2017-01-28 08:30:26

Hello everyone,
I'd like to draw your browsers to this recent gem of a game I've found, Ruler of Kings. Do you want an epic story-driven RPG game like Sryth, with the possibility to add text to the game itself? Have you ever played forum Play by Post roleplay, but frustrated because players would drop out, wouldn't respond or standards were just too high for you?
In my few hours of playing this game, i've found that it makes roleplay enjoyable. The game combines a story-driven character creation system with an intigrated forum, so when you do stuff in the game, your character thread is updated with stories that you write that are approved by the DM. Even when not writing, there is quite a bit of lore within the town itself, such as NPC histories, asignments, which are like miniquests, quests themselves, which apparently are pretty long--assignments are what the normal quest is in any other RPG, etc. I myself just got done writing a story on how my character met my advisor. Kind of like King of Dragon Pass, this person you create will help you throughout the game and/or tell you that you're on track.
What happens when a person becomes a king? I'm not sure whether it'll reset, or if someone can just take the spot at any time by killing the king or otherwise getting him off the throne... not sure how that works yet. I do like it thus far, though, particularly the forum intigration and it's easy learning curve.
Ruler of Kings

2017-01-28 16:16:37

Free or paid? Sounds interesting so far.

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2017-01-28 17:00:49

Before I dive into this....

Orrin....just tell me one thing.

Is it low on out of character BS and drama? Reason I ask is I spent years in another game that simply became one big mass of out of character drama and bullshit and wasn't enjoyable in the end.

So, is this better than that other game?

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2017-01-28 21:45:24

Yeah. That kind of stuff isn't tollerated here.
It is free, but there is a membership available for the community, and in the case of this game, will give you access to adult content, such as the town brothal and the ability to have a prostitute as an advisor.
They make you pay for that because it's hard to actually identify someone as an adult other than having access to money. big_smile

2017-01-28 23:43:04

Sounds like a game that's right up my alley. I'll go check it out now.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2017-01-29 07:13:20

this sounds interesting. is the rp part solo and you make up your own story, or is it with others, thus a small community?

Why didn't the Romans find algebra difficult?
because x is always 10!

2017-01-29 15:45:13

@Orrin
I was intrigued up until I read the register screen. I love the concept of playing, but...I already have a long established character and I don't know how well they'd transition to RoK really...which is a shame as I don't want to give up on about 10 years of this one character.

Which reminds me. I need to get writing for that character in question.....but I can look around, right?

Also on Linux natively

2017-01-29 18:43:43

Hello,
Theres a sertain part of the game where to earn peebles (which are needed for one of the assignments) you have to eiter write a text in old english
or to post about the game in your timeline or in a rpg group.

2017-01-29 19:16:21

....well that's me out then.

A. Actual Old English is not English at all, but High German, and that's an absolute bitch to get right.....

B. Why should I have to go outside the game and post on my timeline or other areas just to get items needed for a quest?

If what you say is true (and I'm not registered so I'm merely going by what you said KO), then that's poor from my view.

Also on Linux natively

2017-01-29 20:57:07

I recommend posting on your timeline about the game then.

2017-01-30 17:28:07

I can't post on my timeline about it.. I'm from Brasil and to the other people it won't make any sense. I agree about old english.. Its very
difficult to do. But its eiter that or post in facebook, google or youtub. I'm not sure if I'll continue to play..

2017-01-31 23:26:03

So, I gave his game a shot. And here's what I think.  One. This game is really grindy. By the time you get like 100 gold, you will be so bored of pressing the same button, doing the same job, over and over.  Two. Cruel.  So, at the start of a game, you will be asked to pick a profession.  If you pick a run one, you have a much harder time making money.  And, the game doesn't give  an advice  for new players.  Free. Forcing posting.  Each time you die, you have to  resurrect  yourself by using forum points, which can be obtained by posting on the forums.  However, they will only be  awarded if you post something constructive. four. Pure luck-based.  The amount for how long the assignment will carry-on, depends on how lucky you are. For example, it could take 30 minutes,  or it could  take 30 seconds.  Honestly, all I  like about this game are quests. They remind me of dungeons and dragons.

2017-02-01 02:22:18

I've tried the game out. Here's what I think.
1. It shouldn't be to hard for someone to write constructively. I've written several posts along my character's journey and I'm loving it.
2. Yes, it is a bit grindy. But it is also fairly realistic. Needing to eat, sleep, have a place to stay are all essentials.
3. I do have a complaint with their leveling system, though. Starting on level 0 is just unnecessary.
4. Yes, assignments can be luck-based. I had an assignment to make a piece of art and take it to the tavern owner. I had no information on how to improve my art, and I was made fun of in front of the tavern's patrons. It said my reputation was effected, but it didn't say how.
5. I hate the sleep system! Yes, they have good reasons for implementing it, but it's just annoying. Charges are mentioned on the sleep page, but it's not mentioned how to get them. Maybe I need to look over the player's handbook.
In short, this is a wonderful game so far.

Role-play? Simulation? Strategy? Throw it at me! I'm all ears for the games!

2017-02-01 04:49:11

Post 13. It's not hard to write, but about what? You're leader stat can go down when you're made fun of. Another thing. Posting on the forums just to revive yourself? Nope. use speed charges to boot your turns. Keep in mind that you can refill the charges at a cost of 17 GPs.  So potentialy, you could stay awake for ever. They could have done so much with you're death but no. Same old stile. Pay us or do it the long way. I was considering to donate till I died the first time. Post 13, how high are you? It's at level 3 when things start to heat up. Also I only found only 2 quests in the town. What's up with that? Where are  thieves, drunks, random  snatches of conversation as you walk to some places, beggers, tavern brawls, tavern games, hand wrestling, hell, I could go on and on with the list for a while, but my point is that even if I revive myself, I would die again because I couldn't find  where are those potions that I equipped  and why aren't they showing up on my list, etc.

2017-02-01 13:40:08 (edited by JaceK 2017-02-01 14:24:11)

EDIT: Okay, I'm on the fence about trying it....I spent six years playing another game that was essentially the same and full of out of character drama and crap, but the thing is it was all away from the game and in messages, so none of it showed up on the forums. Officially, it wasn't tolerated but there was jack shit the staff on the old game could do.

So....you can sorta understand why I'm wary about this new game.....

Then again I may well try it. Would anyone want to help me out with this  game?

EDIT 2: I'm liking the background I'm making.

Look for Carrick. That's my character.

@Orrin, LadyJuliette and company. Any of you fine folks mind if I hit you guys and girls up on Skype to talk bout RoK II?

Also on Linux natively

2017-02-01 14:45:36 (edited by Orin 2017-02-01 14:47:55)

Nice. A post by me inspired the developer to add some new player job help.
To the post who hates the game mechanics... keep in mind it's a play by post RPG. I think the intent is to help people to get into PBP RPGs on forums.
About Skype: I'm not sure. Would any of you others agree to it?
Edit: Random events were just implemented less than a day and a half ago, so whoever mentioned thieves, barroom brawls etc... random events were implemented, with the ability for us to add to them, so let's see what happens.

2017-02-01 14:50:48 (edited by JaceK 2017-02-01 17:02:43)

Actually I like the mechanics honestly, it reminds of a better, easier to get into PBBG and I love the concept.

So....yeah. I made Carrick the merceanry. I just am kicking myself I didn't make the character I wanted because the page didn't load fully and I got something about a a bow and no race options despite it saying about races.

I made a mercenary though....so yeah I'm Carrrick on there...just the ordinary noobdy mercenary that wants to be king.

EDIT: Sweet, got 60 gold off my advisor for just writing out the first meeting.....shenanigans ahoy!

Also I got a random event to try out some hers and got a healthy outcome. Score!

I'm just not entirely sure what I want Carrick to do first. I want a blade to protect myself. But I also want a horse, and I also want to learn magic...oh the choices......too many.

So. Can I play this on a phone or a tablet?

Also on Linux natively

2017-02-01 17:36:31

Post 16. I don't mind writing on the forums, at my own time. Also, I wrote my story from a third person. Can I write from my chars point of view?

2017-02-01 17:40:57

I wrote mine entirely from the third person and have no issues here...I think if anything I may have accidentally set off a relationship between my character and his advisor...-.-

That's not where that meeting was originally going....also I love how I got 60 gold from my advisor too....so 101 GP here yep...I'm still level 0 though which bugs me....and 13 XP for the win....

Now just wwaiting for my turns to refresh so I can get back to playing.

Also far as the writing in 3rd POV I prefer it honestly, most* of the best selling books are third person.

Also on Linux natively

2017-02-01 17:53:12

I wrote my advisors story in first person.

2017-02-01 19:32:19 (edited by JaceK 2017-02-01 20:31:39)

EDIT: Okay....figured out where to get food and an abode.

So.....

Do I have to post my character's adventures on his own thread in the character thread? I'm more than willing to sit down and do that.

I....kinda....sorta messed up. I wanted the $55/year donation and the $22 for the 2,000 gold.

Ended up getting two of each >.>

Apparently...but looking at my my reciept only one of each was sent so I think I read the paypal window wrong.

Also, holy hell this game is oddly addicting....

Also on Linux natively

2017-02-01 22:48:00

It was addicting to me as well, but fps screwed it up.  I need 61 points, and I only have 15.55.  So yeah.

2017-02-01 22:49:29

Also, why did you donate?

2017-02-02 00:03:09

Sure. I'd be willing to skype. I don't do voice calls, though, my family's a bit nosy at times. Give me your skype name, please, and I'll send you a request. For the person waiting for turns to refresh, you can use your awake charges to cut your sleep time. Use them while you're asleep, or you won't benefit. I have a hundred and so turns due to a few speed charges, but if I don't find anything interesting to do I'll put my character to sleep. I equate the speed charges to a medieval energy spell or something. I just made it to level 1 today. And sure, Carrrick, I'll read your story. My character's Juliette, you might have been able to guess, Juliette the princess. There's no way to update your character thread outside of the game, but you can ask for a solo thread in your introduction and one of the admins will do it for you. I plan to do that, I love writing!

Role-play? Simulation? Strategy? Throw it at me! I'm all ears for the games!

2017-02-02 00:20:25 (edited by JaceK 2017-02-02 00:23:09)

I donated because...well....I wanted a harlot as my advisor and to see what the brothel had to offer. Seriously. That's my reason, I am sticking to it

@LadyJuliette: Take my forum username and turn it into a yahoo email, you got my skype. I'm so so bout voice calls too yanno....I just am meh about it and lack a good headset...so....I type awaayyyE
Edit: I got 5k FP....now what to do with them? Also I'm regretting my decision to buy a bow instead of a sword......but eh.....I like bows better than swords. Now I have to justify Carrick being all fawk da sharp pointy stuff. This is gonna get really interesting really soon...

Also on Linux natively