2017-07-25 12:58:37

Okay, I recall we once had a topic like this a while ago but goodness knows where it is, and since we have goodness  how many members now it might be fun to have another one.

So where in the world are people from? Feel free to give as much info as you want, though at least knowing the country might be nice.

I will go first.

I put my location as "the ivory tower" reflecting my generally academic status, and the fact that I love the one in never ending story. However I am actually living with Mrs. Dark in my flat in Durham in the north of England, this is a small, old  city with a 12th century cathedral, many stwisting cobbled streets and old  buildings on the river Tine where it is continually damp, rainy and rather cold, (well we are close to the Scottish boarder). The most famous thing of course is Durham university,which has buildings all round the city including the philosophy department which is where I tend to go.

The center is unfortunately  rather built up and fairly busy, though it isn't a huge  place like London or Bermingham since I do not like big cities.

Shortly of course (as in in probably a month or so), Mrs. Dark and I are moving to Newark. This is a small market town in Nottinghamshire about 45 minutes from the city of Nottingham where my parents live (and where I certainly would not! consider living).
the place where we will be living is opposite Newark castle which will be cool, just close to the river, but also within walking distance of shops and the train station.

so how about everyone else?

Btw, no need to describe your town if you don't want to, and of course do not mention your address, it's just  with some topics recently about different countries I thought it might be nice to get a brief idea of where people are especially because audiogames.net is a nicely multicultural forum, also I admit I do get a bit bemused when people say things like "I live in the west" and my first thought is "the west of where?" Since manifestly everybody does not live in the same country big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-07-25 15:04:21

I'm from the North West of England, in a town about half way between Liverpool and Warrington. According to its wiki entry, it's home to the second narrowest street in Britain at just 26 inches. That always gives me a grin and makes me think of the brilliant Weird Al song: Lame Claim to Fame. It rains a lot, could do with a large injection of financial investment, which unbelievably it might be getting thanks to a crackpot scheme, and is your typical grim-up-North kind of place.

2017-07-25 15:29:08

I'm from Ulaanbaatar Mongolia. As you may be wondering, yes here we have internet, computer, electricity and such. Some people think that we still live in thirteenth century, herding livestock and brandishing our swords. snort. But anyway, Ulaanbaatar is definitely becoming one of the nicer cities in Asia, if not for the whole world. As to describe about it, we have around 1.5 million people live in the capital Ulaanbaatar, it is ironic that i know, about the half of Mongolia's population live in single city. Lol Mongolia is located in central Asia, neighboring with north to Russia and to the south with China. We have 1.5 million kilometer square land and no sea or any other seaport. It's landlocked or some such if I remember the term correctly. The official language is Mongolian, and we use Cyrillic alphabet courtesy of Soviet union. We have our own Traditional script too, but less popular in use. I live in a flat with my grandma, on the northern bank of the river called Dund Gol. Everything here is at walking distance, bus-stop, stores, supermarkets and restaurants. Literally it is just an average living ground  in modern society. As to talk more about Mongolia, yes, there are still many people in Mongolia in the rural parts who live as nomads, herding livestock and moving one place to the other by following more suitable place for livestock to grow. We have farms, and people grow rice, vegetables and fruits here, besides being herdsman. And about  the weather, it is really highly continental dominied climate we have here in Mongolia, warm summer and long cold winters. We have Gobi desert in southern side of Mongolia, which is the fifth biggest desert in the world If my memory serves me right. Anyway, enough of this rambling and if you have any questions, just ask is all. smile

Often we have no time for our friends, but all the time in the world for our enemies.

2017-07-25 16:11:19

Dark wrote:

...and of course do not mention your address

Dark, depending on the descriptions given, an address isn't even needed right?  ROFL!  (Just remembering the last topic like this from years ago)

I live in a city called Redford, in Michigan (USA).  A very busy 9 lane road, with no pedestrian crosswalk, separates us from being in Detroit.  Just like a river can serve as a boundary in nature, keeping predators and prey in close proximity without them actually interacting, this road keeps us extremely close to the conditions of Detroit while we remain relatively safe.  By safe I am referring to crime rates and streets that look like we're post war under foreign occupation.  It sounds a little over dramatic, but on my side is a pretty nice neighborhood and on the other 1 in 5 houses has rotted enough to cave in in places or fall over, there are mounds of trash in the yards, and if you walked there even in the day you run a real risk of being mugged at gun point.

My neighborhood is not bad at all.  I have no reservations walking around even at night.  People on the Detroit side rarely risk death trying to cross that road, and if they're willing to drive out looking to cause trouble, they travel further than the other side of a single street.  We're in a nice position, in a crazy sort of way.

With Detroit to the east, everything we do is either directly west.  While not really the sort of distance I'd want to walk, 3 or 4 miles west of us has 2 nice shopping centers with all the stores we ever need.  There's a little bit of everything, and the 2 shopping centers are almost competing with each other by bringing in nicer and nicer things over the past few years.

The hub where my wife and I work is right next to one of those shopping centers, so we don't have to drive far each day.  It saves a ton on gas and time, because we rarely spend more than 7 or 8 minutes driving to get to work or to go shopping.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2017-07-25 17:04:39 (edited by afrim 2017-07-25 20:03:42)

Well, I am from Albania, a small country geographically situated in southeast of Balkan peninsula. I live in the north of Albania, in a neither small nor big city, called by its natives Shkodër, in Latin it's called Skadar, and Italians used to call it Scutari. It is, in fact, my birthplace. If you begin to study Albanian culture, history, literature, or any other field, it is impossible to not meet the name of my city, which is also my favourite city in Albania, and in the world. It is by far the most cultural city in Albania, with an immense contribution to history, customs, traditions, humour, sport, literature, music, theology, ethnography, and education. Due to its contribution in the afore mentioned fields, it has been often suggested the status of capital of Albania, but since my city has never been in line with my government, the officials have refused to choose this city as the capital of our country. Instead, they chose an agricultural city, but that was also for some historic reasons which still do not justify their actions. I really like this city, its people, its culture, its music, and particularly its subtle humour that its citizens make!

2017-07-25 19:29:24

I live in a small town in Indiana called Milford. We are 20 minutes away from Warsaw, and 30 minutes from south bend witch is home to noterdame univirsity. We have only 1 stop light and a stop sign. We have a subway and that is about it for chain restaurants. That is why I have to move because there is nothing to do in Milford. We also are known as the lake city because of the many lakes we have. We are also known for lake Wawasee witch is the biggest lake in Indiana. I love it hear in Indiana and PA and I would never move unless it was to PA. I also live on a farm property. We don't have animals but we still have the barn. We also have a lot of Amish. The RV sector is big hear in Indiana and Warsaw is also known as the orthopedic capital of the world.

Bitcoin Address:
1MeNca7h6m8du4TV3psN4m4X666p6Y36u5m

2017-07-25 21:59:16

I live in England, down in the southeast on a small Island called the Isle of Wight.
It can be interesting because as it's an Island, you have to get to the mainland by boat and the boat has quite a lot of movements when on board.
I find the Island to be a peaceful place, although lately some of the more fun stuff like some of the arcades are closing. There was one with so many retro games in, and we were going to take a visiting friend there and then we found out it was closed. It had stuff like an old outrun machine, a metal slug cabinet, even a final fight and space invaders machine! But that's gone now, it seems.
I think we have maybe four or five arcades remaining. The best is Sandown Pier which seems to get updated stuff every year.
The others are just ok, but with a lot of those ticket machines.
Also where I live, everyone looks out for each other and is friendly. The Island also has two cinemas, the best being cineworld because it's got audio description.
There are also quite a few country walks, we have some roman villars, Osborne House which used to be Queen Victoria's home, Carosbrook Castle although I don't know much about that place at the moment.
The Island is also very famous for it's jurassic coast, as there are tons of fossils and dinosaurs did used to walk here. We have our own dinosaur museum, and for a while there was an augmented reality app with metiorites that you could point at, and dinosaurs would walk and sometimes fly by you and make sounds, and you could get a photo. The best one was my DAd getting me in such a position that it looked like the dinosaur was standing on my head!
So, that's the Isle of Wight for you. A peaceful place, with a lot of walks, we also have towns and shops, and a jurasssic coast and some famous landmarks.

2017-07-26 04:27:42

It says from space below my username because I love the idea of space, its vastness, and utter beauty. OK, how can a mostly empty void be beautiful, well I believe that the universe is made up of energy, all the stars and all the planets and moons are energy that everything comes from, and eventually, in some form or another returns to. I would jump at the chance to go into space, but I don't think I will have that opportunity because I couldn't afford it, even if they started up space tourism. I don't believe in an intelligent god, some supreme being that rules over us, we're part of that beings dominion. I reject religion because of its tendency to not only breed ignorance and close-mindedness, but also extremism, and ultimately violence.

Instead, I believe the higher power is the entirety of the substance of our universe or multiverse. I feel such a longing to be there, to float in space and be part of that energy that makes up who and what we all are. Not only that, but it interests me from a scientific perspective as well. Some days I feel like I'm being called, and I want to go so badly that I feel bound to this place, and I have to wait. I do love living, and hope I live a long life, but at the other end, in some aspects, I can't wait to die because I'll be in that place, part of it again in a noncorporial form, but I'll understand things I could never hope to in this life. I believe there are civilizations out there, not only that, but I believe we'll meet our lost loved ones and our ancestors out there as well, so its a journey I can't wait to undertake.

Now, as to my town, I live in PA, in York county in the city of York. We're below Harrisburgh and not far from the Maryland line, the mason dixon line. I live on the west end of town now, which used to be a lot quieter when i was growing up, but is now filling out. Parts of it are sort of bad, drugs flow through the city of York in a major way, but when I was living out on the east end, I didn't really notice it. I'm on the corner, and there's a turkey hill 3 blocks away. I don't know if other states have turkey hill, I know they don't have Rudder's, that's a PA only deal there. Every once in a while, I'll hear gunshots. One time somebody got arrested right out front as I was getting ready for bed around 12:30. I think they were driving drunk or something because a car stopped, a cop pulled up behind him, and from the way the cop acted, it sounded like the guy was doing something fishy, like reaching or trying to reach into a pocket, maybe to pull a gun, I think that's what the cop thought, because was screaming at the guy to get his hands up and stuff, well he put the dude in his car and took off.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-07-26 16:17:44

Hello all,

I currently live in a small town known as Narasaraopet, in the state of Andhra pradesh, India. This town is part of the region known as Palnadu in the district of Guntur. I live in a relatively quiet part of town, called Prakash Nagar, and I love the broad roads, low traffic, even so low that it makes me feel that nobody visits the area very frequently, and has trees lining the paths, if I remember very well. The area is especially peaceful in the evening, and in the afternoon, around 4 PM or so, I can here children in our neighbourhood play cricket on the road. There are a lot of attractions around town, one of which is called Kotappakonda, a small pilgrim site located some 13 km or so away from town, and is home to a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. It's one of the most popular attractions in the area, and I've visited the place three times. One very interesting thing to note about the town itself, is the fact that it has completed it's 100th anniversary as a municipality in 2016, which is very great.

2017-07-26 17:05:38

Once upon a time, my title reflected the fact that I felt that I had no personal home I felt attached to or anything that held great interest to me anywhere I lived; today, I live in Florida with my family in a city called Rockledge, close enough to Cape Canaveral which is known first and foremost for its many rocket launches, next, for its unpredictable weather patterns and tons of summer thunderstorms.  You can usually expect a system of this caliber to move in anywhere between 2 in the afternoon and 7 in the evening; sometimes they last for a few hours while other times they move so quickly through the county that unless you were paying close attention you might actually miss it altogether.
The area my house resides in is rather quiet; we are currently concerned because we have seen some snake activity around the neighborhood, but the people themselves usually keep to themselves around here.  You get the occasional family who throws a party when they feel it is called for but for the most part no one bothers anyone else.  The rest of the city also has quiet neighborhoods but does consist of many areas that tend to be rather busy and loud given it does have major stores like Walmarts and local fastfood chains such as Mcdonalds and Burger King; the worst times to travel are usually between 6 and 8 in the morning then picking up again somewhere between 3 and 6 in the afternoon hours.
While I know I've only been living here for nearly three years, I'd highly recommend you stay away from it unless you sincerely enjoy hot, humid weather and have a ton of money to throw around on a regular basis given that accessibility for the blind and visually impaired is almost nonexistent, older disabled individuals, senior citizens and veterans are a higher priority than anyone else as far as government and insurance companies are concerned, and bugs such as gigantic cockroaches and malicious mosquitos are always hanging around on a regular basis trying to get into your home and everything else you own along with lizards and goodness only knows what else I haven't yet encountered here, though I have heard stories about Alligators slipping into people's swimming pools.  This generally means that unless you have money for exceptional pest control you'll be doing your absolute best to keep your house clean and wondering why it's not doing a thing to help you. Water is drinkable for the most part if you live anywhere here or decide to drink from some friend's kitchen sink, but you'd be better off trying to obtain bottled water or getting it from some other source you know you can trust; we pay 30 dollars a month for spring water from a company not affiliated with the city itself.  You can expect your overall water bill to cost you about 60 dollars a month, your electric bill to total as many as
200 dollars if you constantly run your AC unit which is a must in this place, and your natural gas to cost you anywhere from 15 to 30 dollars a month which is usually averaged out once a year by the company in question you'll be paying, assuming you use any gas appliances such as heating units, dryers or stoves.  All of these utilities are ridgidly controled by one company a piece, meaning there isn't much in the way of choice, so you either get your utilities through them or you have nothing.  for the most part I'd say you're better off renting an apartment, but I wish you the absolute best finding an apartment that is not costly unless you're living alone.  Two bedroom apartments never cost any less than $600 around here, while a 3 bedroom apartment ranges from anywhere between $800 and $1000.  Getting on government assistive housing programs such as section 8 is rather difficult because they consist of waiting lists that are only opened once a year to the best of my knowledge, and the waiting lists generally contain thousands of names, of which only a small percentage of individuals are selected before the list is closed.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-07-26 21:50:26

Wow oh man guys so many descriptions.
A couple you live in post apocoliptic places with dynosaws and bugs from starship troopers!
Well my country is not much to speak of.
I also don't have this huge speel on  its history, I mean I could but to be honest I am not bothered to much.
So history, our country was descovered by captain cook in the 1700s or was it 1600s I forgot.
There is a lot of history with the maori and various subtribe about this.
There is ofcause the waitangi treaty in 1840, which lead to a lot of land confescations and the like and which we are slowly handing back.
At this point to any maori or other on here, if you are offended by the next bit I think you better stop reading or skip the bit when it comes up because its going to come up right now.
Sadly and this is my opinion, while there are some good maoris about and I know a lot of them a few are my friends,  I do have an issue with some of them.
I live in a country called new zealand which is in the paciffic island group, our closest naibouring countries are antartica and the south pole and australia.
There are a lot of other islands.
The 2 main islands are north and south island and while there is a maori legend about the north and the south in fact there is a lot of stories but I foget the major legends as such.
Our country is on several plates and is highly volcanic auckland the city I live in has about 50 volcanoes of its own.
The south island has a lot of earthquake activity to a few big ones hit not to long back and we are getting still some flack from that.
We have our share of museums and shopping malls, 2 of which are close to me, and one a bit further away.
We don't have any real huge train network as such a few busses and mostly cars and bikes.
For a city we are one of2 super citties and cost of living is really high we have  shortages of doctors and teachers and the rest of it.
Crimes we have a few, we also have poverty of some sort as well as generational povity which is no good to.
We have some crime but its not as bad as the us.
Unless you are of island race that is.
Oh yeah here is the rant.
Again it is my opinion, while we don't have religious nuts about as such we do have maoris about.
it always seems to be some gang or something crime related in the south of the city.
South auckland and west are whare all the maori dregs hang.
They are the poor places but also trouble.
Again while we do have some good representitives of the maori race there are many on drugs, that do not work and want handouts are greedy and just bring their race down. whenever there is some crime about its usually a maori that gets the blame, and while other races aisians etc do cause crimes the other non whities usually get it.
Saying that our country is free mostly and we have rights we don't have to much in the way of actual government issues, we have the councils of each city and the government in wellington the capital.
The government don't usually bother generally and spend most of the time fighting among themselves, or at least to me it looks like it.
Even with all the baggage we have our country is away from any nuke war, its mostly peacefull and its a good place to live as long as you don't anger the wrong people that is.
We are mostly a friendly lot, oh and if I have to say something positive about islanders, they are good with stone and construction of that type without them we wouldn't have any stone walls by our beaches.

2017-07-27 06:21:42 (edited by Jeffb 2017-07-27 06:25:52)

I thought I add where I’m from after reading all these great descriptions. I live in Pennsylvania in the suburbs of Philadelphia about a 15 minute drive outside of the city. Here we are about an hour or 2 from the shore and an hour or 2 away from the mountains. My street dead ends into a park which I frequently visited as a kid to play on the playground and watch my brother’s baseball games. My block is a friendly one, everyone knows each other and besides the sounds of cars and kids running around it’s a relatively quiet street. I live right down the street from a Catholic school and church and I’m about 2 blocks up from a busy road where I can catch a bus. The public transit system here is pretty good. We have buses, trollies, and trains to take you both in and around the city. I don’t know too much about the history of my town. I know there is a lot more history in Philadelphia as it was once the US capital. One neat thing however is that my local library was a stop on the Underground Railroad. There are lots of pizza places around here and quite a few soft pretzel and water ice places too. Here we say wooder instead of water. Everything is close by from stores, to restaurants, movie theaters, bowling alleys, anything really. Philadelphia is up there in terms of the crime rate, that being said there are a lot of nice places to visit just like in most cities you have your nice parts and not so nice parts. The suburbs and the town I live in are really nice and the crime rate is much lower. That’s really all I can think of for now.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2017-07-27 12:39:57

hi,

well as some of you might of guessed, I am from the capitol city of Wales, Cardiff.

Its a nice smallish city with a population of about 400k, my favourite places in the city centre is the mediaeval Cardiff Castle and Saint David's Cathedral ,  we are only about 30 minutes away by car from our neighbours England, and my city is a port city.

I am from the district formally known as Tiger Bay, and is where the famous singer Shirley Bassey is from, although its certainly not my style of music, heh.

Now its been revamped to astronomical proportions  and is known as Cardiff Bay and get thousands of tourists every week which is a pain. Saying this I have lived here all my life and can't see me moving

2017-11-02 23:23:32

Hi. I come from Tartu Estonia.
Tartu is a second city by size after Tallinn the capital. Estonia itself is quite a small country by the baltic sea. We are surrounded by Sweeden in the west, Latvia in the south, Russia in the east and Finland in the north.
That much for now about my physical/geographical location, but mentally I'm a martian. Somehow I have always felt some connection to the red planet and considered it to be my home. There is actually more serious side to this, as I really feel like an alien to society and many other things, that should come as common sense, but for me they mostly do not.

2017-11-03 00:07:55

I live in Serbia, That is south of Hungery and about to the north of Greece. The town is Novi Sad, Basicly a very good town to live in I think. Everything is basicly heer, cause it's basicly the gratest city next to Belgrade, witch is the capital of Serbia. Well, I expect that my Over all location is grate a peaceful town, a carm street with 3 parks very neer, and very close to the center of the town. Sadly the view from my flat when I was able to see wasn't really in pressing, from my window there were garages and you could see a hotel in the  distance and from the other side of the Flat where is my sisters room you can see the street it self with a car repare service. I would pay anything to see that view again tongue
Well, that's all. And btw if you are wondering why I have typed in secret weapons storage in the from box, that's because I wanted my username and location to match. haha

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-11-03 07:30:45

hi! I am from Indonesia, a large country in the southeast asia, neighboring with Malaysia, Singapore, australia and many more. I live in a city called Bandung, the capital of west java province. this city is populated by millions of people, I don't know the exact amount lol, and there are a lot of trafic here in the morning and evening.
bandung famous here because its culinary tours, there are a lot of unique food here, even with indonesia being unique with hundred of cultures within, Bandung just have many kind of foods.
anyway, the most famous from Indonesia is bali, often people just know Bali but don't know that is the part of Indonesia, haha. this is a tropical country, so there are only rainy and sunny seson here, oh, I wish that I can play with snow in the harsh cold winter! it seems so fun!

good day
togira
sorry for my bad english

2017-11-03 15:47:51

Hello.
I've always loved learning about different countries and their cultures and so I'm really enjoying this topic.
I live in Yorkshire, a large county in the north of England. My town, Scarborough is a small, coastal one which gets a lot of attention from tourists all year round. There is quite a bit to do round here; we of course have a beach, an old castle which can be visited, a light house and above all, plenty of fish and chip shops big_smile
I love where I live but I've found that in the last few years it has become very busy and a lot of new buildings which give this town character have been nocked down and replaced by new businesses. We at least still have two separate sides of the beach; North side which holds the castle etc and is quiet and more old and South side which is full of arcades, shops and restaurants.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2017-11-03 18:27:56

Like Nocturnus, I live in Florida, but on the opposite side of the state. Where he lives on the Atlantic side, I live on the Gulf side.

I live in a tourist trap of a town called Clearwater which is a part of the Tampa Bay area. It is in Pinellas county which is between Tampa Bay and the Gulf of Mexico, right on the coast.

Because it's close to tropical here, there are only two seasons, summer, which is scorchingly hot and humid, and winter, which is usually pleasant both in temperature and humidity, though we do get a few bitingly cold blasts from the north each year.

For the visually impaired, it's not the best place to live. While there are accomodations for pedestrians, it can sometimes be spotty with sidewalks ending without warning, and if you keep going straight, walking on the grass, you are likely to end up in a roadside drainage ditch, which are usually pretty nasty, and not some place you'd want to swim. And where there are sidewalks, they are often narrow and full of obstructions like, light poles, street signs of all types, bus stop benches, trees, and just about anything else you can think of to block a sidewalk with. Who needs Liam's Blinded Guide when you have real life! And on top of that, there are no accomodations for the visually impaired at crossings, but that is a common problem through out the US, not just Clearwater or Florida. And the mysterious affliction that seems to strike all drivers where pedestrians become invisible, and you have a pretty good description of any town USA, including Clearwater.

2017-11-03 22:20:00

Yo all, i from russia, and i'm in the city called snezhinsk. Don't know about my city too much. Really. Everything that i know it's really small, has no mountains/castles/something other, but it has a lake don't know what's the side of it, called sinara. It's big, and it never was warm. I mean the lake. Well, we live on a street of victory, and i did probably understood the lake is west side of our town, so we have forest in our street, it's big also, and we have a health trail, so you have forest on two sides and you have cement road in the center. It's approximately 2/3 km long, and it leads to the lake at the end. Well, nice to know where others live, and your guys writing really good descriptions that i would be never able to write. Never was good descripting something.

2017-11-04 10:26:04

hi there
i live in the country known as israel/palestine. it's a jewish christian muslim country, so it's extreemly diverse, that's why i like it
my family came from jerusalem and some of them came also from jafa. i come from salfit, a small ish city at the center of palestine/israel, and it's very near to the israeli city and what we call settlement Ariel. i live in a village near that city. the village name is qirah or kireh, and the original name of that village is farha which translates to happiness in arabic. the village is very small and peaceful, and does have a few mysterious locations, like a haunted house and a few others
now a days is the season of olive picking and harvesting, we pick olives to make olive oil out of it smile
i guess that is a general idea about where i live
it's nice to meet all of you guys

don't wish to become like the oceans, the flowers, or the sun. oceans will dry out, flowers will die, and the sun will be extinguished. be yourself and nothing and no one else and hope for a better tomorrow.

2017-11-12 10:34:34

Hi. I live in the beautiful country of South Africa. With its rolling grasslands to the east and the barrin Karoo to the north ant the coastline stretching from west to east for as far as the eye can see, it truely is a beautiful place to live in. Oh, and don't forget the diverse wildlife and cultures that we have on offer.

And when I say diverse culture, I really mean diverse. We have 11 national languages with universal sign language having also beeng recognised a few years ago. Just fyi for those who aren't good with math, that makes 12.

Where I live:

I live about 15 miles from the sprauling city of Johannesburg, Yes the very city where all those people came to dig for gold in the late 19th century, although it is alot vigger and more polluted now.

and lastely, how can one mention South Africa without mentioning Rugby and biltong. If you don't know what biltong is, the Americans have perfected there own version witch they call jurkey, and if you don't know what that is, i'm sure Google will be willing to help you out, provided you ask nicely of course.

And that ladies and gentleman is where I live.

Who's next?

Ask, and you will receive.
Seek, and you will find.
Knock, And the door will be opened for you
Mat. 7:7

2017-11-12 12:41:42

Hello, I live in Romania, in a town called Buzău. This is in the southeast of the country, in the Muntenia region. Well, it's a small one. The distance between this town and Bucharest, the capital of Romania, is 120 kilometers away, Don't know how to convert it in miles. Anyway, if you will go there with your car, you would reach the destination in aproximately a couple of hours.
Now I'm returning back to the description of my town, let's start!
The most important building is called White House or County Council, which is on the Nicolae Bălcescu boulevard, somewhere in the central part of the town. This is the headquarters of the Buzău county's prefecture, which is subordinate to the government. Why have I used the "county" word? I'll tell you now. Romania is composed by 41 counties that are composed by Towns, comunes and villages. One of these towns is chose as the capital of the county. In the most cases, the county's capital has the county's name, but it isn't an obligatory situation. For example, the capital of Covasna county is called Saint George, Ploiești for Prahova county, Reșița for Caraș-severin county, Zalău for Sălaj county and so on. In this Case, the capital of Buzău county is Buzău, the town I'm talking about..
Other important buildings are the Children Palace, the Episcopal Residence, Carrefour and/or Aurora Mall, Kaufland, XXL, Lidle and Galeria Mall.
This tawn has also a high school for blinds and sighted people where I study, a school for deaf-and-dumbs, and a school for crazy people.

I hope it's a good description, so enjoy reading it.
Cheers,
Florian

If you want to get in touch with me, e-mail me at [email protected].
We can also get in touch on Telegram.

2017-12-01 16:09:06

This is a very interesting topic! I live in Tshwane, which is the second largest metro in Gauteng after Joburg and one of the largest cities in South Africa. It's actually one of the better cities to live in. We're not as polluted as Joburg, and unlike Cape Town it actually rains here which means you're allowed to spend more than 2 minutes in the shower (context, the Western Cape has a serious drought which has lead to insane water restrictions to prevent millions of people from running out of clean water). Also, we have one of the lowest crime rates when compared to other major cities in the country, although it's still far from ideal and there are much safer areas outside the big metros. But obviously big cities do have their advantages, schools/universities/doctors/hospitals/shops to get whatever you want etc are always close by, assuming you can afford it.
As for the weather, it's pretty similar to what Nocturnus described for where they live minus the humidity as we are hundreds of kilometres from the nearest ocean and about 1500m above sea level. But hot, wet summers, and cool, dry winters. Our winters actually used to get quite cold at a point, when I was little I remember the minimum temperature would approach (and occasionally reach) 0 in the middle of the winter, although it only happened a handful of times that we went below freezing. But generally winters have minimums below 10 and maximums below 20 during the coldest part, whereas summers generally have minimums in the late teens and early twenties and maximums in the 30s. The rain does fortunately bring relief in the summers, and can cool things down significantly. We are generally better at dealing with cold than people from some other parts of the country like KZN where nothing you could really call a winter ever happens, and the summers also don't get as hot (although they are next to the coast and very humid which makes a given temperature feel much hotter there than it does here). We also get frequent thunder storms exactly as nocturnus described, i.e. they can last for hours or be over so quickly you barely notice, and most often happen in the afternoon. And we definitely have the insects (and occasionally snakes although they are quite rare and probably only after the rodents), but I don't think I've ever heard of a crocodile ending up in someone's pool. Although we apparently did have a big fish in our school pool once after a flood, which makes sense as the school is near a river.

2017-12-02 05:31:47

Hello, I live in a van down by the river.

Seriously though, haha, I live in a small suburban city of Dallas, Texas, called Seagoville.  We're on the Dallas/Kaufman border, but we are considered Dallas County.  We are a small city with a population of about 15,000 in about 19.5 square miles, or so.   We don't have public transportation, but we have just about everything you'd need and it's all within two miles of it's self and very laid out in such a way that  you could navigate to anything you needed to easily.  From m y house, you could walk to Walmart in less than 30 minutes.  I lived here most of my life and have watched this city grow from a small population of about 4,000 to where it is now.  If you have lived here most your life, you'd call this place a little hick town, but  it's far from it now.   I live in a school zone, and the city's sporting event stadium is just around the corner from my house and I can go outside and listen tot he  football and soccer games.   Especially if the varcity games have their marching bands performing.  IT's very peaceful.  I like it here.  We hardly hear air traffic, so that's a plus.

My Solo album, "A Life Seen Through Broken Eyes", available now:
iTunes Spotify YouTube
My YouTube Channel

2019-04-07 03:37:35

Hello!I live in Bucharest the capital city of Romania!What i can say about my city to sound nice?Hmmm
First we have a lot of traffic.
The streets are lets say not soo good.
But we have nice places too.Like the Cotroceni palace or the palace of Parliament.The palace of Parliament i heard that is actually the second biggest building in the world.After the Pentagon.
We have a Triumphall Arch like in France wich is nice.
The city is not too big but not too small.
Its perfect size.
Nice to meet you all!