2016-06-24 20:42:51

ok, so I have finally played a few human players which makes the game much more fun. a suggestion to beginners, don't concentrate so much on capturing your opponents elephant. as key stated your main objective is to make it to your opponents den. in my opinion your 2important pieces are the lion and tiger. those are the two I use the most. I barely touch the other ones

couple suggestions for the game. can you make a key to repeat the last move your opponent made on the board. I have gotten distracted for a brief second and have often missed what move my opponent has made. as firefly stated a key to show who turn it is would be helpful, because again you can get distracted. if there is a way we can have profiles we can log into, that keeps tracks of our wins, losses, and forfids. maybe even a reward system would be cool to where we receive points, titles, medals, or trophys, for how fast we defeat someone, how many pieces we capture in a game, different things like that. and lastly of course, a button to toggle on and off sound effects and music would make the game more exciting

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2016-06-24 22:26:48

The only thing I'd currently like to see is a keystroke that says the last move either myself or my opponent have made.  If you miss it, you then have to scoure the board to figure that info out.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-06-24 23:56:08

yes Nocturnus I have this same complaint. and congrats to the person that beat me lol no way I should have loss that game, some how I let your lion just creep over to my side of territory, but nevertheless good win to username I think it was "me"

2016-06-25 02:27:47

Philip,
I thought of an easy variation on this game.
No it isn't Whales and sharks to Shrimp.
It is using a normal deck of cards to represent 13 objects, on a card table, in which the King can capture all but the Ace.
You could still have a lake but call it the onion dip on the table.
The Ace could sit in the dip as it has an extra thick coat of plastic, and the Jack and Queen can jump over the snack bowl.
The table might have to be larger to hold 26 cards.
Instead of a den, you could call it your hand which is surrounded by three traps, or ash trays.

2016-06-25 02:38:42

@smoothgunner - It was a fun round. The "me" user was, well, me. Grins. You were good!

@Everyone - Thanks for all the feedback. The next minor update will have a whole bunch of new keystrokes, including one to hear the name of your oppponent and another to hear the latest move. I'll also see what I can do with the sounds. Keep it coming!

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2016-06-25 11:37:56

This is pretty fun. I was worried that I would struggle to remember the positions of the different pieces, but since they can only move one square at a time it isn't really a problem like it is in chess. I would also prefer screen reader or  sapi output though. Having someone's name spelled out on the online mode reminds me of the days when SoundRTS still used recorded voice files.

2016-06-25 13:27:56

Ocean.
A variation on the Jungle game.
Whales to crabs.
representing 8 underwater creatures, in an ocean.
The Whale can capture all but the crab.
You could still have lakes but call them sand bars.
The crab could sit in the sand bar as it is the only creature that can
crawl on land.
the Whale  and Dolphin can jump over the sand bar.
Instead of a den, you could call it your cave which is surrounded by
three nets.
8 Sizes:
1. Whale,
2. Dolphin,
3. Shark,
4. Tuna,
5. piranha,
6. Flounder
7.  Goldfish
8. Crab.

2016-06-25 19:20:43

Aww, I finally had time to give this game a try, and there is no one online in the lobby.  sad  I'll have to try back again later.
Nice work Philip!

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2016-06-25 22:58:13

Got to play 2 games online, and I'm in the middle of a 3rd.  I think I finally understand the different rules of the game, which I kept forgetting during the first few matches.  During my first game I set up a strategy thinking the rat could attack from the water, then sealed my fate when I messed up again when I forgot the Wolf is actually weaker than the Dog.  I assumed it would be the other way around.

My second game was against Smoothgunner, and he kept me on my toes!  I messed up when I learned the elephant cannot kill a rat.  I thought it could kill, Or be killed, by the rat in a similar manner to 2 identical animals facing off.  Whoops, and that messed up my plans quick.

Now in my 3rd game, also against Smoothgunner, I feel like I've got my feet finally on solid ground.  I have to say though, Smoothgunner seems Very good at this game!  We've been battling back and forth for a long time now, and I'm not sure who is going to win.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-06-25 23:03:14

Elephant and Dog verses Elephant and Dog!  Smoothgunner is putting up a heck of a fight right outside of his den!  big_smile  ROFL!

Added:  Good game Smooth!  I'd have stuck around to play a tie breaker but I'm out of time.  Definitely going to look for you in the future.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-06-25 23:09:16

aprone good win on game2. very intense. you came back with a vengence

2016-06-25 23:11:53

yes in deed. you are the best player I have faced thus far. o and the creator as well lol. the lion and tiger always catches me off guard when they jump the water from the side. I forget to look over there

2016-06-25 23:11:58

Keep us posted, if you can.  I's watching this topic, in the event that I should, er, happen to drop into the lobby at some point.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2016-06-25 23:12:43

Um, yeah, sorry for not refreshing the page a little sooner.  lol

2016-06-25 23:19:06

Smooth and I were locked up pretty tight, where either of us would lose multiple guys if a single mistake was made.  I managed to break his formation because I had an extra Cat down at my den.  In the end, when we were totally locked up, I knew I'd win by just moving that Cat and forcing him to make a move, when any move was going to mess him up.  I'll call that my distracting Meow strategy, hehehe.

I'm also in support of some kind of review keys.  A few times, especially when I stopped to type here, I missed a move and had to cycle through all the animals to find out what had changed.

Smooth I am also very pleased that you play the game quickly as well as good.  My first opponent was taking up to 2 minutes for each turn and it sort of drags on that way.  You were making moves pretty much at my speed, so the game never got dull.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2016-06-25 23:46:42

Won two out of three.  Not bad, if I do say so myself.  This could easily be my next r&r passtime activity.  I even sacrificed a lion for the fun of it, to an elephant who trampled it beyond recognition.  Ah, the beauty of strategy!

2016-06-26 00:54:24

hey guys, i played jungle and it's fun in it's own way, someone said music would be fun? yup, it surely will. also this been said before, but i'd like to turn speech off and use my nvda to read stuff. nothing against human voices in the menue, it's just soso so so slow. sounds for animals would be nice too, like you'll here lion grown and after that it will move and you'll be told where it moved etc. maybe you can use [ and ] to move between messages? those would include online chat, if any will be added, or your enemys moves. sorry for my english

2016-06-26 02:03:05

yes the game was at a smooth pace which kept it fun. only time I really had to sit back and think was when I had your tiger and mouse cornered, which took me forever to make a decision on which one of my pieces was going to get sacrificed. when I heard you move that cat from out your den I yelled at the computer, in defeat lol I knew the game was officially over after that

2016-06-26 09:48:53

Hi!
Congrats to Smoothgunner for a very good game. I was Endarion.
When I moved my elephant away I completely forgot about your lion. And a lion is something one should never forget about.
Keep on rocking.

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2016-06-26 10:56:01

haha yes both of them were good games.....in the first, the lion sneaking to your side won it for me, and in the second my concentration was killer and I was focused so no beating me when I'm in that type of a zone. ill be on tomorrow, ill give ya rematch, you are a good player

2016-06-26 10:58:31

players that come on and see me on, don't think I am ignoring you if I don't respond to your request, a lot of times I am away from the computer or busy, but I constantly try to stay connected to the server, so people can have someone to play when they come on. unfortunately I can't answer all requests, just be patient and come back and 10/20 minutes if you see me online and I don't respond

2016-06-26 21:08:40

idk who I was just playing but very good game.....I sacrificed my elephant to throw you off so I could sneak my lion in your territory, which was successful. but I was moving to fast and cocky, so I shifted my game plan to win to the right side near your lion when I should have just kept it on the left. I had that game won. but good win who ever you was lol

2016-06-26 22:11:13

Hi! That was me again.
Great game indeed. I had a lot of fun tracking down that lion of yours.
Looking forward to our next encounter! I like your style.

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2016-06-27 21:58:00 (edited by EternalGamer 2016-06-27 21:59:58)

Smoothgunner you never fail to keep me on the edge of my seat. There were more than a couple moments when I thought you had me and I was already thinking about how to give you a memorable endgame.
Here's to the great battles of the mind!
By the way I'm a pacifist so no way I'd have harmed your doggie once it got away from the trap.

2016-06-27 23:04:53

Hi, Philip! The game sounds great! One quick question though. Could you create a portable version of the game? I don't have admin rights, so I can't install the game, but strategy games have been on of my interests, even though my spacial awareness isn't where it should be, lol. And yeah, I think sound would be great.

Role-play? Simulation? Strategy? Throw it at me! I'm all ears for the games!