2018-01-08 22:20:51

Hi everyone,
So I'm not sure if it's just me who finds this incredibly annoying, but why are so many people starting to double, triple, and even quad post here? There's an edit button, which I think most, don't realize? I guess. Double posting I can sort of understand if you're incredibly busy, but I still really wish it wouldn't happen.
Sorry mods if this is against some rule, I just really wanted to rant. Thanks for listening.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!

2018-01-08 23:12:50

I wouldn't say it bothers me per se, well, maybe a little, its just sheer laziness I guess more than anything else.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2018-01-09 00:06:13

The thing is. I am not bothered by them, and I can see why people use it against editing of posts. When you read somebody's post, you're done with it and you wouldn't ever notice if they edited it to put additional informations, so people just post another one.

2018-01-09 00:08:12

I can understand it if some time has passed between the two posts because editing your last message instead of posting a new one won't flag the topic as having a new post, so your edited message may never get read by most people.

But if only a few minutes have passed, then there's no reason not to edit your last message.

2018-01-09 00:56:03

I guess I've done it but as other people have said it's usually because editing is probably not going to get it read again, or adding the additional information in the post I just put up wouldn't make sence or it has nothing to do wwith the previous post was about.
for example, I might answer a question about a game or what ever and then decide to ask something else. makes more sence to put it in a different post than in the same one because odds are once people have read the response they won't carry on reading the rest.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2018-01-09 01:48:13

-Moderation!

Since this is exclusively a forum question this topic is being moved to the site and forum feedback area.

I find it a little ironic that people are now expressing irritation at double posting. A few years ago  double posting was directly prohibited on the forum, but after a lively discussion on the matter the over all decision was to change the settings and allow.

The best arguement in favour of that was of successive posts, especially things like multipart guides, or blog style ongoing discussions of some matter or other in the same topic.

The best arguement against was exactly what people have sighted here, the fact that there are members who use the  posting to use the forum like a chat system and put in a lot of one sentence posts.

what the other mods and I have been doing is ignoring double posting unless it's particularly egregious, with five or six short one sentence posts in a row and then giving a gentle pointer that such is not recommended because of how people use screen readers.

Another very! odd cause for double posting I have noticed, is that you do get members (often new members), who always use the "quote" button rather than the reply button, so will answer someone's post by hitting quote and then having the entire previous post before they're reply.

this I admit I do find somewhat irksome, since as I've already read the prior post, having to wade through it again to get to the person's reply, especially when they've made multiple posts in a row is somewhat frustrating.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-09 13:07:57

double posting, if you're responding to someone, I see the point in it. but quoting, and not deleting the unrelevant parts, now that triggers me. at least quote it below the message, or tidy it up. triple posting is too much, but double posting, as I say, if it's well thought out, or if it's for the benefit of others, and is not laziness, I'm cool with it.

2018-01-09 15:48:15

I'm going to prove a massive hypocrite here, but I'm not a big fan of double-posting either but I am a serious offender as well.

1. Often I write massive posts with a lot of info but forget one or two major parts at the end that could be posted on their own but probably should've been or at least could've been in the previous post. I didn't notice the edit button so I'll do that from now on in these situations and I apologize if I've made anyone super-mad.
2. I think posting again is okay if a lot of time has passed. For example I post about Crazy Party one evening, play for a bit and come back a couple days later with some more news or questions or an idea for the game, and post the unrelated bits in a new post. I think that is okay.
3. If the forum topic is some sort of game like my favorite "ask the next person a question," then  it is definitely not okay to do that, and in this case I am consistent and practice what I preach.

But I didn't find the edit button before so letting me know there was one should keep me from doing it that much anymore.

2018-01-09 16:22:21

I'm in favor of double posting; I'm not in favor of the abuse that can result from it.  Sadly, every system has some sort of reverse assembly, meaning that any system can be abused to some degree or another.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2018-01-09 17:11:01

Actually bookrage, the second situation you mention, where your playing a game, express an opinion then come back later with a different opinion is one occasion where I can see the logic of double posting.

I have done that myself and nearly did so again in the hooboodle.topic to separate my registration woes with my thoughts about the games themselves, though in the end I decided it was soon enough after the initial post for it not to matter.

I think I will update the faq with something about use of the quote function, since it does seem a common problem, and is somewhat ircsome if your using a screen reader.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2018-01-09 18:03:24

Honestly I only mind when it's several posts in a row, 2 is fine with me, and if at least a few days has passed between them, especially if it's a dev talking about updates and using that to bump their topic, I kind of understand.

2018-01-09 21:03:48

I'm in the same camp as most here I think, as in: I don't mind them if they have extra info, because the chances re I don't know if I'm going to re-read someone's initial post when going through a topic again, I always check for new posts specifically. If these posts are more of the one-sentence type, then no way, that's just annoying unless said sentence has valuable info to the topic.

2018-01-09 23:16:55

I agree with most of you. Honestly the main reason I created this topic was because I follow the warsim topic, and finally snapped.

Prier practice and preparation prevents piss poor performance!