2017-11-09 07:05:17

Ok, so it's not the only thing to take the Electron route, but...

Skype just released an update (it's still rolling out) that replaces the perfectly (or at least, mostly optimally with a little tweaking) working native interface with one powered entirely by a single instance version of Chrome. Basically, the Skype client is now one big, weird webapp-looking thing. Windows users will love the breakage of screenreader scripts (if they use them) and all the familiar interface elements, Mac users will love the unresponsiveness and messy Voiceover navigation, and Linux users will love the blank window (Chrom{e,ium} isn't accessible, still). Everyone will enjoy the extra resource and battery usage.

Meh. I didn't mean to make that quite as potentially negative as it sounded... I do get why this was done, and if the resource usage and accessibility bugs (these are not Skype's problem directly) weren't a problem, it'd be ok. I do like the idea of easy, cross-platform development...

I'm going to post this before more is written that seems more ranty than it's meant. It'd be advisable if you haven't gotten the update to backup your Skype application data at least, so you have copies of your chats that you can export as text or HTML if you want to (remember, from five years ago, the first Skype chats with your partner/close friend(s)?)
On the upside, your screenreader will automatically read notifications and some incoming messages...

Have you gotten the update yet? What are your thoughts?

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2017-11-09 07:47:37

Well, shit. How long will the classic Skype be supported? This is not the first instance of grumbling that I've heard about the new update, and I'm not impressed. Particularly since I can't think of any comparable program that is as easy to use, now that AIM is dead as well.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2017-11-09 08:13:32

No idea. Here's hoping they actually keep the native ones working, at least for a while. But prior experience makes me question the probability of that.

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

2017-11-09 08:38:43

I moved away from skype months ago. I got myself a teamtalk server and never looked back. There is FB messenger, facetime, whatsapp and so on...

2017-11-09 09:01:42 (edited by big d 2017-11-09 09:02:39)

Just grabbed the update from skype.com, and have been playing with the interface using NVDA and JAWS. NVDA seemed better able to handle it, but the experience won't be anything like what it was. Probably obvious, but again, none of the script/addon functionality/keystrokes will work in this new interface. It does try, though.

Edit: holy battery hog!

2017-11-09 09:33:03

So, that mean when you go to get the Skype from Skype.com, you'll get that new update?

2017-11-09 12:31:04

Never doing it... I've lost a good IM client to greed, lost a fair IM protocol to greed; there's only so much I'm willing to compromise.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2017-11-09 13:09:00

OMG. I hope that the classic skype will still be usable. It wasn't supported ever since that skype preview came out, witch, btw, wasn't any better then that new version. I haven't downloaded it yet, but jujing by all those things I shoorly  don't plan to do that in the future.

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-11-09 14:28:01

Holy shit. I'm planning to get Skype for my Mac. But now, the news has distracted me already. smile

2017-11-09 15:21:55

Why can't they just leave things that work alone, and or give us choice in the matter. Sigh.

2017-11-09 22:22:12

Wait what? Is this the Windows 10 app or the desktop app?

2017-11-09 23:31:02

This applies to all versions of Skype, that I know of. At least, the Skype for desktop, Mac OS and Linux downloads. If you still have your old versions, do make backups! IDK about the redistribution of software... I do have good, working versions of Skype for Windows desktop, Mac and Linux just prior to the Electron update, but someone more versed in license terms will have to comment on the legalities of posting download links to them. Besides, who knows how long they'll work for? Fond memories of just over three years ago when they released a new version, and forced everyone to update if they wanted to sign in...

2017-11-09 23:49:30

It doesn't surprise me if Microsoft breaks or destroys its work. I am used to it now. It destroyed the enticing experience of Windows 7, it did away with some very good applications that were available from Windows XP to Windows 7, now it's the turn of Skype. Hope they at least maintain Windows Media Player as it is the only desktop application that has remained from older versions of Windows.

2017-11-10 00:04:57

is this thing going to auto update my existing Skype? if so I'm turning my auto update off. actually i'll do that anyway. I love my Skype the way it is. I installed 6.2, hacked it to bits then let it update but it's still never managed to put the adds back in or any of the other annoying stuff like that home screen thing. just keeps a nice window on the left side of the screen that's easy to use. still with I could get rid of the search field though so I could just first letter navigate to people's names.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2017-11-10 00:32:10

Don't forget what they did to Sound Recorder. It used to be very decent, other than the issue of it writing to RAM instead of the hard drive when recording.

2017-11-10 05:41:30

Well skype is how I communicate for groups and family.
So no way am I anot using it.
So I guess if I need to then I guess I will have to.
It maybe will push me to getting an ios device or droid, who knows, probabbly apple or at least something that can use whats app because thats what everyone I know uses now.
True there is an nvda group I use on skype but to be honest once I do get into whats app, bar a few friends that I won't have anymore there is probably vary little reason to even bother staying on the skype client.
Hopefully they get this cross platform thing right.
If it hits win10, that will be another nail in the coffin.
With the death of ms music among other things, its going to become harder and harder to convince me to upgrade and not just go back to a less secure version of windows.

2017-11-10 13:58:09

omg are they going to do that to skype for desktop as well? Really. I almost cry when I use windows xp witch is almost never now and when I see all those good things like the traditional start menu and apps. And anyone renember internet backgammon? Well, let me just say that it was accessable enough. I am sad even now when I am writing this post.

2017-11-10 15:17:26

Does this break chat commands?

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2017-11-10 15:21:05

Sorry for the double posting, but...

Just tried to run the installer, and got this:

Setup  dialog  Please install Skype from the Windows Store for the best experience.
OK  button

It doesn't even give you a choice! Unbelievable!

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2017-11-10 16:27:41

Lol. Best experience. Have to love it when they think their subjective best experience is best for everyone.

2017-11-10 16:53:07

@tgc
all I have to say is, wow. I am just waiting for the day when downloading from the windows store can be called the best experience. tongue

2017-11-10 17:23:28

I wonder if it would be possible to somehow make Skype accessible on Linux. I am using Chromium as my main browser and I know how to get it to work and be accessible, but will it be possible to use this idea on an chromium-based app?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-11-10 19:20:49

You know I do wander why they can't just do what they did with teamtalk, bareware had a new interface for teamtalk, in qt that was not accessible.
He just transfered the old interface over.
For us we don't need the home tab, just the main interface.
The bit of the skype interface which is not accessible are all the extra buttons and the fact I couldn't get sounds to play on it the menus work and at least in nvda the buttons for some things did work settings worked and read but still.
If we could keep the standard interface well.
Yeah, any new win10 versions they want you to use the skype app and well who knows.
I know from filehippo you can still get skype classic and if you search for it ms still have it.
You can also get a version from oldversion.com then update that one.
As long as ms supports skype classic on their servers we are ok, however if it comes down to it I am going to have to send a mail at ms access and see exactly what they can do, others should probably do the same.
Its bad enough we have to struggle with sighted things at the best of times but heck, skype?
Come on!
Worse because ms no longer allows people to use skypekit anymore its not like we can fucking switch to another client!
And while I don't need skype a huge amount I do still use it.
So what if skype goes the way its going.
Simple, I will simply just not use skype which really means that I have less of a reason to upgrade to win10 and use ms accounts at all.
For the short term I will have to make sure I never get the latest skype.
In the long term maybe 5 years maybe sooner I am going to be having to get ios, facetime, whats app, and the like.
I was thinking of getting into a smart phone, most of the family use droid and ios, and we have equal amounts of devices however well.
I just hope the skype app is usable in win10 for what its worth.

2017-11-10 19:49:35

It feels like the trend lately has been to take away options. Facebook seems eager to kill everything that isn't their main app for each platform, "to give the best experience". What next; are new devices just not going to come with on-board memory, and force everyone to use Google drive / iCloud drive / ... is Microsoft still doing One drive?

In order to provide the best possible experience, we cut off your legs. Now, you can sit back and relax, as our automated travel chairs quickly and efficiently take you whereever our adverti—whereever you need to go. No more of the strain of walking to the store at the end of the block, as our autochairs will take you directly to the nearest Walmazon location. We're happy to be providers of the best possible experience!

* Users who were already in wheelchairs no longer need to bother with rolling or steering, either. Best experience for everyonedd

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2017-11-10 23:55:31

Yeah, WhatsApp is what I'd switch to if push really comes to shove on this. I already use it, but I rarely use it on my PC. At least, as I said in the Chrome add-ons topic, there is a way to make it accessible if I really do have to go that route. Unfortunately, the desktop app they provide isn't terribly accessible. it works with NVDA, but barely. The story is the same with JAWS, according to one of my friends who uses that as his primary screen reader. But really, I don't want to get rid of Skype. It broke my heart enough to have to stop using AIM.

Also, for the person who said that the Skype installer now directs you to install the latest app from the Microsoft Store, which is total bs, what would happen if you ran an older version of the offline installer while having your internet disconnected? I'd try that, and I may actually do it just to see what happens.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.