2016-08-06 16:05:09

Hello all,

I've recently sparked an interest in utilizing Linux.  I started with a Linode server running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and am hosting a TeamTalk server.

I'd like to branch out and host my website on my server, as well as try and host my RTR server.

Unfortunately, I'm not knowledgeable in the slightest about how Linux works, how this particular distro might compare in difference to others (if that matters), and using command line successfully with putty.

I'm aware at this point that Apache and Wine are two programs I need to perform both these tasks, but as I said, I'm not knowledgeable in unix systems to fully comprehend what I'm doing other than copying and pasting commands I read from help articles and other documentation to make things happen.

So, to actually ask my questions...:

Where can I go to learn about Linux and how it works?
Can anybody recommend resources I can refer to in order to successfully use Apache and Wine to host my website and my RTR server?

Thanks as always!

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2016-08-06 16:55:17

Hello, you mensioned copying and pasting commands. What commands have you tried? Did you get to install the packages and start the apache service? If you're interested in learning linux, most commands come with built-in documentation called "man" pages. To access these, at a shell prompt, type:
man ls
to get the whole scoop on the ls command, that will list files and directories in the current working directory. A good resource that helped me quite in the linux universe is the arch wiki
https://wiki.archlinux.org
which contains a wealth of information on specific programs, such as httpd, apache, mariadb, a mysql implementation, php, server-side scripting for apache and other out-facing services, icecast, an audio streaming server, mpd, the music player daemon, which can be used to feed icecast with local files, openvpn, which can create a secure, encrypted tunnel between two or more machines, systemd, which is used to control services, view logs, etc, and other command line tools. Although the information on this wiki is arch specific, most of these tools are included in other distros such as ubuntu, fedora, etc. Much like dbms, the commands are usually the same, it is just a matter of knowing the distro/installation specific querks, such as possibly different configuration file paths.

2016-08-06 21:31:03

Hi hacker,

It depends on which article I referred to.  Setting up the TeamTalk server was done all by the BlindGeekZone podcast.  The Apache and Wine setups came from different sources.  The Apache came from Linode's library, and Wine I couldn't find anything that made enough sense for me to try.

Thanks for the info.  I'll keep looking.

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2016-08-18 19:50:25

Being a linux user myself, I'd recommend more than anything google. Besides for that, learn the basic stuff. This includes cp, ls, for operating systems that support it apt-get, chmod, chown, service or as of ubuntu 16 systemctl, rm, passwd, user management including user del adduser, etc. If you have any questions, you can also feel free to get in contact with me using any of the methods below.

2016-08-25 03:45:19

hi karter i want to lern linux   so how do i start

2016-08-25 04:58:24

You would need to provide more information on specifically what you're wishing to do. Generally though, I'd start with some of the online tutorials and wikis.

2016-08-25 05:15:38

hi all. What i do find is that most opperating systems i have problems with for i have mack osx and voice over isn't working verry well. It'll only go about certain things and i find it hard to no what i'm doing.

2016-08-28 20:32:24

What you need to do is read, read, read. A company called Digital Ocean hosts Tutorials and guides for use with their service that offers VPS', they'll may need to be modified slightly for linode, but they should get you in the ballpark.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2017-12-07 09:35:11

I'm with you, @post number 1. I was skeptical about using Linux until a guy named KevinRoberts, who is on this forum, actually walked me through the process of installing a LAMP stack, TeamTalk, Icecast, Wine, and a few other odds and ends. I am using a VPS dot net Ubuntu 1.04 LTX Xenial Xerus as well.
Maybe you  and I can learn from each other.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-12-09 12:03:41

Bash script is also a good thing to know, I think if you use terminal on linux and Mac