2009-11-28 02:49:21

Found this on the web site for the BBC's technology show, Click. An intel ebook reader, presumably able to handle DRM protected ebooks beyond the PDFs that we're familiar with. It also apparently includes aside from speech synthesis the ability to capture text using its built in camera, and there is an optional capture station to get it in just the right position from the book.

There is some talk of general features in ebook readers first, but they get to it eventually after all the other mainstream devices. watch on the BBC web site

An interesting possibility , especially since it seems to offer similar functions to the KNFB reader.

Edit:
Okay sounds now that its more like the KNFB reader. Announcement from Humanware about their selling it

Unfortunately we also have the price on there. £1,000 for the reader, and another £250 if you want the "portable" capture station. I put portable in quotes since it apparently folds down to briefcase size - it might be handy for a college or somewhere like that, but VI people that use canes or guide dogs tend to need one hand for the cane or dog and the other for opening doors and so on. If it can't fit into a backpack then it isn't portable enough for me to carry on my own outside of the home.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2009-11-29 09:36:15

Okay renamed the topic since I now know what is going on a little more, and the old title might have put off some people who might be interested in this. Not trying to bump though so feel free to ignore this if you so wish. I just feel it is an unusual development.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.