2015-12-12 03:48:32

If anyone is curious, this is a list of craftable objects in the Lament Mud.  The person who gave me the link said it's not been updated in a long time, and it looks to be five years old. But this is the list they had early on, no telling how much more there is now.
Craftable Objects in Lament

2015-12-12 11:05:50

@Mirage, I can confirm crafting in Hellmoo sinse Wayfar1444 uses a hellmoo core codebase, though it's had a lot of custom stuff written as well and needless to say the subject matter is %100 different sinse there is nothing explicit in wayfar1444.

I actually stuck my nogin into Wayfar1444 yesterday to see what was what and they've had a couple of very nice updates, including a few screen reader adaptations like a lower spam on cockpit display when piloting vehicles, and best of all a nearby command that will let you know the coordinates of any biome type on the planet your on. This is really! necessary sinse manifestly you can't use the ascii map and it's a right royal pain wandering the entire planet looking for something really simple like sand as happened to me.

I'm actually tempted to give wayfar another go, particularly because while most of my buildings have been claimed by other people after they became deserted (fare enough sinse i've not played for probably more than a year), I only have a few more plants to find to finish the botonist background and then I can start nearly from scratch again with a new reroll.

Then again, I still have to decide what I'm doing with avalon and give lament a try, plus I doubt I'm going to be doing very much gaming over christmas anyway big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-12-12 23:25:02

I am so happy for you to be making the trip to see your lady!
Gaming can wait! *smile*

2015-12-13 01:45:28

Lol That is true Mirage, though I suspect gaming at least in some forms will be something she'd enjoy. She would like to improve her computer skills especially with net navigation and use of Window Eyes (her preferd screen reader), and there's nothing I know that can help more with that than playing web based computer games.
She's never tried full audiogames of any sort though.

She also reads extensively, and has apparently enjoyed playing card games in the past with her family, (at one point she did ask me if I could teach her how to play chess, which I could), and likes quizzes, which is certainly a good start.

She rather fancies the idea of some of the gamebooks and interactive story type games such as choiceofgames which I've described to her, but I suspect muds might be something she needs to work up to, especially sinse she's not a massive fan of having a screen reader turned up super fast, then again with muds like Avalon, Wayfar1444 and clok, that isn't as necessary as it is in a real hack n slash like Aardwolf or Alteraeon.

Btw, getting back on topic, does Lament have a website I can read about the game on? I tried google and seemed to find something, but got a 404. Even if I don't have time to majorly get into the game at the second I could at least have a look at how things work.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-12-13 06:38:27

I looked, but I couldn't find a website for Lament, which is why I didn't add one at the top of the thread.  If I can remember, I'll ask about it when I'm on again.  It would be nice if there was one central location for all the game information.  Maybe if the player base builds up, they'll add it.

2015-12-13 07:35:53

Hey Mirage!
Maybe we should open a topic for each of the allready mentioned muds in the general room and link it in your first post.
I got a general question about coffee-mud i started some weeks ago.

2015-12-13 13:18:04

@Firefly, other than in the Articles room for obvious reasons, topics are not that formal. Feel free to ask your coffee mud question here or in another topic if you wish. As we've manifestly mentioned coffee mud here it wouldn't be ot for this thread, though if you think it's an in depth enough question to require a dedicated topic you could do that too.
Remember topics are there to help discussion not be a streight jacket, use or not as you wish, indeed it always amazes me how people don't want to create new topics (it's not as if they're a limited resource).

Btw, I always thought coffee mud was a codebase rather than a complete game, sinse I recall lots of topics talking about coffee mud servers etc a while back.

One question I do have which is pertinant to this topic, is what exactly counts as crafting?
Materiamagica for example uses spell reagents to cast spells, which you often need to go and hunt down or gather, and also has ship building and sailing. I wouldn't go so far as to call this "crafting" in the same way as something like Clok, but certainly it's not just the usual hack and hope, especially because mm has a huge and complex wilderness system meaning you need to go and search for what you need quite extensively.

Personally, sinse my thing is exploration rather than crafting specifically, I really enjoy the gathering and hunting and wilderness wandering phases, but while I don't mind crafting something farely quickly as in Clok, I'd not want to stay in one place and craft all the time, especially if it requires huge amounts of resource management. When I was majorly playing core exiles (which has very extensive crafting even though it's a browser game not a mud), I tended to be a resource collection guy (which did include blowing up space pirates for loot as well as mining, refining, ship salvage, planetary and derelict exploring etc),  and get other people to do the actual building bit for me sinse I always found putting together all the resources and modules and subcomponents a bit of a chore.

Then again that's one nice thing about Ce, lots of friendly players, or indeed players who don't mind doing crafts so long as you provide them the resources, indeed I made lots of in game cash selling the resources I got to crafters.

2015-12-14 00:49:17

CoffeeMud is a game, and a code base as well.  I never played it for a long time, because I had the same confusion.

Firefly,
Feel free to ask your question. I don't know if I can help, but I'll try.

As for what constitutes crafting, I think of it as the ability to design and create goods, whether that's food, furniture, clothing, houses, or the like.  I'm sure that's a very plain definition, and others will have a more fully developed one, but that's what I'm looking for when I say I'm looking for crafting muds.

Unfortunately, I've had a terrible weekend, as I learned Friday night that my best friend passed away. So I can't say when I'll get this organized and into the articles room.
If someone would like to take the post, and do something with it, I'm fine with that too, because I may not do this as quickly as I first thought.  If not, I'll work on it as I can.

2015-12-14 01:58:48

@Mirage, really sorry to hear about your friend, and understandable that you have other concerns than muds and crafting right now. I hope you, and her/his family and other close friends will be okay.

Actually, nobody ccan! "take the post" as you put it, not with all the bbcode you've added sinse even if they coppied the text it wouldn't copy the links to the websites etc, and I'd very much rather that didn't happen.

This is your project and information you've gathered, and if we have to wait a little longer, no problem.

2015-12-14 02:24:16

Thank you, Dark.
She was one of the most beautiful people this world has ever known, and while we know she's not suffering anymore, we're all just reeling and at the beginning of grieving/accepting the loss.

2015-12-14 08:43:29

@Dark: Crafting in Coffee is realy about creating stuff from a lot of things. Bones, wood, furs, ore and other stuff.
OK, here is my question. I am playing as an artisan. Yes, it is true you get exp for crafting but not so much. Can i somehow raise my exp wich i get for crafting? Artisans are not good in all the fightings and surviving.
I am more the crafting-guy. I like to have me 6 7 8 place to get my stuff and start working to make a lot of money. After this i can equipp my self with the best armor, potions and so on and start exploring.
@Mirage: Oh damn, i am sorry to hear about that. I also lost a good friend when i was younger. I can imagine how you are feeling now. Please take your time, OK?

2015-12-14 17:59:24

Thank you, Firefly.

I don't know the answer to your question for Coffeemud. I wish there was a way to raise experience for crafting and exploring, but I'm not sure if there is a way.

2015-12-17 17:54:05

ironcross wrote:

Well from a recommendation in another post, I've checked out Lament, and its amazing. Very unique, for instance, rooms are usually pretty big, and you don't go through them instantly, instead, it takes time based on your posture / pace. You can walk, jog, run, sprint, stoop and crawl. It involves looking at things in a room to get the whole picture. It's very well descript. It's RP oriented and features awesome combat. The crafting is cool in its own way. This one's very unique, it also has a screen reader mode which replaces the graphics with text. I could go on for hours about the intricacies of Lament. It's well worth checking out. It really does need more players, its a shame, but I've not seen anyone on there except the admin, and its insane that its not more popular. It's setting is 10 to 12th century. lament.ghostglass.net port 8600 if you want to check it out.

*P.S.* That post mensioned above is this post, lol.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-02-09 10:42:54

Yes, threadcromancy time.

This is because some more information has come to light regarding muds with different activities, and I thought it might be interesting to revive the discussion, me having recently gone on something of a mud binge.
It would be great if Mirage was able to update the great list she's got in the first post and maybe make a full scale guide for the articles room, though manifestly that all comes down to time.
Even if not though, perhaps some more posts and iformation on this topic would be worth while.

First, unfortunately wayfar1444 isn't around anymore, which is a dam shame as there was no other game like it from what I know.
However I do have a couple of new games to report that feature crafting.

Frandum

frandom.fr  port 2001.
Website is www.Frandom.fr as you might expect Their page related to crafting is here

Oh, and the audiogames.net database entry is here
Frandom has carpentry, weaving, knitting, skinning, tanning and leather working, smithing, forging, brewing, and their working on cooking, all of which you can start off right at the beginning, indeed in Frandom since you learn by doing (although teaching is available from some npcs), you can begin crafting whenever you want, and do whatever crafts you want at any time, though of course they'll get better with practice, (just as do all the skills in Frandom).
What is unique in Frandom however, is that rather than crafting involving gathering a pre existing set of resources to turn into crafted objects, you can literally pick up anything and try to make something of it.
For example, if you walk into an inn and find a bed with a colourful woolen blanket, you can get out your knitting needles and knit it into a colourful woolen scarf.
Can't think of anything to do with that old stick you just took off a goblin? Why not try sawing it into a drinking cup.
As well as getting some experience and earning you a quest whenever you try out a new craft, one major advantage to crafting in Frandum (aside from the direct bennifits of say potions you brew or cloathes and armour you make), is making cash.
The more you craft, the better items you create and the more you can sell them for, and since as I said Frandom is one game where you can't just slay your way to solvancy, this is a major bennifit. While it doesn't have a huge player base, people tend to be very friendly, including the staff, indeed one nice thing in Frandom is that the staff will help you enough to discover quests and new crafts and such, but not do them for you, since the game is all about exploring. Frandom is probably the only mud I know that does not directly award you for killing creatures in combat (all advancement is by quests, puzzles, examining things, trying things out ,  and exploring the world), exploratory crafting goes right along with this too, indeed while Frandom does have combat and weapons and such, it's probably the least combat heavy mud I've seen and absolutely perfect if your sick of constant kill and grind fests.

Cosmic rage

Cosmicrage.nathantech.net port 7777.
Website is here and the audiogames.net page is here.

As people who've been on the forums will know, this is a fairly new science fiction mud started by NAthantech. It however has some quite considerable differences from various other space muds. These include a huge range of activities, many of which don't involve combat such as volcano harvesting or pollution recovery, and of course crafting.
There are two major types of crafting in the game, low level crafting and high level crafting.
Low level crafting involves fairly simple gather resources, do some actions to build something, and then write a description. Craftables include quilt making, sculpting, spear making, building houses, tanning and building clothes and making armour. You can also smoke meat when you hunt animals too, hunting being an activity in the game.

The only issue I have with some of these lower level crafts is that at the moment there isn't really any concrete bennifit to them besides having some pretty items to rp with, though as the game is being developed fairly rapidly it's likely this might change in the future.

There is then higher level crafting, This involves first getting to level 200, second building a factory, after which you can start acquiring resources and blueprints. These can be used to expand your factory or indeed your ship's cargo hold and make various items from ship components to extra rooms for your factory.

This style of crafting is far more involved as it uses various resources gained in the gamees' many space based activities, which range from asteroid harvesting and hauling to taking out the cores of stars, indeed most of the activities in the game involve resource collection in some way.
Even the bog standard debris salvaging which pretty much every space mud has is more important here as the salvaged items can be used in your factory to make various things which are of bdirect bennifit in the game.

I also suspect this is one area which will be expanded in the future as well, indeed it's already getting regular expantions.

3 Kingdoms/ 3 scapes

3k.org port 3000, 3scapes.org 3200.

I've only just started on this one so haven't looked things over as extensively as I might've done so far.
The games are pretty involved in a lot of areas and fairly obscure, from their guilds to their combat, however both involve a pretty extensive crafting system which includes cooking, farming, mining, chaos rangling (aka making gems out of the energy of monsters), and of course smithing.
All of these sound like quite involved crafts, indeed farming is apparently quite a puzzler.

For more info see This page on the wiki

Sorry this description is a bit lackin, as I said this is a fairly involved game and one I'm just getting into.

4dimensions

4Dimensions.org port 6000.

Okay, this one I suspect Mirage knows about since she mentioned it earlier, but as I'm just trying it myself here is what I know.
While not quite as profoundly quest orientated as Frandom, 4dimensions is very heavy on doing quests, looking at objects, finding things. As such there are several professions and occupations you can try as a crafter.
These include various ways of acquiring resources such as fruite, wood, meat, skins, gems, etc and turning them into finished items. What is unique in 4dimensions as opposed to other games, is that the crafting actually rewards you with different things like trade points, indeed judging by several updates to the game it seems that this is an aspect of things the admins are trying to promote further, (textile working, which includes crafts as diverse as sale and rope making, tailoring and weaving has just been added).

Lastly,

Alteraeon

alteraeon.com port 310.
website here and audiogames.net db page here

But why alteraeon I here you all cry. We know alteraeon, it's all about the combat and the questing, where is there any crafting?

The answer is, well firstly what do you mean by crafting?
Lots of games have item enchanting it is true, but many of alteraeon's abilities are going way beyond your usual rpg style "just cast enchant armour to get a few extra armour class on an item" type of affairs that one would expect.
These include rune crafting, various cprotective spells, staff making, and my personal favourite the by now very extensive amount of brewable items, which range from the druids salves and protective tinctures, to the rather mad alchemist style mage potion brewing, and the dastardly world of poisons.
though these are combat abilities, they do involve a lot of gathering, and indeed knowing what to gather as well as recipes and carrying ingredients.

there are then a host of options for mnaking your own weapons and armour, and while we don't have smithing yet, the ability to grab a branche and carve it into something good certainly is around for several classes.

More recently, some very basic, class free crafting options have been added. These include leather working, the chance to make armour through the skins of vanquished foes, stone tool knapping, and cooking is in the works.

yes, all of these abilities relate to combat, however when your spendiing as much of your time and attention making your staves or gathering herbs to put in potions, or poisoning your weaponry, I don't know what else to call it but! crafting.

As a final note, I did observe that star conquest has crafting, but I've not enough experience in that game to really say much about it.
Erion also has potion brewing, though in that case I don't know if the options to brew is extensive enough to count as actual crafting as opposed to just an interesting way to generate combat buffs.

Hopefully people found this update to this interesting thread a useful one, and I'll be interested myself to see what others come up with, or indeed if Mirage fancies reviving her own guide project.

2017-02-09 13:40:00

yay nice to see this topic is back up again big_smile
thumbs up dark!
anyways,  aquestion about frandom, there are puzzle right? , is the command to solve it logic enough?
I have tryed to wondering around the mud, it's  pritty awesome so far big_smile
sorry for my english.

2017-02-09 13:53:04

Hi Jason.

Glad you liked my additions to this one. Yes, the Frandom puzzles seemed pretty logical to me, most were on the basis of looking at nested objects, for example one early portion of the game has a statue, if you look at the statue you find a plaque that you can read that suggests climbing the statue, you climb the statue and get a reward.
The only slightly difficult thing I found in Frandom is knowing what was where, eg, you'd be told to look in a volcano and there wasn't an idea of where the volcano was.
On the other hand, Frandom isn't one of those games where the staff will tell you off if your stuck with a quest, just check out the Frandom topic in the new releases room for further details.

Actually I probably need to get back to frandom myself, particularly since I wanted to join the paladins guild, ---- soooo many good games, not enough time big_smile.

2017-02-09 16:57:34

Hey folks! Regarding artisans in coffeemud, the better the material you use, the more xp you get. So far the best thing for gaining xp as an artisan, at least judging by my experimentations so far, are armorsmithing and weaponsmithing.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2017-02-09 22:10:59

ah thank you for the answer dark!

2017-02-10 08:41:54

Thanks Dark for the review: we also have leather working and tanning from the skins of your foes. The website is http://www.frandum.fr (with a u and not an o... we are a DUM spawn after all). Cheers!

2017-02-10 12:21:33

Woopse, sorry about that Frandom, I don't know why I keep miaking the mistake, but since I don't want people to go wonkey with the links I've edited the post.

I do hope Mirage the originator of this thread will do a full scale guide including Frandom about none combat related muds.

2017-03-08 07:30:00

Okay, here is a little more information 4d, though I admit it comes with a bit of a proviso.

The good news is yes, the mud has lots of crafting options, probably more than including farming, both mushrooms and vegitables, fruit picking, cooking, weaving, dying tanning, brewing, gem mining, gold mining, smithing, fishing, carpentry and lumber chopping smelting and a lot more besides.

What is cool about a lot of these crafts is that they involved exploring and questing, for example cooking you need to track engredients such as seeds down, even lumberjacking you need to do a quest and then look for trees, and isnce the game is huge with many areas that means lots of exploring.

The bad news is when I tried these crafts I found things buggy as hell, either that or I simply got things wrong.
For example, I tried cooking. I read in the cooking help that fresh eggs could be got from a chicken farm so I went to the farm looking for eggs, ---- and there were none! I found the nesting boxes,and even the straw on the barn floor  but not a single egg to be seen. I did wait for the area to repop and again, no eggs, I asked and nobody had much info.

I then tried skinning a cow and scraping the hide and whenever I tried to scrape the hide I was told "you need to the hide to scrape it"another player tried and once again, no dice.

I suspect there is a really great system in there, and what's more, one you can advance without a single blow of combat should you wish, but I just could never get things to work as described, ---- not that it relates to trading but this goes for being a jockey and racing too.

All in all quite disappointing, unless I'm utterly missing something of course.

2017-03-08 16:31:29

well I think I should check it out soon, currently I am still busy with empire mud big_smile

2017-03-08 18:21:43

Okay, more info.

I sent 4D an email and got a very nice and enthusiastic message back from the game's head admin, and indeed yes both egg collecting and skinning bugs fixed and now crafting seems to be going rather better.

One thing I will say for 4D is that it's important to look at everything read the descriptions of objects, for example when I created a bag of wheat through farming, the bag itself told me where to get it ground into flower.

I am well impressed at the response when bugs were reported, so I would recommend 4d, indeed they have asked me to do a db page for the game, which I will do when I've seen a little more of things.

2017-03-09 02:32:47

4D is pretty interesting

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-03-09 15:05:59

I'm a great fan of crafting. More specifically, I'm a fan of cooking. Just wanted to know is it pocible to do such in empiremud? And what do you gain
if you advance your empire? How is combat between empires played?