2017-12-16 16:39:52

@49 however: H, O, W, E, V, E, R

hth

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-19 23:59:17

so I have wanted to stay out of this fred because of our grate flame throwing knight aka effen who seems to need to throw flame where ever he cans, I am only wondering how didn't he vaste all of his gass, haha, if this looks stupid, it should be. big_smile
anyway, keep up this work. I really would like this to have the same thing for brases, because indenting the intire code is something witch is very boring shurely not something witch I plan to do for crisstmuss holidays. big_smile
@effen
ok, you said that this program sucks, you toled all us that bgt sucks, well, that you think that bgt sucks, you just proved that your matureness sucks,  so why still continue with this? And, agree with carters post about putting that on your log in screen. hahahahahahahaha I am sorry but that was really funny. big_smile
On a more serious note, if you think that deleting your intire my documents folder is a stupid virus, well maybe if I did that on a folder like dropbox or  some other shared folder where you keep your sources I know that you won't be so happy after. shure, you can use system restore, but finding out that someone has just caboom, deleted the intire source of the game even if it can be undone would very much damage your mental health I am shure of that. And, only thing that you need to do to make a bgt script run in the background is to simply don't display the window. Not to menschen that as carter said it can download files, it can run dlls though I know it's not the best, it can connect to some other server using the network object, etc.
and btw Rastislav, don't want to be rood but put a space between how and ever, because hovever really sounds strange. Also you may want to change your title, don't want to sound picky but I know that good spelling sometimes attracts more people, witch is very strange but, there are simply such people such people.

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-12-20 03:35:01

BigGun, I really don't want to come off as harsh as Ethin usually does but please do not try to teach others spelling before you radically improve your own.

However is a perfectly normal English word which is in deed written without a space.
Ethin's name is spelled E t h i n.
The word which, as in which language is better for programming, is spelled w h i c h.
The word thread as in forum thread is spelled t h r e a d.
The word sure as in I'm sure of that is spelled s u r e.
And the poorly masacred festive Holiday is spelled C h r i s t m a s.
And so on and so on and so on and so on. Sorry if this sounds rude but it's just the way it is.

That was a pretty challenging job to even read that post and make any sense at all of it.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2017-12-20 16:17:56

@52 oomph. I have no words.

End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-22 16:10:59

I have to say that this is a great idea. This feature , which essentially allows you to navigate through your code by indentation is something I have been thinking of for some time now.

This is a feature that I feel is essential for any blind programmer that would like to develop  programs using a language like python or swift, where code blocks are not enclosed by curly brackets.

For languages like Java or C++ it is not as useful, since in an IDE like Eclipse, you can jump to pairing brackets and thus achieve essentially the same effect as navigating by indentation, since code blocks are enclosed in brackets in these languages.

But in languages like python this is not possible, due to the lack of these enclosing brackets. So having this feature would make it much easier for a blind programmer to navigate through their code.

I just wish instead of it being a standalone editor, it was instead made as a plug in for an open source IDE like eclipse, since other than missing this feature, PyDev is a great IDE for python programming for blind people because of Eclipse’s accessibility.

If there is anyone with the skills to do this, could they please take this feature of navigating through code by indentation and make it as a plugin for eclipse. It would be tremendously helpful, especially in combination with the PyDev plug in for eclipse.

Also about what Ethin was raving about. I think he completely missed the point of this editor. It seems from his previous posts that he just thought that this editor does code folding. But this navigating by indentation is not at all like code folding. Code folding is something entirely different.
To use code folding you have to write extra lines in your code like #region and #end region to denote parts of code to fold. Also the keyboard shortcutsto collapse and expand folded code tend to be complicated, often requiring three or more keys to pressed at once. This is because code is not meant to be unfolded a lot, since pretty much all programmers that use code folding, use it to hide away messy and/or disorganized code.

Navigating by indentation needs to be automatic. If the programmer needs to waste time to write #region someName … #end region
Then the hole purpose of having faster navigation is beaten.

It also needs to be simple and fast. No complicated shortcuts. Simply up/ down arrow navigates to the next/previous  line of code on same indentation level. Alt + right navigates to first line of nested code block. Alt + left arrow navigates to header of code block. That’s it.

And so because of this this is actually very different from code folding and is actually very useful. In fact I see it as nearly essential for a blind programmer to develop comfortably in a language like python if they are making a complex program.

2017-12-23 21:04:42

Hello all,
I am working on lots of projects, primary on Blindcraft, so I haven't much time to continue in Ride, especially when it fills my needings and Bc code is already processed to work with it.
Hovever I haven't forgotten it, and want to continue making it better. So, I gave it some time today, and have a small christmas gift for you.
Ride 1.2 supports autoreindenting!
Yeah, there is no longer need to indent non-indented code manually, just press ctrl+i in Ride's window, enter begin and end mark ({ and } for c++) and let it make indentation for you.
Marks can be also words, so algorithm is not tied to c++, but can be used for example to pascal, where begin and end words are used instead of { and } symbols.
I have tried it on few example codes and it seems to work, if you encounter any problems with it, let me know please.
Only note to add here is, that autoreindenting will not change your code, so notations like:
if (i==1) {alert("Hi", "this is a test of autoreindenting."); i++;}
will stay unchanged.

There are also 2 bug fixes in new version. First, thanks to Amit, is with errors produced by trying to delete content of block with one line from inside of it by select all function.
Second, system of backups was nicely improved, so it is more useful now and without errors.

Oh, and during development I found really annoying that Jaws is blocking delete key. Often happened that Ride did not detected it. So I updated Jaws scripts, also with few other shortcuts like copying or pasting to pass through, now it works without lags.

Happy coding, and merry christmas to all

Rastislav

2017-12-23 22:20:33

Good job! Keep up the great work. I'll send the promised material to you during the Holidays.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2017-12-24 05:50:35

Hi,
Good work as always! this new feature is absolutely  what was missing. I have tried indenting and it works without any errors till now. Keep it up!
Regards,
Amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2017-12-26 18:16:06

I have different coding needs because I am mainly writing in Choice script for now. How would this benifit me?

Journalist and gamer

2017-12-27 05:26:57

Hi,
what is that choice script?
Regards,
Amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2017-12-27 12:16:57

This page explains it all.

https://www.choiceofgames.com/make-your … ipt-intro/

I am also having trouble downloading the editor. Can you send me a link to a windows version?

Journalist and gamer

2017-12-27 13:35:08

Hey all. I tried this, and, while I think it may be useful to some, I find that Ed Sharp is better for me. If anyone else wishes to try Ed Sharp, the link is below.

https://github.com/EmpowermentZone/EdSharp

Journalist and gamer

2017-12-31 02:09:35

Ed Sharp does have the following hotkeys, which can serve as a reasonable substitute for code folding:

alt-I:  jump to next change in indentation.
control-b: jump to next block of code with the same or less indentation.
alt-b read remaining code in the current block of indentation.

I'm not trying to fight against the new code editor, but I just want people to know what Ed Sharp can do.

2017-12-31 06:39:07

I personally was and still am trying to fight against it, as I see no point... but hey, I've already stated my opinion on here so...

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-12-31 22:13:24 (edited by Rastislav Kish 2018-01-20 23:44:21)

Hi,
@Thork: if you believe me or not, exactly text games based on choices of user wrote by text commands leaded me into Ride's il based navigation.
About 27 years ago, there was computer developed specially for blind users called Eureka a4. It had a simple surface - text editor, notes editor, alarms manager, calendar and few other functions, including... programming interface!
Exactly for this, Eureka a4 becomed very popular in Czechoslovakia, after division Czech and Slovak republic. Eureka basic, as was this programming, or better sayd scripting language called, was very simple and straightforward, what made many people able to write programs and share them with others. It is possible, that this is well known history, I don't know history of this computer in other countries, but as I sayd, it was very popular. Czech and Slovak blind community organized programming courses to teach people Eureka basic, and they created then many textual games, enthusiastic they can use computer.
20 years after, in 2013, I was very interested with  this computer too. Marek Susčík, Czech programmer, developed a convertor for programs wrote with Eureka basic, using original recorded sounds which Eureka produced, so games converted by it to modern Windows systems were highly authentic. I studied also Eureka basic as a language, wrote few games in it and then tried to convert and play them.
If you don't know it, here is an short example I just wrote:

1 PRINT "You are sitting on the high pole, an city surrounds you."
2 PRINT "You can go North, East, South, West or Down."
3 INPUT " ";A$
4 IF A$="n" GOTO 3000
5 IF A$="e" GOTO 3000
6 IF A$="s" GOTO 3000
7 IF A$="w" GOTO 3000
8 IF A$="d" GOTO 20
9 PRINT "Unknown command."
10 GOTO 3
20 PRINT "You climbed down to the street."
21 PRINT "You can go north or salf."
3000 PRINT "You falled from the pole and broke your head."
3001 PRINT "You died!"
3002 END

One think interested me much. Sometimes I wasn't able to finish some text games. It was not always my mistake, I played for example a game, where author did have little chaos in world directions, for example there was a scene, where a big abyss was on your east, and stable ground on your west. But when you vent west, you falled to the abyss and when east, you returned to ground.
For this situations, I read source codes. And it was very simple in most cases. I not mean by it only that I was able to understand what will code do, but I was also able to very quickly search what I wanted, avoiding unvanted options. For example, if I wasn't able to find how to continue in game from one position, I found according part in source code. And then options which I already tried weren't interesting for me, I searched just for those I haven't tried yet, and which allowed me to continue.
For that, just referring to lines, instead of writing them directly under conditions speed up searching a lot.

Later, I tried to write some text games in Windows. I used many programming languages for this, but none from them was that effective like Eureka basic. The reason was simple: there was no longer possibility to refer lines, so there were just 2 methods, how to write text games. A. make codeblock for every possibility in every situation, b. create method for every possibility.
If I choosed method A, problem was, that code get messy quickly, because there were many possibilities in each scene, including combinations of factors, I have get lost in many block levels soon. Solution B was less messy, but for other hand inpractical to write and read, declaring of methods is not that simple like referring lines, you must use minimally 3 lines to get sensible result, and when you onetime navigate somewhere, navigation back is not very simple.
And here I started thinking: "Is there a way to simplify all these messy blocks?"

Result you already know, Ride was developed, and I found all its other advantages gradually, many other things have simplified and cleared for me.

So if you are asking: "Can Ride help me develop choice based text games?" My answer is yes.
If you are asking: "Will Ride help me developing games in Choice script?" My answer is I don't know.
I browsed link you posted, I saw examples of Choicescript in action, but I can't say if Ride will or will not help until I actually try it. In other languages I am sure about answer, because I am writing from my experience.
But anyway, actual decision what you will or will not use is on you. So try it, compare with other tools and select, what regards your needs. Link in post 1 should work, I just tried and it is okay.

Best regards and happy new year

Rastislav

2018-01-20 23:53:25 (edited by Rastislav Kish 2018-01-20 23:54:48)

Hi guys,
so, few important things changed here. Few new updates of Ride were released, current version is 1.3.2. In short, changes include adding possibility to beep on capital letters, possibility to clear whitespaces from the code, if it was previously indented by other application using them, or fixed bug with freezing during opening files with non-standard line endings, and few more fixes.
Lukáš Hosnedl also cleared my quickly wrote documentation, so it is far more readable now. If you had some unclearances with it before, please, read it again, it is possible you will understand things now. smile
yeah, and I updated Jaws script again, now including rules for making selections, which aren't buggy in current Ride version by the way.
This is possibly my last post here for some time, we are going to prepare more massive update, which I will again inform about.

Best regards and happy coding

Rastislav

2018-01-21 01:29:42

@Rastislav Kiss, just to verify, it only clears indentation, right? The way you wrote it it sounded like it clears *all* spaces from the code, which will make 99 percent of all languages unreadable and will cause nearly, if not all, compilation/interpretation sessions to fail.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2018-04-25 04:16:18

downloading ride to test.

2018-08-04 11:55:00

Hey guys, so not sure if you guys frequent the NVDA community addon page, but earlier this year a addon called Indent Nav was released and it allows you to navigate through text using similar key  strokes as this editor, basically allowing you to  navigate code as a tree structure, but since it is an addon for NVDA, it can be used for any application.

So, it may be a good alternative to this editor, since you can have the indent navigation, but you can use any editor or IDE you like. Interestingly can also be used to go through reddit comments hierarchicly.

Linking here:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ … av.en.html

2018-08-04 23:51:16

Hi.
Thanks for the add-on it's very interesting. They are always coming out with nice new stuff.
I would not use this ride thing, because there are better alternatives out there, and because I refuse to use a program from somebody who can't speak proper English, and refuses to learn how! To me it signals a type of person who can't or won't learn from there mistakes, which is really too bad for them.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-08-05 01:51:18

Speaking English means nothing if the program does what it is supposed to do. Not everybody in this world will speak English. Besides, he speaks it enough to communicate with us. He could have as well just released it in his native language and be done with it, but then we'd miss on potential great games and programs if developers started doing that so I am happy I did not hear such a thing before.

2018-08-05 03:55:43

Hi.
No I did not mean there was anything wrong with that. What I meant was, that sort of thing indicates an inability to change. I am not a racist, English is native, but I can speak Spanish and a little Japanese. I don't have anything against the guy personally, this is an English speaking forum, he should speak English if he's going to be on here. I know it's not just me, I've seen other people have trouble reading his posts too, they mention it in this topic spacifically.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2018-08-05 04:56:07

@71, another point is those who don't natively speak English or who speak it badly (and thereby write it badly as a consequence) make understanding manuals and usage information far more difficult.

My Github

2018-08-05 05:49:25

Yeah I have trouble reading his posts, but what's more, I won't be using something made in BGT already, jesus. Make it in something I can work with, save the files in a way that's interactable with other applications, which I know BGT can do, but I have no interest in a blindie specific app.

End racism
End division
Become united

2018-08-05 13:21:26 (edited by Dragonlee 2018-08-05 13:23:27)

@70 OP happens to be from the same country as me and doesnt speak english well, but as you probably know since you claim to speak multiple languages, the best way to improve your language skills is to use them even if you're arent perfect. That you would berate someone for not speaking your native language perfectly is ridiculous and very easy for you to do since you are native. Imagine  you went on a spanish or japanese forum and someone told you nothing you create has any value because you dont speak their language perfectly. I honestly cant believe you wrote that as from your other posts on this forum, i had respect for you and appreciated your input, but from that post i lost all the respect i had and frankly it was absolutely disgusting and callous and has no place on a site like this. Didnt expect something like that from you, maybe from Ethin when he is having a bad day.

@74 Fair enough, making an editor in BGT is a strange decision, but you claim not to be interested in blindy specific apps? First of all, blindy is a pejorative word used on blind people, so it is in poor taste, but hey you're blind too, so not going to be too harsh on you for that. But back to your point, you're fine to not be interested in that, but frankly you're missing out on some amazing technology. Be My Eyes is easily the best app I found on my iPhone since I've become blind and it is a "blindy" specific app, as you put it. Seeing AI is also quite good, as well as several others. So, if youre not interested in them thats fine, but i am guessing you dont live independently, because for independent living they are incredibly useful.