2017-12-07 23:13:56

Hi.

Well obviously anyone who's been around the forum will have heard about this game a little, but I thought as we'd not had a topic in new releases and it's a game i just tried, it'd  be a good chance  discuss the mud and describe some fairly unique things about it, indeed I know we have at least a couple of members who are familiar with the mud so if they want to chime in that would be great.

Firstly, as stated here on the db page The theme of the mud is definitely adult in nature. As with the single player rpg, it's set in a world where a nannite virus called promethius has gone wild and transformed people  into a hoard of sex crazed mutants, all trying to spread the infection as swiftly as possible.

As in the single player game therefore there are some fairly lurid descriptions of bizarre activities with npcs and monsters, sometimes during or after combat and the mutations you get, so anyone under age or who is made uncomfortable by that sort of thing probably should give this a miss.

On the other hand, the game is very unique, and there were rather fewer extreme messages etc than in the single player game (getting defeated in combat didn't seem quite as drastic for example), and so long as you can take matters with a pinch or two of salt then it should be okay, certainly I can say the community are very helpful and not the least bit dodgy.

Now onto the game itself.

firstly, the game is sort of unique in being partly a mud, partly a web based game. The web interface has a lot of information, but is fairly easy to navigate if your used to webpages, and all the buttons, text etc is fairly standard, though I would suggest you make sure your screen reader can cope  notification dialogues (I'm glad I have Nvda 17.4 for this).

the web interface is used to do various things, including training your character's various abilities, buying items (including the games' premium currency Mako if you wish), and getting bonuses, but can also be used for some gameplay aspects such as having automatic battles and missions and getting free gifts.

Some of these functions are available in the mud too, but not all of them, though anyone used  web navigation should be fine with the web interface.

The mud itself is pretty unique as muds go.
Firstly it is probably the only mud I've ever seen  actual turn based, round by round combat,  quite unique and interesting combat at that. You get powers to us based on what infections you havee, each of which has a cool down timer, and so have to  what you do each round almost like playing a ccg. What complicates this is that unless you  the right perk  can have a chance of being mutated in combat, and depending upon how you get mutated, your powers will change.
You need to spend xp to master powers you want to keep.
The combat is very strategical and I'm only just getting into it myself, especially with the amount of things you can customise about your character.

Outside of combat, there is lots of item crafting, (pretty much all items in game need to be built), and even jobs which you can do with your none combat skills which are gamebook style choice based missions.

There are quests, daily missions for rewards, and quite a lot more, indeeed the game is definitely one for people who like it complex.

I'd recommend when you create a character typing editplayer (note the lack of a space, this is one mud where you need to be careful with commands even down to punctuation), so that you can use the text map.

I would also recommend making sure you don't level up too fast, as there is a lot to spend xp on in the beginning and it can get tougher at higher levels if you don't have abilities and skills setup, in particular make sure you have powers mastered and a good loadout.

There are is also a major roleplaying element to this mud for those who are interested in such  including character generation and perks to enhance roleplay. Given the nature of the setting some of this rp can be erotic, but the game is very  on how to set your interests in such things, and people won't bug or stalk you or anything like that, it's there for those who want it but not for those who don't.

If all of this has got your interest you  can create an online account with This link and yes it's my referral link but hay), and when your ready to start the  portion of the game you can do that on flexiblesurvival.com port 2000.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-08 01:23:27

hi dark
i am a player there, and the game is really cool
but the link, can you edit it please? the link naming and the link itsellf is not a link that you can click on
i would recumend this game to who is not easily offended by sex/adult material and who are in the appropriat age. there are allot of references to unbirthing etc

don't wish to become like the oceans, the flowers, or the sun. oceans will dry out, flowers will die, and the sun will be extinguished. be yourself and nothing and no one else and hope for a better tomorrow.

2017-12-08 11:40:51

Actually, while the game's theme is very adult, what impresses me here  the game itself aside from the adult theme.
the adult stuff is more a matter of background, and if you don't want  rp you don't have to, indeed I'd say there is probably less erotica in the main game than the single player.

On the other hand, I've never seen an rpg with combat or crafting quite like this, or a game that combines an online browser mode where you can play  idle with a full scale mud.
So I'd highly recommend this to anyone looking for a good rpg who can take the theme with a pinch of salt.

I started playing flexible  survival single player as a direct challenge to my genophobia, to see if it was really gone and I could cope with something like this. it turns out not only that I could, but also that there are some really good games in there quite aside from the theme, which I'm glad I found.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-10 04:45:49

Okay to discuss combat as Arnold mentioned Here in the crafting muds topic I'll try and explain how Flexible survival's combat works, since on the one hand there is a lot of information, on the other hand not much is necessary.

First, you must! set your flag as screen reader and make sure verbose combat is off.

Now, the main thing to remember about combat in flexible survival is that it is essentially like a turn based card game, not like your usual  style combat where something happens every round and you need to attakc fast.
When you fight something, first round you get a turn and you'll have your enemies names displayed,  1 husky girl, 2 skunk beast.

You can look at them with look 1 and look 2 and target them, but nothing will happen until you use one of your powers.

After this the game will count 100 ticks in which the enemies will take turns using their powers until you all have done your thing and give a report on what has happened, who has done what damage etc.

This report contains at the start information about damage, then a line about resists, debuffs etc, then at the bottom it'll say "character name's turn" and list all your powers, including those with cool down timers.
After this, when it is your turn, everything stops until you decide what to do next, indeed you can use commands like help, chat to people, even check your inventory etc and keep the game sitting there, since nothing else will happen until your ready.

So what I do is treat combat as I would in  a browser and simply up and down arrow through the output window in Vip and read the bits I'm interested in, eg what damage has been done and how, then see what powers I can use and take my turn.

Alternatively, I can just use auto combat, and then i pretty much just ignore the game until combat is finished.

Now whether there would be a way to just shorten the game display to what damage has been done and leave the examination of powers and resists out I'm not sure, though that might be a suggestion to make, since as I said the community seem very friendly.

Btw,  my character is Peri on there if anyone wants to say hi.

2017-12-10 06:14:44

Thanks the information dark, and sorry for my wrong place of posting. Just considered that a quick question and didn't know that will be an explanation, i thought there is a command which shortens the thing. Let's try the game once more then, because for example, i didn't know that combat stays in place while you read all of the messages.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2017-12-10 06:59:47

When i asked on the newbie channel, someone did think there was a command to remove the status messages from combat, since you can always get them with the status command if you need them, but they wren't sure.
People tend to be very helpful so even if it's not included, suggesting it  be an issue and I don't think it'd be too hard to add.

2017-12-10 17:20:51

I am tempted to try out this game, but the premis is just creepy!
LOL, I have never thought of myself as prudish, modest for sure, but not pathologically so.
I like the sound of the jobs and crafting, and even the combat sounds interesting for the way it lets you pause and read.
Maybe I'll just keep an eye on this topic, and see how you all like the game before I try it out.
One thing that turned me away from it initially was that I thought there would be a lot of strange people trying to push you into graphic roleplay, but if that's not the case, it may be worth a look.

2017-12-10 20:34:22

Well on the one hand the premise is certainly a little odd and I won't pretend that some of the descriptive language and a few of the in game mechanics can be on the rough side, eg, you do get descriptions of your characters genitalia, and some of the actions such as losing in combat directly equate to rather overthetop intercourse, and you can actually milk your own character to get a debuff combat item.

On the other hand, if you can accept the premise there are a lot of  ways to limit the game's output, for example the perks graceful in defeat and self control mean that you won't ravish or be ravished by monsters after combat, and the perk cold fish means that you won't randomly start getting messages  about your characters' increasing libido.

I'd actually say on the hole the game is less adult than the single player version, though mostly that is because the single player version has far more combat.

In community terms, I have been quite impressed. There are a lot  automated controls in place to insure that you can make it clear what you are and aren't interested in, but even if you don't set these, nobody will try to get you involved in something you don't want to, that seems to be a major part of the game's etiquette.

when I started the mud I was careful to set my rp preference to none, since erotic rp is definitely not! something  want to do for a start it'd feel rather too disloyal to the wonderful lady i am married to, without whom I'd likely still be suffering far too major genophobia to go anywhere near a game like this, however when i did try a little in character chat and introduction just to test the waters, people were absolutely fine, just discussing character backgrounds and the world and such and nothing unsavoury.

While I am enjoying the game quite a lot, the quests, the activities,  the rather unique combat and the world,  it is certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

2017-12-10 23:24:05

Well, to put it in perspective, I've read plenty of Stephen King in my lifetime, plus a few vampire novels, so if I can read those, I can handle this game.
Thanks for the ideas about percs; that will help.

2017-12-11 03:35:10

I want to try the mud, too. But since I used the Mac, I don't have a free mud client for Mac. Any suggestions? A free one would be greatly appreciated.

2017-12-11 05:09:05

Well Mirage the descriptions are a bit whacky, indeed I find them so unrealistic I can't take them seriously.

I suggest if your uncertain, try having a look at the wiki and checking out some pages for npcs in the singleplayer and multiplayer game, that will give you an idea of the type of thing you will be seeing.

I will say though, people are really! nice in game, I was just given some exceptional help by two very nice players and some very awesome starting gear which gives me far more idea of what I'm doing with combat etc.

2018-02-11 10:35:29

Hello, I tried to play this game, but did not find a good mud client for windos. can someone tell me a good client with the screen reader support ?

2018-02-12 19:18:34

Vipmud or mushclient are your best bets.
Vipmud is from www.gmagames.com and will work out of the box (it works fine with flexible survival).
It is a commercial program,but you can go on useing the free version with little restriction accept for a two hour cutout and a nag message, indeed the one major drawback of the free version, no msp or mud sound protocol support will not be an issue in fs mud since there is no sound.

Mushclient I know less about.
It's a commercial client but people have written addons that make it screen reader accessible including mushreader.
Minaly people will have used it if they've played the rpg game alteraeonn.

If you want to find out more about mushclient, I suggest starting a topic in general game discussion, though personally vipmud is what I would recommend and  what I use myself.

Hth.

2018-02-17 17:56:26

What are some NPCs, besides monsters anyhow, in the multiplayer game?

I know there's one hirm Alex who will give you the SPit or Swallow badge right off when you encounter her. Or should i say hir.

2018-02-17 23:48:03

There are various npcs around in different areas, many of whom have quests to do or can sell you things or do functions.
One thing I really like is the "check" command which you can do of an object or npc to see what it does or what quest they have.

WhielWhile there aren't tonnes of quests like in something like Alteraeon or cyber assault, there are several, and many have some pretty  unique content with things to do, ---- oh and not all sexual things either, though there is of course some of that.

2018-03-25 07:30:04

So I created an account and, holy crap the perc list. I'm not sure what I want to take.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2018-03-25 19:59:06

You can take your time over looking at perks and buy them when you like.
Also note the buttons to sort by combat, by crafting rp type etc.

I'd suggest playing for a bit and deciding what you like and don't like and what you might and might not fancy doing, since some perks relate to making your character better at Skills or have more patrol points or what not, while others are  for changing what the game has, making your character unique or for rp.

For example Self control and cold bastard pretty much turn off all in battle sex descriptions and heat messages if you want, thus making the game much less x rated.

I personally took the modest organs perk because  I can't really take my character seriously if they've got a four foot long Jonson or more pairs of mellons than your average greengrocer.

I also took advanced innoculation so that my character's infections are sort of manageable and "Delayed victory" so that my combat display wouldn't be constantly troubled with x rated things, though they'd still show up occasionally, as well as all the perks related to faster energy and patrol point regain so I can keep playing, plus several battle and fertility perks.

Check the wiki, particularly the new player guide since it has some suggestions for good starter perks, plus ask around.

Flexible survival is a complex game, but you can always get help with things and the community are very nice.