2009-08-19 14:40:52

hi.

I just discovered This author on podiobooks.com.

for anyone who's played the smugglers games I think you'll find his stuff incredibly interesting.

Their about a man who winds up on a trading ship going from port to port muh as the ships do in the smugglers game, ---- though minus the pirates and war, --- just a chap trying to get buy in a very capitalist universe, making money on the side, meeting friends and not such good friends on board ship, and trying to get ahead and decide what he should be doing.

he even starts out working in the ship's gally!

I don't think this'll be for everyone, --- don't be expecting massive space battles or huge empires crumbling, ----- but for just the plain facts about what life on a solar clipper trading ship is like this is one fantastic series that I can't recommend enough.

Begin with Quarter share and work on from that, ---- the author's reading isn't bad either.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-12-06 17:07:09

thanks dark, sounds rather interesting.  i'll look it up, need something to read anyway, and was looking for a recomendation.  oh by the way, I just listened to your smugglers 3 podcast the other day, congratulations, you made me laugh at 3 in the morning.  oh and this may seem like a strange question, but did you ever take philosophy? you seem rather on the crazy side and i've noticed that with many people who take or have taken that subject, me encluded.

2009-12-06 18:37:38

OOuch dan! that's scary.

I'm actually currently doing my phd in philosophy at the moment, having done a degree and masters in it previously.

Glad you liked the pod cast I'll try and do one for smugglers 4 soon, ---- I'd also like to try some about gamebooks and the arborell torchlight game.

Btw, I've now added the series to Klango. I'm not sure if it's been approved for the scifi genre section of the catalogue yet, ---- but you can find it under golden age of the solar clipper in the just added section, along with another favourite of mine, ---- the corridor.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2009-12-06 22:44:26

i'm currently studdying it at A-level, along with r.e.  If I wasn't insane before this, I definitely am now.  I'll look for it on klango in a couple of days or so, when i get up to date with things.  thanks for that, see you around.

2009-12-07 00:07:42

Ah, I actually did A-level R-e myself, ---- I was in the last year to do three A-levels.

It was rather fun.

Let me know if you need any assistance, ---- I'm doing my phd in ethics (actually on the question of defining disability), but I'm currently taking an undergrad module on kant, Nietzsche and Schopenhaur for interests' sake, ---- so I might remember a bit of metaphysics.!, also remember, Descartes, Cant, all the ancient authors like Plato and aristotle and quite a few other people are available online.

Oh, and you might find reading some of the weerder sf authors like Ian M. Banks, philip K. Dick or Ursula leguin helpful, ---- as well as fun!

2009-12-07 19:38:20

Wow dark, will definitely give this a listen. also, to go slightly off topic, i haven't seen you on klango for a while, but it just might be me not logging in at the right time.

2009-12-07 19:59:20

ah, thanks sir, will be much appreciated.  i'm loving it at the moment, it also helps that the teacher is completely off the wall and well, its nothing like i expected it to be.  I'll give those authors a try as well, helps to have as much information as possible. and your phd sounds very interesting, let me know how it goes. see you around, no doubt.

2009-12-08 23:45:46

No need to call me Sir at all, ---- there is need to call me oh lord and master! otherwise I'll send my legion of rabid badgers to kill you in a most unspeakable way, ---- ;D.

This is probably going to sound weerd, --- -but I actually forgot Klango existed for a bit, sinse I'e been fairly taken up with other things, and my computer had the user accounts issue I mentioned.

to be honest I only remembered it sinse I've been trying to here the leviathan chronicles audio drama, but their site is a flash opperated nightmare! ---- fortunately, their feed is on Klango, --- which seems like a fantastic podcatcher and media player.

Leviathan was fun, ----interesting concepts and extremely good quality sound, ---- though there did seem to be a lot of rather random action sequences (the bike chase involving riding motorbikes down escalators seemed a bit much!).

I've also been sticking other things I like into the catalogue, ---- though it seems to take them a while to officially add stuff as the things I added seem to stil! be in the waiting room.

These include the solar clipper books, the corridor, ---- a fantastic multiple worlds fantasy novel, the secret world chronicle, --- an interesting take on superheroes, and now varient frequencies, a great short horror and sf collection, children of the gods, a scifi series, ---- and a few more things from darker projects which weren't in the catalogue!

I intend to now add anything I find particularly good to the catalogue for interests' sake.

It will also be good for me, sinse sites like varient frequencies are a bit of a pest for manually downloading episodes sinse they have rather cluttered pages.