2017-10-06 19:24:19

@Green Gables Fan, just a small recommendation: I wouldn't use Vinux if I were you. If you do, your pretty much locked into not updating anything -- because if you do it breaks everything.
@75, yes, it still uses old libraries -- very, very old libraries. But it's a very good synth and works excellently with Emacspeak. As for why you should use Emacspeak, Orca doesn't work with Emacs at all. Emacspeak provides a hell of a lot of awesome features to improve your Emacs experience.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-10-06 23:17:55

Right, but why use that? Why not just use the base system?  It seems to be installing a whole system, then installing yet another system.

2017-10-07 07:07:08

@blindndangerous, because while the base system offers you all the features that Emacs does, Emacs provides you all of them in one single installable package. Furthermore, Emacs is extremely extensible (though I've never been able to grasp LISP... Gah!) There are probably a hell of other reasons I don't know about, too, but it's an all around great program.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2017-10-07 07:16:15

So then why not make emax a distro on it's own?

2017-10-08 17:00:12

hey.  by they way what is e mac speek  its a screen reader  plese tell me

2017-10-09 04:42:37

I installed emacspeak using the Sudo apt-get install command in the terminal, but now I can't figure out how to quit Orca and launch Emacspeak. I heard that DECtalk could run on it.
Also, I installed RS Games, which uses Python-eSpeak, but I can't figure out how to change the speech rate or other voices to get the one I want. The speech rate is too slow, and the inflection is too low.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-10-14 00:18:52

Hello!
Now I have a problem:
QT-atspi doesn't work for me. I have it installed and QT apps are still inaccessible. I am using arch linux, any ideas what I have screwed up?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2017-10-14 08:41:41

this is a general Linux issue and one that's baffling me... without going near the Orca keys, seem to activate stuff without touching it....I can be typing away and go to put a space between words and preferences will appear despite me not hitting instert and space...

Ideas?

Oh and also my touchpad randomly decides having my hands above it is cause to throw my cursor across the screen, is that just down to the distro I'm running?

I type pretty quick but I for some reason

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2017-10-14 09:38:27

What distro are you using?
I had a similar issue with SOnar, now on Antergos everything is OK

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2017-10-14 09:48:04

Running Zorrin at the moment and I'm starting to think it may be a zorrin or hardware issue as I'm not sure if it's my touhpad being a dumbass or Zorrin not liking my Vostro laptop much...

Speaking of distros, am I right to do this

sudo dd if=knoppix.iso of=dev/sdb bs=4 syncm

Where the knoppix.iso is the iso I want to put on the USB drive, the of = is the dev/sdb which the startup creator in Zorrin, Ubuntu base lists as SDB and lsblk lists sdb as disk

Last Q: Is it worth it to try installing Sonarr given my desktop (I currently got Solus on there) is older and the newer desktops lag, or manage to put Adriene on there and run with that or what? I like Solus, but.....I use FF for my browsing and it lags like crazy.

Also on Linux natively

2017-10-17 18:53:50

Hello guys!
How can I start orca on Ubuntu 17.10? Control + super + s does not work

2017-10-17 19:10:11

I didn't know there was a 17.10. I just know about 16.04 Xenial Xerus.
Are you using this on a virtual machine? Maybe there is a command line feature to enable it?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-10-17 19:31:38

First of all, it's alt plus super plus S, second, if it doesn't work, try pressing alt f2 and type 'orca'. Warning! It will crash during the installation process.

2017-10-18 21:36:18

Here, have some DD questions.

I'm using sudo dd bs=4M if=antergos.iso of=/dev/sdb status=progress&&sync to put a Sonar iso on, and i works fine. problem is....I boot off the USB drive, it goes into Solus (which is what's on my desktop) regardless of if I pick to boot from the HDD or the USB stick

2. I have another memory stick that has a 982mb main partition, sdb, sdc is 2.1mb and this is where it gets interesting. I want to use the 982mb partition to store Adriene Knoppix on as a rescue disk....but....no matter what I try I always, without fail get an invalid partition table error. I've tried finding ways to delete dev/sdc, i've put tables on both, I've even restored the USB to how it was when I got it, and.....nothing works. I can write things to the USB stick once the machine's turned on...I can even write an ISO with DD, but.....no matter what, and this is the odd thing.....I got the HD set to boot first into Solus here, I insert the USB stick in this question, the system tries to always boot from the stick first

3. I've heard differing opinions on this, but...If I partition my HDD some more can I store all my ISO files in a seperate partition and boot them from the HDD to install on a seperate HDD? I've heard mixed reports about this for various reasons, some say it won't work, others say it's distro specific, others are saying it's ISO specific and so on

Lastly.....what exatly is the difference between DD and CP cmmands anyhow? I always use DD for putting ISO on USB drives, since it's what I'm used to but I got told CP is more reliable, any truth to that or stick with DD and copying it over via that?

@Ubuntu 17.10 It's an interim release and it's the newest release. Heard mixed things about i there

Also, I'm curious, I got FF on my Solus Budgie (great desktop environment btw) desktop, but Firefox lags like a horse, so.....are there any lightweight browsers I can import my FF profile into and keep up with my saved logins and suh?

Also on Linux natively

2017-10-19 09:25:52

Hello,
I have a question. Why the systemready sound doesn't work for me?
I use libcanberra for that purpose. I have enabled the propper scheme in gsettings.

2017-10-21 06:29:55

Here's one I'm wondering:

Can I somehow get my Zorrrin laptop (yep the one with the touchpad issues) to open the menu when I hit the super key AND keep alt+f1 to open the menu? It's probably an easy fix but.....

Also on Linux natively

2017-10-25 18:59:11

Hello guys!
Does anyone know how to use the new doc from ubuntu 17.10?

2017-10-28 04:42:57

Hello
Can someone tell me what is the easiest linux dissribution to use with vmware player?
Every time I try to make a vm with something, the version is never there, like the latest debian is not in the vmware list.

2017-10-28 14:03:07

You don't exactly need to select the latest version from the VMWare list.
Out of curriosity: how's the Ubuntu 17.10 accessible? I tried it on my mother's PC and it didn't work well. Unity-control-center was inaccessible, Orca crashed when switching apps ETC.

2017-10-28 18:23:56

Ok so when i try to install debian 9, i select debian 8x from the version list and i start the installation, i got to the partitioner and then it just froze, or stopped talking, i've tried this before and it just will freeze at random points, what do i do?

2017-10-28 18:30:20

17.10 Mate is 95% useable here...got it in a VM currently and it seems to work okay for me...admttedly I got a decent spec machine with 6 gig of RAM and a 3 gig processor

Also on Linux natively

2017-10-29 05:45:15

How can I enable doc in ubuntu 17.10?

2017-10-29 11:50:45

Hmm, did you go to the advance settings and allocated some RAM to the VM?

2018-02-12 00:08:27 (edited by kingzombie 2018-02-12 00:09:02)

Hello everyone.
I installed ubuntu 17.10 mate on vmware player and now i have a problem.
When i try to press the super, or windows key, it doesn't open the search menu thing, nothing happens.

2018-02-12 00:52:49

try using the alt f1 shortcut