2017-11-30 20:53:40

So I felt like sharing something that's funny, but only funny because I'm not still stuck in that moment.

I think we've all had this happen to us, where you find yourself listening in on someone's conversation, and you realize that they are very very stupid.  Perhaps they aren't stupid, but they are essentially blaring a loud siren showing the world how much of a hypocrite they are.  The very long work shift I just finished had examples of both of those things.

So the first one was 2 employees who are Known for how lazy they both are, chattering away instead of working.  This really isn't anything new for those guys, but for some reason I found myself listening to what they were saying instead of letting their chatter fade into the background like normal.  For around 15 to 20 minutes they stood there talking about how annoyed they are at the people who get to stand around talking instead of doing their work.  Neither man was joking, and they sat there describing themselves while each talking about some Other people, of whom I'm not sure.  It's funny how hearing the hypocrisy made my head physically hurt.

These same 2 people later started up a new conversation, where they were super excited about the new Star Wars movie that's coming out soon.  They took turns exclaiming to the other how much of a Star Wars fan they are, how they've watched the movies for their whole lives, and how they know everything about them.  As they began recounting parts of the films, they made many references to "Dark" vader.  They also butchered quotes that I would imagine even people who don't care much for the franchise could nail perfectly.  When I didn't think it could get any worse, one of the men began guessing what the last movie might be about.  He wondered if they would have "all the old characters in it".  Yup, let that sink in for a second.  He started naming names... Dark vader, the emperor, Obi wan, Darth maul, Qui gon jin, ect.  The other guy's face lit up and responded with the childish "Oh yeah!  That would be amazing!"  They weren't talking about force-ghost versions of these people either.

As I type this it really sounds like I'm talking about a couple of 9 year olds, when these men are both very late 30s or early 40s.  They chattered on about how awesome it would be for all of the characters to be in the last Star Wars movie, and at no time did either figure out that none of that would make any sense in any way whatsoever.  I guess Hollywood could pop out a movie with young Anikin Skywalker fighting alongside Rey, in some battle against the emperor and Count Duku... and these guys would never wonder how dead characters and characters separated by many years have all been mashed up together.  The headache continued until I forced myself to stop listening to them.  I didn't even want to know what they might talk about next.

I really did find myself asking, is this really happening?  Is this like a joke because they know I can hear them?  How did they get dressed this morning?  So many questions!

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-12-01 00:11:58

where the first conversation is concerned, I have noticed as I've grown older that it's much, much easier to spot someone's greatest flaw by asking them what they hate most about people; in the case of these two people you speak of it's glaringly obvious that they're both lazy procrastinators by the simple fact that they can so emphatically claim that they hate it when other people sit around and talk and do little else.  I've often heard it said that it takes a thief to catch a thief, a liar to catch a liar, etc.  I think it's true in just about every aspect of life; a bad habit is in essence, I believe, practiced most by its loudest detractors.
As far as the latter subject goes, perhaps this is one of those cases where ignorance really is bliss; maybe the one guy was looking to satisfy his chatting necessities and started in on a conversation he thought would work out nicely because it was the hype andwhatnot, only to find himself a little over his head.  Instead of either one of them backing down they just, continued the conversation figuring that the worst case senario was that one would call the other out on an inconsistency resulting in an interesting debate.  What can I say; some people really do prefer negative attention to no attention at all.  then there's the fact that people just, like hearing themselves talk.  it's easier to talk than it is to listen, because while the former takes a ton of physical effort, the latter requires something many people don't seem to have enough of and can't aford to spare, that something being attention.
Somewhat related, I hope, I don't know how often people actually ask the question "how are you doing" and expect/believe and or even want to hear a true answer.  sometimes because I guess I'm a sarcastic jerk, depending on who you ask, I wil reply, "Are you sure you want to know?"  Just saying fine though?  that really is beneath me unless, well, I really am fine.  :d
To be clear, it's not that I hate socializing; I honestly hate small talk.  I've had to do more and more of it over the years based on beliefs alone, but half the time I'm convinced humanity's greatest weakness is that it can't stop listening to itself.  when a conversation is honestly multidimencional and all parties involved are able to equally discuss whatever topic is on the table, I can sincerely be happy partaking in it.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-12-01 01:28:50

@Aprone, reminds me of the time I was sitting on   a coach of  a train which  happened to be the quiet coach, I.e the one where  if you want to use a mobile phone you  are supposed to go into  the carriage vestibule . Opposite me was a  woman talking loudly and vigorously on her mobile phone. When, a minute or two into the journey the announcement came across the tanoy asking all passengers in coach D to either refrain from using mobile phones or go into the vestibule, the woman responded  saying loudly into  her phone "Oh that's just an announcement   saying people shouldn't use  their  phones in this carriage or something" big_smile.

I'm afraid I don't  have any theory as to why this happens other than yes, some people really are! that stupid big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-01 02:37:05

Dark, that sounds about right for most people.  Continue chatting even when being told not to do so.

Nocturnus, I hadn't considered that each man may have just been bluffing their way into a conversation about Star Wars.  You really might be onto something there, and at the very least, it will help me cope with life if I can convince myself that it was such a scenario.  ROFL!

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-12-01 12:02:40 (edited by zakc93 2017-12-01 12:08:16)

Lol yes, I am all too familiar with that hypocrisy. People often criticise other people for something they have no issue with doing themselves. I have never been able to wrap my head around this, is it some cognitive dissonance where they really do not realise they are doing what they are criticising, or do they just not care? Also, about the starwars thing, I think nocturnus has a point. I've realised there are people who for some reason do not want to ever admit that they don't know something, so they will carry on a conversation like they know exactly what they're talking about even though it's very obvious that they don't. But they say it so self-assuredly that someone who isn't sure might question themselves and think they're wrong, which is probably why these people don't get called out too often. I also love it how some people just make up random numbers when talking about something, like they just have to add enough detail to sound convincing. For example, cheetahs can run at 500km/h. Also funny to see the reaction when you point out how ridiculous a statement like that is, they generally try to cover by changing the statement somewhat, maybe in some hope of getting it right, like no wait, it was actually 300km/h, and when you continue eventually it gets to something like they heard it somewhere but maybe they don't remember properly. Fortunately this is very rare, or maybe I'm just lucky, but I've met very few people like this.
Also, it reminded me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuKhW3sJsA
I guess noone outside South Africa will get the shower joke at the end, but the rest is still pretty funny.
Added: forgot to mention, I guess we have different approaches because I wouldn't have stopped listening, in fact I would have probably gotten out my phone and recorded them. I tend to find this more funny than depressing.

2017-12-02 04:50:44

@Aprone,
I didn't say it was fullproof, but I've heard stranger things where conversations are concerned; one girl tried to convince me that a song was originally by a band I absolutely knew without the shadow of a doubt was certainly not responsible for it.  Later, that same girl also tried to convince me that the eye of a hurricane and the center of a tornado were both entirely the same.  when I showed this girl via numerous webpages that she was wrong on both counts, she doggedly continued pursuing the matter entirely convinced that she was right and no amount of evidence would persuade her otherwise.
of course, I have an issue of my own when talking with people, which is that at times I can take things very, very literally.  the best, or worst, example, depending on who you ask and how you take it, goes like this:
Person asks me to place a drink or pack of drinks in the right side of the fridge.  My logic dictates that the right side of the fridge is not subjective to my facing the unit, thus the front of the unit is the part of the unit with the dor, meaning that when you face the unit, the right side of it is to your left.  I place drinks in whatI believe to be the right side of the fridge, the average humans' left; I'm still not entirely sure why, but I'm almost convinced it has something to do with self importance more than anything else.  chaos ensues, because the drinks are not where I was asked to place them, and a conversation will eventually end up taking place, in which I'll lose, because I'm part of a minority, but I'm stil entirely convinced that the right side of something is the right side of something regardless of where I am in relation to it, IE, your right side still being your right because it is, even if I'm facing you?  maybe?  that's where discussions actually get interesting...

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-12-02 16:16:55

@nocturnus, due to me havign a bit of a  spacial thing anyway,  while I was growing up my parents would always tend to say "On your right hand side" to me, since I could never do  rotational  exercises very well, one odd occasion where my lack of perception possibly lead to a more truthful understanding big_smile.

I have definitely encountered the occasion where someone is convinced on something which is randomly incorrect but certain nevertheless. My favourite I think was a man who supposedly was studdying councilling, who was convinced that Freud was the founder of "person centered therapy" because Freud always made the person the center of their work. When I asked if he'd ever heard of Rogers (the actual founder of person centered therapy), he told me rogers wasn't that important and it was all about Freud.

When I  pointed out that Freud had actually only ever  had 7 patients (none of whom were cured), he told me that was because medicine was so disrupted after the second world war (yes this guy who was supposedly studdying councilling thought Freud lived in the 1950's).

I pretty much just gave up after that, though I feel sorry for the councilling profession big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-12-02 18:54:06

It's funny that relative positioning were brought up since last night during work 2 co workers got into an actual yelling match over just that thing.  The woman sorting packages is facing 2 walls of "bins" set side by side.  Each wall is a grid of 24 chutes that come out on the other side where a worker opens each "bin" and groups all packages inside into a single nylon bag.  Sounds easy but the bags end up weighing 70 pounds and this process is repeated many hundreds of times.  So anyway, the guy yells that he needs her to push down packages that were wedged into one of the bins.  He says it's number 12 on Her right.  She quickly figures out that he meant His right and light heart-idly says that as she breaks the jam.  Argument ensues.  He's flat out offended that she can't understand something as simple as right from left.  As they go back and forth they're each trying to explain the basic concept of reversing direction to the other, and people start jumping in to take sides.

I rolled my eyes generally ignored it, until I heard my name coming from the roar of angry people.  The original woman had turned and was calling to me to "Tell Randy that this is my left please".  I suppose I should be flattered that my co workers usually regard my word as the final say on matters of logic and reasoning (I personally think it is because I don't get drawn into things until I've thought it completely through and can then state the truth in a very calm matter-of-fact way), so I took a look and said she was right.  People stopped arguing and after a silent pause, the man's voice on the other side of the walls yells back "Yep, you're right, I was looking at it wrong".

Crisis averted right?  Well then the 2 groups went back and forth for a while longer.  My side of the wall kept feeling the need to comfort the man with understanding phrases about how it's a simple mix up, they've done it before, and how they can understand how where he was standing probably caused his confusion.  His side of the wall kept saying things to down-play the mistake, offer up excuses trying to blame the mistake on the layout of the walls in relationship to other objects, and other nonsense.  Basically people lacked the ability to just stop talking and move on.  I really really hate 99% of what people say while I'm at work.  If people would all work in complete silence I would be SO happy!

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2017-12-03 01:39:08

I think we might be on to something here. I too, oddly enough, have been involved over some arguments and disputes over relative positioning recently. More interestingly enough, I'm always the one who ends up on the receiving end of someone's frustrations when, just like Nocturnus mentioned, I take things too literally. I wonder why this seems to be such a common thing? Anyway, I think Aprone summed up one of the main problems very well. People lack the ability to just stop talking and move on. Even though he was talking specifically about the situation with his co workers, I certainly think that this applies to many different people. It seems as though people have a hard time letting go of disputes or arguments and have to draw them out. No one wants to throw in the towel. It's very unfortunate. (especially when they ask for your input in an effort to settle things)

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2017-12-03 04:36:26

where the literal thing is concerned, things get even more out of hand for me when the person I'm talking to starts exagerating.  there are things that are just, exageration, and then there's a line of blowing things out of proportion I tend to refer to as overexageration, which is a line of lying so blatant you know it just, can't be true.
an example of this is for someone to say that you have such a mess in your house and they start naming things they se wrong in a list and end up saying something along the lines of, how you have 50 million wires scattered about that you obviously don't use.  My brain automatically goes, "whaaaat?" How do I have 50 million of anything if I don't have the room to store it in let alone keep it to myself?  For that matter, how do I have 50million of anything if I can't buy it?  that's when I feel like a person is just trying to add weight to a conversation they already feel has turned into an argument and they're losing.  Because I don't like conflict and would rather avoid it, I usually try to say nothing and end up making people on the other side feel ignored.  there's no way, however, that I can peacefully continue arguing with someone I know is exagerating to the point of nonsensical insanity.

2017-12-05 13:30:59

Wow that is absolutely hilarious. You know, I have done quite a bit of spying when I was at a group where there were totally blind people there. Unless I had a scent or if they heard my breathing or footsteps, there'd be no way for them to know I was there. I was able to evesdrop on some various childish and petty conversations.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-12-05 19:41:48

As we are listening to the currency of ignorance, I suggest there are 2 sides to the coin.  The one being the spouting of nonsense in the face of evidence to the contrary, empty heads to carry the analogy, the reverse side is displayed as nothing to contribute but negativity and criticism.  It is an empty tail wagging, in an attempt to bring someone with knowledge down to their level.

Try my free games and software at www.rockywaters.co.uk

2017-12-05 23:45:47

people are... well its just depressing.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-15 20:23:45

I think people are also scared of being wrong. Humans love to be right and it gives them immense pleasure when they find out they were indeed right. Maybe a certain sense of superiority. Thusly, some people can't let go easily and will hold on to what duct tapes their world or view together in a coherent manner, at least for them. Because we also don't like it when something we believed to have known for years suddenly turns out to be wrong.
I tend not to have too many issues with that personally, I know I'm wrong on many levels and I might even just be rambling on and adding nothing to this conversation, but a lot of people need to learn to appreciate learning itself and not defend their point with claws and teeth unless they can back up their reasoning. That said, I think one of my problems is being quite heated during arguments so I just try to avoid them at all costs. sad

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2017-12-15 22:20:09

I think you have a point there Ghorthalon. some of the good things I got out of  advanced study of philosophy are 1, the ability to disagree amicably, and 2, the ability  to actually regard being wrong as a potentially good thing, since it's nice to learn something.

That being said, i will confess my ability to tolerate people who hold beliefs for unexamined reasons, especially when such beliefs lead to directly unethical  consequences is less than stellar. Differences in beliefs I can stand, and being wrong I can stand even more, however a person who backs up an immoral  position on the basis that it is "natural" or "inspired by god" or "intended by evolution" or whatever other excuse is used to prop up their own sense of superiority,  I do not tolerate very well :d.

2017-12-17 21:39:09

Hi guys, this really cracks me up and I can really relate to you Aprone working in a warehouse type environment as I do it 40 hours a week.
I'm sure this isn't warehouse workers alone, but they seem to be the most vociferous, the most talkative people with the least amount to say of any real value. And that's putting it politely! So I've found the best way to combat this is to put my noise cancelling headphones on and do my best to tune most everyone out that's not in direct contact with me. It can be alienating, but that's ok to. I've tried the other way and its not healthy for me to deal with these people.
smile