2017-11-09 03:56:41

they do? I was afraid to upgrade because I didn't think any version above 13 would work.

I am the blind jedi, I use the force to see. I am the only blind jedi.

2017-11-09 06:33:06

How do I upgrade my jaws version for free? Check for updates in the help menu didn't bring up new versions, do I have to use one of my ILMs? to upgrade?

2017-11-09 12:30:19

As far as I know, you can't upgrade jaws for free. Where did you hear you could? If you're five versions behind, unless you can get some kind of grant or discount for being on a low income or something, it'll cost a pretty penny.

2017-11-09 14:48:09

There no free upgrades unless you bought a SMA back when you bought version 13, and that would only get you up to version 15.

If you didn't, not only will you have to pay $150 for the upgrade to 2018, but you'll have to pay the upgrade fee for all those versions you skipped. So you'll have to pay 6 times  $150 or $900 to upgrade to 2018, at that price you may as well skip the upgrades and just buy a new license for 2018.

Yeah, I know, it's the greediest and most unfair upgrade policy I've ever seen in my 38 years in the computer industry.

If it were me, I'd probably start taking a good hard look at NVDA. But since I like JAWS, I make it a point to keep my SMAs up to date so it only costs me $5 per month to stay current.

2017-11-09 20:40:33

I am using NVDA, Microsoft edge, and never looked back at jaws. Come on, I would radder pay for unsupported window eyes thwn jfw witch has updates every month to keep there customers there customers. Really. If you are going to dich edge because jaws doesn't support it, then see you 10 years later complaining about costs and what ever. And, for those guise that said why do blind people want to have everything for free, well then you should know that system access costs $399 and that you can get it a subscription of $22 per month witch also contains                                                                             sero something like klango to cut the long story short, and docu scan plusm a ocr program. Nowm what's that with $1000? Even more?
ps: I have used system access, And it's defenetly better then jaws, it's simple, has support for menny apps, menny things witch jaws has it self, All I have to say. And, owe yeah keyhook in bgt?

If life gives you communism, become a communist dictator.

2017-11-10 01:05:03

An $150 per upgrade? Then, why is FS charging $550 to go from 15 to 2018. If you notice, that is 4 upgrades. System is best compared to what web aloud used to be if anyone remembers what that product is. System access, as far as I can tell, is designed for home use instead of professional use like what FS seems to be aiming for with JAWS. This may be why serotech seems to offer system access with serro and DocuScan plus in one package. Yes you get basic support for word and the like, but you might want to use something else with more professional type features. Now one interesting thing is that jaws 2018 has built in basic scanning. To me, if I am force to update to windows 10 today, I will be force over to NVDA seeing that I am four versions behind on JAWS. I myself have been known to work with word documents that had comments that I had to gain access to. Having JAWS bring up and display a list of those comments to me has proven useful. On the other hand, JAWS could be a bit better when it comes to getting around word document tables. Every now and then, having the document in question presented to me as an HTML document has made things a touch easier when there was a bunch of a headings to getting around. Go look at the user guide for the latest braille sense for an example. Yes, I have used JAWS to create power point things and found it doable, but I often find that I export power point files to RTF outlines when I need to look at said files. Not always the best, but it works. It is worth noting that I am using office 2010. As a side note, knowing when the formatting changes helps a bunch. I also find that hitting shift plus alt plus l to give me a list of misspelled words and then hitting enter on one of those misspelled words to jump to the misspelled word of my choice to be really useful. Now, I really do need to get to seeing if NVDA does what I need it to do, and if not, what it would take to make it work.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2017-11-10 16:26:04 (edited by Orko 2017-11-10 20:39:42)

Monthly updates? What's wrong with that? Everybody knows that technology is always changing, so a program that isn't updated is very quickly a program that doesn't work any more. Microsoft does monthly updates if not more frequent. NV Access does quarterly updates, Freedom Scientific, like Microsoft, does monthly updates. So what's the problem? Or is it simply that you don't like JAWS so you vilify anything and everything Freedom Scientific does, even if it's the same thing everybody else in the industry is doing.

The BGT keyboard hook problem isn't as big a problem as you'd like everyone to believe. It's a minor annoyance with several work arounds, nothing more.

2017-11-10 20:04:51

Moderation!

@Big gun, please learn to voice your opinions as opinions. That you think System access or Nvda is better than jaws is fair enough, but categoricall statements about what "is better" etc are just going to inflame the situation.

@orco, your reply in post 107 is going waaaay over the  line into personal territory discussing Big gun's motives etc and accusing him of "not being a man" etc. While Big gun's phrasing was not reasonable, I'm afraid your reply was even less so, don't do this again.

Please remember the Rules of discussion topic which was posted here which gives some details of how to avoid situations like this and what happens when people's attitudes in a debate get the best of them.

If this topic continues to be acrimonious it will be closed and people will start getting mod warnings, and we know where that goes.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2017-11-10 20:16:28

@cw just some help. To list comments in NVDA, you open up the elements list with NVDA+f7, and you can choose comments from the radio buttons group, which should be equivalent to what you do with jaws. In there, since the latest update, you also have misspelled words through which you can jump with w and shift+w as well if you use browse mode, which is the equivalent of virtual cursor in jaws. If you even decide to make a switch, I do recommend you read the NVDA user guide as it lists all this and even more.

2017-11-10 20:29:16

Sorry, I got carried away. I hope my edited message is more acceptable.

2017-11-10 23:55:35

Lol, big gun. At least freedom scientific has updates. NVAccess just seems to put updates out every year or so, by that time jaws has put out about 12 updates.

2017-11-11 12:46:21

@111 gotta love misinformation. NVDA has 4 updates in a year, just for your info. The last one for this year is about to come btw.