2017-11-27 07:48:59

I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we could detail our dream Muds. For those of us who don't know how to code or build, this may be as far as we get, but you never know how an idea might take off.
I'm working on my idea, and will post later.

Here are some questions to start with, as you think of the Mud you would want to build.

1. What races would you allow?
2. What professions or classes? Or would it be a Mud where everyone could gain whatever skills they wanted without classing?
3. What theme would you like? Fantasy, historical, space, or something all your own?
4. Would you have combat, and if so, how would you make it unique?
5. Would you have crafting? If so, what crafts?
6. Would you let players build their own homes? Areas? Planes of existence?
7. If your Mud wasn't combat oriented, how would you let characters level? What goals would you set up for them to strive for?

This is a creative group.
I can't wait to read what you all think!

2017-11-27 07:56:47

mmm this is something I've been dreaming about over a bottle of the latest spirit poison a lot. Currently my ideas are of a first person shooter pvp game but yeah. I'll undertake the task of describing my mud later.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube
Leave a thumbs up if you like what I write.

2017-11-27 09:07:38

Like real life, but text. Except, you know, with the crappy parts of real life reduced and the better parts enhenhanced. What the crappy parts and better parts are would be the main reason it won't ever happen, I'm sure.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-11-27 09:28:24

CAE, hellmoo and it's branches already exist big_smile

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2017-11-27 12:38:47

I've wondered this for a wile now, what the hell even is hell moo? Is it wurth checking it out?
Not really sure what my dream mud would be, probably some kind of star wars thing where you could choose to start out as a jedi or sith or smuggler or something. I haven't been that impressed with the star wars muds we currently have, I found they were mostly just strange space muds with a sort of star wars feel to them, though to be fare I haven't really played legends of the jedi too much, only star wars mud witch was weird.
I would also like some kind of real world mud where you start as a person and idk, maybe at the beginning you choose a job like IT guy or police officer that gives you a way to make money and gives you skills to use in the game to improve upon. I'm not sure if a game like this would have leveling, but i'm also not sure what other ways you would advance without leveling.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-11-27 13:02:15

With my Mud, I'm thinking of leveling through good deeds or smart actions for experience points.
Instead of kills, you might learn Personal Finance, or rescue dogs from a puppy mill. Then with that Personal Finance knowledge, you might get a job at a bank. With the puppy rescuing, you might graduate to owning your own kennel.
But I'm still mulling over whether I'd want it to be modern-day, or if I'd want it to have fantastic elements.

It's all just swirling around in my mind so far.

2017-11-27 13:06:22

I suppose I should be more specific. Like real life, only better, if you lean toward the Neutral Good square in the DnD alignment tic-tac-toe board. Hell Moo is Chaotic Neutral at best. Which is not to say you couldn't play whatever alignment you want, but that the game itself is not structured in favor of the Chaotic Evil corner. I mean, it's name is literally "Hell". ... I'd ask if there's a Heaven Moo, but I get the feeling it'd be the 70 houra type of heaven.
I'm also surprisingly disinterested in crafting, somewhy.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-11-27 13:20:23

Lol myhellmoo reference was a joke.
And actually Cae_Jones, the latest hellmoo branch is called heavenmoo big_smile

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2017-11-27 15:53:07

Okay be prepared for the tangent here because this is one I've thought about for quite some time big_smile.

1. What races would you allow?
I tend to prefer human characters at start up, if there were other races they'd need to be carefully researched etc in terms of abilities and gains and different playing styles (think lament), but human baseline is often easier, especially at character startup, particularly because I am not a fan of muds where your limited by profession or race selection on what skills you can learn or what activities you could do.

2. What professions or classes? Or would it be a Mud where everyone could gain whatever skills they wanted without classing?

I always prefer the clok style system of gaining skills through use. That way if your board of combat you can go and try something else and aren't tied to one specific activity, or weapon or set of skills.

3. What theme would you like? Fantasy, historical, space, or something all your own?

I've always been intreagued by those worlds that mix sf and fantasy together, like anne Mccafry's Dragon riders or Robert Silverberg's majipoor. So I think I would probably set the mud on a newly colonised planet, one that still has a lot of wilderness and need for basic skills, perhaps even with some sort of native medeival society, but one where there  occasional spaceships, robots etc to give a change of perspective and atmosphere.
Oh and yes, I really! enjoyed Wayfar1444.

4. Would you have combat, and if so, how would you make it unique?

Yes, i would have combat, but only for specific reasons or in specific areas, eg, a hunter would need to hunt and kill their prey, and someone involved in fighting hostile aliens or creatures would need the skills for that, however players would not gain xp specifically for each kill, though they may gain xp through use of combat skills.

5. Would you have crafting? If so, what crafts?

Yes, crafting would exist as part of the new colony ethos, however since the game has the potential for futuristic technology, what sort of crafts happened would change as players progressed through the game, eg, at the start a player would need to make their own clothes by weaving their own cloth from wool, or flax or tanning their own hydes, however later on players could start farming plants for the components to make synthetics.

6. Would you let players build their own homes? Areas? Planes of existence?

The idea behind the game would be establishing a new colony, getting on and trading with the natives, and getting more citizens, so there would be a lot of building going on, perhaps even with managing npc colonists.

7. If your Mud wasn't combat oriented, how would you let characters level? What goals would you set up for them to strive for?

The object of the game would be first to go through the wilderness and survive, then to setup a colony, then to managie your colonists.
As part of this you could have various tasks and goals to accomplish, from trading with natives to fighting off space pilots or building a spaceship to get supplies from other worlds.

The key difference is that there would be quests and npcs to interact with along the way, and development would happen slowly. So instead of  typing "farm field" and expecting to get stuff immediately, you might have to wait for your crops to ripen and to be able to harvest, one reason why you would have npc colonists to automate some tasks for you, though of course you'd have to make  they were also fed, clothed, housed  entertained and generally take care of them.

The game would alternate between you managing your colony, and going out into the planet either on npc generated quests, given by either the colonial authorities or by local natives, or even quests generated by your eg someone might become seriously ill and you'd need to first ask a native healer where to find the necessary plants to cure them, then go and find said plants, and maybe even have to fight off bandits or beasts along the way.

The game would balance doing these quests and tasks and crafting and managing your colony, indeed  those players who prefer not to do combat, you could even potentially have npcs to send on quests or to perform tasks for you, for example if you heard rumours about a gang of marauding space pirates who were exploiting the natives, you could either go yourself or craft the weapons and items to outfit a fighting force of npcs from your colony to deal with them.

Oh, and there  would be absolutely no, zippo nada pvp whatsoever, since the focus of the game would be on expantion, indeed I would suggest that your colony and the land it takes up is effectively not part of the main  wilderness map, so only you, or any selected friends could enter it, rather like dwellings in other games, though manifestly there would be a lot of stuff going on there such as farming, building factories, outfitting npcs etc.

I don't suppose anyone will ever make a game like this, but I thought it was a fun idea big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-11-28 09:19:31

Okay so mine, is a bit unconventional. As far as I've seen, it doesn't exist, hence it's unconventional.
I've always held this belief, not saying I'm right, just a belief, that so many muds focus too much on hack and slash and combat.
So for one, I would allow humans, and... races would be like we're all humans, but everyone could come from a different part of the world. So there would be races, it just wouldn't be fantasy like most muds have it.
I wouldn't want pk, or pvp, or any of those things.
Combat, is possible, like you could have a duel with your friend to improve your combat, but I would make it heavily rp based. So like you couldn't just spam attack. You'd have to like say where youw ant to hit, then type in an emote to make that combat more in depth.
Also, I'd reward role playing, so like you could gain experience points that you could later use to raise your skills, so players can't grind too much.
that being said, I want lots of crafting, lots of skills, but those skills can only be raised by points, which you gain from role playing. there wouldn't be a experience point cap, because I don't want players like reaching that gap, and stop role playing.
there would be limited socials, to further encourage players to emote and really get in to that character development and really role play it out.
I really love cooking in any mud. I love making clothes, jewelry, farming, so I'd focus a lot on those things. But I'd also want people to have professions. Doctor, merchant, baker, anything. So like you could, in theory, if you wanted, go out in to the wilderness, or the dangerous areas, and do hack and slash. If you're a city guard for example, you could. But I'd make it turn based combat, so you'd still get to emote, still get your experience, and raise your combat at the same time.
That being said, I really wouldn't want to force combat, on a player. So many muds do that. Where it's like necessarily to have some combat, to take part in it in some way, and I'm not a fan.
My setting, would be in a small town.
So many of these muds have things taking place in like huge cities, the capitol of a country, but the player base can't quite immerse in to that, because usually, even if you had say, a hundred players, you'd still know a good deal of people. So it'd still feel like a small town, even if setting wise, it's a huge city.
So my thought is, why not just make it a small town. Where everyone would know each other, and that would be absolutely normal. so you could say so and so pushed me, or knocked me down, someone else could come in and say, "Oh I know that person" and that'd be totally normal.
Also, I want it so that you don't like know a person initially when you meet them. so you could see their description, or their like short desc, like a tall graceful woman with long blonde hair. Then when you actually role play it out, and introduce each other, you can remember them.
That way, you will have actually met, and you can keep track, who you met, and who you didn't.
I wouldn't really mind some magic, to have it sort of fantasy, but I don't want it in the traditional way of it being fireballs, and combat.
I want more like... domestic magic I guess? So you could use magic to say... wash your dishes after cooking, or to summon something from your home, or to teleport you around.
For those of you who have read Harry Potter, I'mt hinking about all those magical things that Mrs. Weasley does like in her home, it's like domestic magic. Conjurring things, that sort of things.
anyways, I've rambled on for so long, I'm all done.
Sorry guys, done. Bye!!!

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches with in the soul, that sings the tune without the words and never stops at all."
Emily Dickenson

2017-11-28 09:34:21

I love all these ideas.
I knew there would be several of you who put a great deal of thought into it.
Dark, I really hope your Mud is created someday!

2017-11-28 14:08:37

Hi.
I due have some ideas for muds, or maybe they exist in parts already, I haven't really checked on these.
One of my favorites would be a mud placed in a dystopian world, a world ruled by big organisations for example and with the player beeing a normal citicen in a high tech city with top nodge survailance systems, automated police drones, hover trains and all this good stuff and you would need to make a name for your self in the underworld of this city, or try doing shady business, all while staying under the rador off the cops. You could possibly go about this beeing a gun wielding bad ass with a quick trigger finger, have a heavy foot and get your money in street racing, or be a hacker and use the citys computer AI for your own good.
another one would be a more martial arts style mud, maybe with some fantasy elements, with quests and the like, but a class that I would like to see is something like a kung fu master with different punches, kicks and grapples at your disposal, or a ninja type class with an emfersise on stealth and hidden attack techniques, for example swoop in, kill your enemy and be gone again.
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2017-11-28 14:35:12

Glad people like the idea. I  love the idea of taking care of a colony, starting from nothing  and seeing it expand as you craft items and build buildings and farm the land, but also be able to explore and go on quests when needed. Generally the problem I've found in many games is those with detailed crafting don't have the quests and exploring, and those with the quests and exploring don't have the crafting, so it'd be nice to get a game with both.
You might even be able to create something like this by modifying the empire mud source code given that empire already has a lot of the things a game like the one I'm thinking of would need, eg building, crafting, npcs, empire management, adventures etc, it's just the setting. skill limitations and focus on pvp that is different, indeed I need to get back to empire mud and give it another go since it needs a db page.

@Silvermoon, I don't know if there is exactly the sort of thing you are talking about, but there are a lot of rp intensive mushes out there, indeed the way you describe combat reminded me strongly of how it is  described in inquisition legacy.

@Simber, I don't know about a martial arts mud, but if your looking for an rp intensive cyber distopia mud with an rp focus there are some kicking around such as syndome website here  a few others (I recall there was a topic about one in new releases a while back).

I admit, heavy rp interactions without much based on systems or quests are less my thing, since generally  when I am gaming I'm more a solo exploring type of chap, if I want to rp with others I prefer tabeltop, but for those who wish there is that sort of thing out there.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-11-28 16:01:21

Yeah Dark, I don't mind running rp-events every now and again but for me it's just learning about the game and exploring and discovering. It's why I was stuck in Alter for so long.
I really want to find a dnd group and play with since I'm really into that sorta thing with acting --- it was my passion when I was about 16 17.

Follow me on twitch
And
Subscribe to my youtube

2017-11-28 16:19:51

I'm, dreaming of, do you know what i'm dreaming of? wayfar, get back online please! i was so foolish when i decided it was crap, so foolish, so foolish! not eeven enjoyed it. Oh damn. I know my dream will never be true, but i'm dreaming of wayfar1444 coming back!

2017-11-28 16:36:45

@Lord Lundin I know the feeling, my lady just tried rp for the first time last year and loved it, her being an actress herself.
Sadly the group I played mutants and masterminds for 7 years with finished  15 due to the gm and his wife (who was one of the players), having a baby, so we've only done one offs since thenb, still as we're now in a new town we do want to look around for someone running something as it's a fantastic experience, and not equaled by anything online, hence why online I tend to just like to be solo and interact with the game itself.

@Skylord, thumbs up there, me too. Wayfar1444 was awesome! I really wish we could contact the gm and let him know how much the game is missed, especially because he implemented the one access feature the game needed and put in a biome search just before the game shut down.

2017-11-28 16:46:17 (edited by SkyLord 2017-11-28 16:52:07)

@dark, We could contact him. I could try. I just don't know will it work or not. But if it will be a success, then... then... woot woot! I'll try. Right now. /edit: i did, it, i contacted him, hope he will see this. Let's hope for the best, and wait!

2017-11-28 17:00:21

I'd like to see a mafia type mud, like iMobsters or that style, but more in depth. you'd have to acryally get people to join your gang, and go out and commit crimes, like that torn city game, kind of.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2017-11-28 18:47:11

@Skylord, contacting him politely certainly couldn't hurt, though if the wayfar1444 domain is no longer registered, I am not sure  his email address is also down, since I believe it was just admin at wayfar1444.com

2017-11-29 09:04:03

I would love a game that had all the crafting elements of wayfar but a procedurally generated universe. I love space based exploration and colonising. so to be able to start with 2 bits of rock and then work your way up into space and into the universe for me would be fantastic.
1 thing all these space muds are seriously lacking in is the space exploration element. wayfar was the best in terms of crafting but it's universe was just too small and well boxy. combat I'm ok with, that's fine by me. but I would also love to see a proper economy. for example, if you transfer gasses debris minerals to a planet let it be because said planet needs them. if it doesn't have said resources then let the affects be obvious. this is something else the space muds I've played never got right.

2017-11-29 09:40:27

Wayfar1444 actually had! a procedurally generated universe, it's just that the developers never quite got the code up and running that would create new planets for you to colonize, if you look through the old blog posts about the game you'll find plans for how it was going to be expanded.
It's actually really odd it completely shut down, and I can only assume the admin had some major crysis or something.

2017-11-29 12:18:29

yeah it's sad because that was truly a unique game.

2017-11-29 18:08:06

I'd come up with something on top of my mind, probably everything from one or all of my novels mixed together. A world of 4 tribes where magic was at will, but power was also hungered. I'd build something around this with quite a lot of character mechanics and some kind of companion system known as Zenno (originally genetically enhanced animals who could think and telepathically communicate like mankind). My races would probably be like Clok, but used my own 4 races instead (nature tuned Hogz, magic oriented Armaza, wealthy and shiny Randen, and genetically moddified Rando, the mix of all races), with bodies all the same but under different lore and backgrounds. I'd also make it rp, and see everyone's light of dream shine when they play. Skills and spells would be theirs to discover, and what makes sense through practice could be done right away after you learn the basics. Players would be able to build homes anywhere, one per char, and able to ccook, carve, craft and even research and construct magical artifacts such as linked teleporters to direct you from one place to another. Combat wouldn't be necessary, but would be there for those who seek. Of course mastering special techniques and skills wouldn't be easy. Players also had limited skills and spells slots, and were required to choose wisely.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-12-02 06:14:46

I guess mine would be like second life, only in text form.

In second life you get to build your own world, so I guess mine would be if second life could be turned into text, that would be it.

Want to build something? write an entry in text and there you have it.

I guess you  would also have to write the mechanics for your little corner of the world, universe, whatever it is they call it in second life.

2017-12-02 10:58:17

The previous two posts are amazing!
I would love both of those Muds!