had nothing but good experiences with AMD processors, so you'll have a hard time convincing me they are as bad as you claim.

2018-01-09 17:13:01

You should really also check other sources, lots of hardware comparisons around comparing amd and intel. From what I've red (this was a while ago), intel performs better in single threaded applications, like games. Single threading means that a game can only execute one instruction at a time because it needs those results for the next instruction. If you are going to run lots of vms, rizen might be a good option, I think it's somewhat better when it comes to multithreading. One virtual machine does not depend on another virtual machine, so they can actually execute instructions at the same time. Never the less, there have been much better comparisons done and I am not going to repeat them, see for your self. Also remember to check meltdown / spector speed differences on processors.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2018-01-09 17:14:37 (edited by afrim 2018-01-09 17:16:21)

Older models of AMD processors used to heat to a point where you'd expect the computer to blow up; however, last month I tried my friend's laptop with a Quad core AMD processor and I didn't see a sign of heating for the time I used it. I also have two computers at home with AMD, namely an HP, which I've expected many times to blow up, but the same cannot be said about my Asrock desktop with an AMD processor which never showed any heating issues. It was bought in 2010, and today, while running the latest version of Windows 10, again works flawlessly and never overheats.
I also have an HP laptop which is used as my primary computer. It has an intel core I5 fifth Generation at 2.3 GHZ with turbo boost up to 2.8 GHZ. It has so far never shown signs of overheating, however, if you load an application that uses a lot of power, the battery will drain exceptionally quickly.

2018-01-09 17:17:18

There are two advantages to AMD and Intel. Both are excellent and both do wonderful things with their processors.
AMD: If your looking for lots of power but no hyperthreading and less cores, this is your choice. I have not seen an AMD processor with hyperthreading.
Intel: If you want more cores (Intel processors can get up to 22 cores each, and a duel-processor motherboard up to 44), with up to (with hyperthreading) 88 cores but a lacking speed of only 2.22 GHZ with 88 cores (hyperthreading), 44 cores (without, multiprocessor), or 22 cores (uniprocessor), then Intel is for you.
As I said, both are amazing vendors. They both have amazing processors. But if you've had problems with computers with AMD or Intel processors, don't blame the processor manufacturer -- it's most likely not their fault but the computer manufacturers fault. As a good computer manufacturer, I'd recommend System76 (www.system76.com). The laptop I'm writing this post on is now my primary one and I love it, and it's a system76 laptop with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2901 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), overclockable to 3.5 GHZ, 32 GB of RAM, 2 internal disks. They let you customize your computer too, and they build it to your wants and needs. Their computers come with Linux but Windows is easy to install on them.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-01-09 17:43:48 (edited by Orko 2018-01-09 17:51:24)

Whether a processor overheats or not is not a good way to rank or rate processors because there are so many factors involved that the CPU manufacturer has no control over. How efficient is the heat sink or the cooling fan? How well designed is the air flow through the system? Is the system air or water cooled? Is the system overclocked or running at designed speeds? And so on? Two systems with the same CPU, motherboard, memory, hard drives, etc., but with different heat sinks and fans can have very different CPU temperatures.

The last system I built had over heating problems until I replaced the case it was in with one that had a much more efficient air flow design, once it was in the new case, all the over heating problems disappeared.

Also, how clean do you keep your system. A system that is kept clean will dissipate heat more efficiently and run much more cool than a system that is rarely cleaned and choked with dust.

While AMD processors may not have Intel's hyperthreading, they frequently don't need it to match the Performance of an equivalent Intel CPU. An instruction that takes 4 clock cycles on an Intel CPU often takes only 2 clock cycles on an AMD CPU. I can't count the number of times I've looked at the minimum system requirements for a game and seen something like: requires a 2.5 GHzz Intel CPU or a 1.5 GHz AMD CPU.

2018-01-09 20:03:57

I was pretty well into the Intel camp for the last few years, up to my main Core-I7-6700 desktop which I built 2 years ago. But if I was building a new one now, I'd go for one of the AMD ryzens instead, because they seem to be more power efficient and cheaper for the same or better performance. And now we find out they're not as susceptible to Meltdown as Intel, well that's just icing on the cake.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2018-01-09 20:12:49

hold the bus here. We're beyond the days of clocking the balls off your FX8350 and then using the resulting heat to fry an egg. AMD CPUS will not over heat, start fires, tear wholes in the fabric of reality or summon eldritch beings from other dimensions. Intel fanboys, however will trot out this argument endlessly, claiming that they do. Now, I'm going to say right up front that I dislike intel not because they have made better CPUS than AMD for a few years or anything like that,  That is undeniable and to attempt to tell someone otherwise is stupid.  I have disliked intel from the days of  their  attempts to gain a monopoly through Crap like this, but have ended up using their stuff in some builds anyway. If their dodgy market practices weren't enough, intel have essentially sat on their asses since the days of sandy bridge and year after year brought out a slightly faster version of the same CPU with a bell or a whistle here and their. Yes, they became the apple of the CPU market, doing next to nothing to drive consumer CPUs forward accept making them a little faster year after year. If  AMD hadn't pulled off Ryzen, we would all still be looking at quad and dual core CPUs across the board for general consumer use. Ryzen is the reason that we now have mainstream hex core CPUs from intel, Ryzen is the reason why we have quad core ULV core i5 and i7s. Ryzin is extremely competitive with intel, They stay cool, all of the desktop ryzen line can be overclocked, they are far cheaper, and they perform almost the same as their intel counterparts. Intel has a lead when it comes to single threaded performance, but  this is probably down to a more mature Architecture. You have to remember that intel went from barely being able to compete on this front with bulldozer, to right within spitting distance with ryzen. If OP could post a link to what they want to buy that'd be cool as "AMD that goes between 2.7 and 3.6 GHZ" could be anything really tongue

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2018-01-09 20:59:03

Will that is true, AMD forces Intel to be competitive, if they had their choice, Intel would sit on their tech for a long time, milking the previous gen stuff for all its worth, but, since AMD keeps them moving forward, its better for both markets actually.

I will also not buy any HP stuff. I had so many HP devices that broke, and the weirdest of all was a digital camera that I liked a lot, even though it was simple to use. It just had a physical cover over the lens that acted like an on / off switch, zoom, and a picture button. There were other menu stuff there too, but the weirdest thing was, I had it at a party, and yeah I was drunk, and other people were drunk, but it didn't break during that, it broke during the night. I didn't really have anywhere to store it, so I put it in my shoe, put a sock over top, and put it under the bed I was sleeping in. Now, the next morning, I get it out, and the battery door is broken. It is sort of a tension system, because the batteries get pushed by the springs to the contacts on the under side of the door. Now, there is a clip that keeps this from pushing the door open, so, when you wanted to change the batteries, you just slide the little switch over, which released the clip from its little notch and the door popped open due to the pressure from the batteries. That clip got broken somehow. I mean, if someone was under my damn bed, I'd know it, I was drunk, but not wasted, so the thing broke just randomly in the night not even doing anything.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-09 21:24:01

I have an hp laptop with AMD a6 quad core cpu, it works great. my son has a lenovo with amd a12, also works great. no overheating. both run nice and cool even when playing games like GTA 5. my son likes that game. he is sighted.

2018-01-09 21:24:37

special thanks goes out to posts 9, 11, 14. let me answer in this in order. 9: I did read reviews, but honestly, as many questions, that many opinions. I even looked at tables, comparing them on things like CPU boss. as you may remember, I even raised that I looked up things like multy and single threaded in my original post, but honestly, I've no ideas what those, in my instance, mean. again, thanks much for the suggestions, and reviews.
11: honestly, I'm laughing, because what you said, is exactly my experience. it's not the processor, but the manufacturer. I had an AMD, which was my one and only AMD, dying on me. on the other hand, this sandy bridge is pretty much in the graveyard already. this is a dell, that was a HP. I have gathered that there is no right or wrong choice, hence I thought I'll ask here, not to mention that I will get personal experiences this way, whereas articles, are, after all, just articles.
and yes, I did notice, that the intel speeds aren't that amazing, but honestly, when it comes to 44, 22, cores, that's beyond my knowledge LOL. I'm not the greatest hardware person around.

14: again, special thanks. first, I can post a link to the laptop I was looking at on eBay, if that works. as for AMD not over heating, I was hoping that that was the case. it's kind of funny, though, that I noticed the same. an 8th gen i5 runs with the same speed, with an additional turbo boost, as my sandy bridge. when I looked at AMD, they had a much bigger range, and I heard roomers that they are way better for desktops, but wasn't sure on laptops. honestly, I can't see single threading to be a serious issue  for myself, but just wanted to clarify.

and post 10. you seem to have similar issues with your HP as I have. fan constantly on full speed, feels way too warm, but keeps going and going. and this just confirms what I was told, AMD on desktops has been good for a while now. I also heard instances where a lot depends on the type of cooling system, that's being used. which, I believe someone else has also mentioned.

2018-01-09 21:32:50

the UK side seems to have a slightly different CPU spec, and a bigger hard drive, but this is what I found with a quick research. if anyone could let me know if this is worth investigating, that will be great. https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-320-15-A1 … B073WQLZ7M

2018-01-09 22:01:13

I used once hp probook with amd  processor integrated radeon graphics
the problem is my laptop was reached up to 80 90 celsius,
I just called the hp service,  they asked me they needs to check my laptop
they replaced once the fan,  it worked great,  after 2 year,  the temperature did up to 90 c again
and cpu completely dead
even i didn't play heavly games or programs
just used for audio stuff,  and listening some movies in websites
let's get straight
In my work place we using lenovo laptops with amd processors,  they never overheating,  the models are released and they purchased in 2014
the fault is computer manufacturers
they uses cheap heatsink,  cheap materials, poor fans in inside,
it will work 2 year great
do not expect to longer use hp laptops

If you do not believe me, go buy cheap poor fan,  use in your intel I 7 processor with,
you'll see it will go 80 90 celsius too
at last no defense for poor, defective hp products
I'd had poor experience enough with their poor quality service customer support
last time my warranty are not done,  but they said your cpu is burnt,  we cannot replace due to cpu not in our stock
they said motherboard is doesn't responding the their testing machine also
I just wonder why main board damaged,
cpu burnt
this seems their service staff doesn't know how to repair the motherboard or cpu
they blames me,  about this,
this is their thoughts
I didn't use my laptop in blanked or pillows or in bed surface
I cannot prove for them,  but I am saying If you want to purchase new computer,  go with ryzen or other amd processors
the decent amd processors are not overheating.
intel is good too low power saving and single hyper core  performance
currently my asus laptop running intel I 5,  6 gen processor,  it's not overheating yet thought
we'll see what happens in 2018
the qualcomm announces snapdragon 845 processors for laptops

2018-01-09 23:25:08 (edited by Exodus 2018-01-09 23:29:59)

ah... Bristol ridge. AMD brought these out right at the end of Bulldozer's life. They were supposed to fill in until raven ridge, or ryzen U launnched for laptops in 2018. It's 2018 now, and the only ryzen U laptop in the wild at the moment is the HP envy 360. If you have more money to burn, you may want to go for that particular machine. If not, this is still a solid chip at that price. The ryzen 2500U is a big step up in power, but you'll pay highly for it at the moment. Also, stick an SSD in that machine you linked to. The reason why these AMD machines score so low in benchmarks is the terrible drives they come with.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2018-01-09 23:35:37

I think 95°C is the melting point of the silicon in the chips... fwiw that's hot. My desktop would run around 87°C most of th the time.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-10 00:10:26

so would the same thing, with a 7th gen i5 be better? and fortunately, the dell is metal, so there's nothing to melt. tongue

2018-01-10 02:27:43

In certain workloads, the i5 will pull ahead and the benchmarks show this. Will you notice it in real life? I doubt it. As I said, bulldozer was a tough architecture for AMD, they squeezed everything from it possible in bristol ridge and it only manages to keep up with intel parts in the same bracket due to it's high clock speeds. The GPU side is a different story, The r7 integrated GPU will outperform intel's offering any day, so if you wish to do any type of main stream pc gaming the lower CPU performance is what you will trade for a more powerful GPU if you go with AMD. If you get the same machine with a 7th generation i5, it's an extra $110 for a slightly better dual core CPU and a worse GPU.

What's your budget for this thing and  does it *have* to be a laptop are the things I kinda want to know. If your budget is $400 and you have to take the machine with you then I think that is honestly as good as you're going to get. I don't think anything  is going to beat out that combination of hardware at that price.

2018-01-10 02:36:13

LOL! 95 degrees C isn't even the boiling point of water, no way silicon will melt at that low temperature.

Time was I would say that AMD was definitely the superior CPU, but that would be from nearly ten years of using them with never a problem getting in the way. But now that I've been using an Intel based laptop for ten years, also with no problems to speak of, I think the best answer to this question is that neither one is better than the other, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. So its down to personal preference.

Kind of like which came first, the chicken or the egg. Neither answer is right or wrong, it's just an answer.

2018-01-10 02:46:36

ironcross32 wrote:

Don't ever by AMD, unless you want a glorified power guzzling space heater that locks up and blue screens the system all the time XD. Really the only thing Ryzen has to offer is more pCI lanes to the CPU, but you won't hit a situation where you need that with your use case, so I would recommend Intel, even if they are spy happy sons of sandwiches

lol what a joke. had a pc with an AMD in it for almost 6 years, and the only time I had any problems with it was on windows 10. windows 7 is ok though. no random restarts, no blue screens, nothing. never even overheated.