2015-11-18 11:52:28

@mirage, ranger isn't a hard and fast choice, just something that looked as if it might appeal to me sinse I enjoy the wandering and exploring and keeping the wilderness safe.

In other games I'm often a paladin player, so  I'm also interested in what some of the priests and healers do, and heck I do enjoy combat as long as it's against the forces of darkness rather than trying to one up other players or fight other factions, is one reason I paid for the newbie time so I had a chance to investigate things slowly rather than be rushed into a decision.

I'm not sure on citties at the moment, I was born in silverfalls but haven't specifically looked into the differences between the citties or what being part of a city means specifically yet, again, one reason I want to take things at a relaxed pace.

One thing I confess which is getting a little on my whick is wandering around and not finding much by way of animals, herbs or poisons, and not really knowing where to look other than when I'm directed by other players.
Apparently there is currently some sort of war going on between the sorcerer's guild and the forests which is affecting growth of plants and possibly animals too, which I confess is a little annoying, particularly because sinse the abilities for the school courses are temporary and sinse I don't know exactly what I'll be doing in the end I don't want to spend any of my lessons on improving my forestry skills, even though some perception or similar might be helpful in tracking things down, particularly sinse as I suspect I'll not be getting any extra awards in school for speed of completion, I want to do the courses Thoroughly if I can.

Btw, while the game is very accessible, I'd love to see an accessible version of the map which showed the names of rooms around you. While I don't have a problem remembering where I've been due to the very unique room names and detailled descriptions, (these particular twisty little passages don't! look the same), I  do sometimes forget which room connects to where.
A command like the scan in Empire mud which let you see what rooms were in a given direction, or indeed just a text version of the ascii map command would be really great.

Unfortunately, the support people haven't got back to me about the meetplace forum account, I might have to ask in game, though I'll send one more e-mail just in case my first didn't get there for some reason, sinse I'd really like to get on the forum before I've finished in school and need to choose a character class.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-11-18 17:31:34

@dark how do you get newly time? just starting out and liking what i hear so far. is mud rammer still good for iPhone usage/

2015-11-18 17:45:56

What do you mean by "newly time" exactly?

when you start you get ten hours fre playing without either having to find someone to sponsor you or pay a subscription, you just get that when you create an account by default.

Because of this hole war thing they allowed newbies access to a location with lots of herbs and poisons and things, so I was able to finish my hunter course, hurrah!
I don't know which of the other three I'll try next, maybe the milicia one so I can have a go at combat.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-11-18 18:03:24

The militia course seems to be very pk oriented and is dependent upon whether or not there are people currently taking the messenger course.  If there aren't any taking that, you can't take the militia one, so there went my hopes of graduating with all four courses.  Ahh well. 

It looks like it involves PKing the messenger course people, which isn't something that necessarily appeals to me. 

I find that I am annoyingly shy about reaching out to other players, which is so dumb and irksome.  But hopefully soon. I am a social butterfly.  Not certain that Parrius is going to be the right city for me, but we shall see. Overall, I wish I had more time to devote to this and take it in one big bite.  Speaking of bites, are there crafts like cooking? Tailoring?  Those are things that also appeal to me. 

I wish I could get a good idea of what I really want out of a guild so that I could just choose one already.

I did not end up seeking sponsorship, mainly because I didn't see Mirage's post until the next day, and I went ahead and paid for some newbie time.  I hope that won't hinder me, and hope I can make some connections with people soon.

Mirage, I love how in to this you are and your enthusiasm, so keep those posts coming, particularly about your progress. Are you guild leader yet?  *grin*

2015-11-18 19:49:45

i just started playing avalon but i note when using vip mud and set it to no speech to work with NVDA why do i have to keep pressing enter about twenty times after each prompt for the next part of my conversation with the initial mage to come up?

2015-11-18 20:07:40

@Avid gamer, I think the conversation is slower, either that or it's a nvda issue sinse I don't think Vipmud directly outputs to nvda yet, indeed I'd recommend sapi use for Vipmud myself.
@Mektastic, I had the same problem with the militia. I thought there would be someone computer controled to fight, but it seems not, and sinse there were no spies to fight I had to give it a miss, but I'm not a pk fan either.

Now however I feel a little stuck sinse I'm not sure how to choose a guild or city or whatever. There seems to be a selection command which lets you try several professions out, however I am not exactly sure whether it just drops you the skills or whether you also get a mission or something to do to try your skills out on with the selections.

Likewise, I'm not really sure on cities. MErcinae seems lawful good, parrius a little relaxed and chaotic, Thakria is the more aggressive city and I'm not really sure on Silverfalls given that is where I am now, it'll probably depend upon what profession I end up doing, though again I'm still not certain on that.

2015-11-19 00:58:42

@Mektastic
There are tons of crafting and cooking abilities.  When you finish school, you’ll notice that you suddenly have the skills of farming and labours.  These will go up automatically, without the need to use lessons on them.  Eventually, in a couple of RL weeks, you’ll see that you have the cooking and crafting abilities in labours.  Right now, just at the respected level, I can craft 169 different kinds of things, from clothes, to furniture, to tools, to small useful things, even animals.  There’s not as much in cooking, but I’m lobbying for more vegetables in farming, so we can be more creative with what we cook.

LOL, I’m not a guild leader yet, but it isn’t for lack of enthusiasm.  Eventually, I may even write for this game, descriptions and such.

I understand the hesitancy to contact players, but this really is a super friendly group.  If you’re shy about contacting people one on one, use the novice channel to ask questions or make comments in ageneral way, and somebody will always respond.  By the way, I’m Kennis in the game.  If you, or anyone for that matter, needs help, don’t hesitate to send me a tell if you see me on.

2015-11-19 10:55:09

@Mirage, any thoughts on the selections command? Does it give you a mission to do or just a bunch of skills, sinse I don't want to say select knight and then waste my two hours of knight tryout running about looking for someone to fight.

I still am not sure what guild or profession even city would suit me, indeed there seems to be a problem with me recieving replies from the avalon male address which means I haven't got a meetplace account yet.

Of the three courses I did, spying was the one I liked least and disciple was the one I enjoyed most, hunter gatherer I probably would've liked more if I hadn't spent so much time wandering at random. However, I can't say whether I want to be a priest perminantly, especially sinse I've not tried either combat or crafting or even any of the extra ranger abilities, heck, other than pvp against other players or factions I'm pretty much open to trying most things.

Actually I'll say this is why I tend to prefer games that just let you try out different activities over ones that make you choose a perminant character class, sinse I tend to enjoy variety.

2015-11-19 16:41:56

Selection is something I don't know much about, because I knew what I wanted to be before I even entered the game.  I did try it, but it told me I had 2 hours to try the profession and then I never saw what to do next.  If I were you, I'd ask on the novice channel.  Just ask how you go forward with trying out a selection.  I would be curious to know, so if you find out anything, please post here.

Since I'm animist, I don't fight, so I know next to nothing about combat.  But you're supposed to be able to go to an amphitheater and train combat with an NPC tutor.

2015-11-20 16:43:46

Well it seems selection does as you said, just drops you the skills and expects you to follow on from there.
I've been having some chats to some players about professions, and it seems avalon is a little different in terms of pvp than most games, or rather you start off with a city that suits you or none and then see where things go, sinse you do do things like influencing npcs and what not, and apparently all professions can! fight or get involved in combat= if they wish, 's morea case of wheher hey want or not.

So, I now really don't know which to choose.

I've narrowed things down to either ranger, seer, druid or bard, and I've narrowed my city choice to either silver falls or mercinae. Parrius I did consider, but it seems the people of parius are a little more contentious about individuality than silverfalls.

Seer I like the idea of all the blessing and spirit calling, but not so much the voodoo, likewise druid I like the idea of the wilderness and magic, but would miss being able to deal with monsters.

I'll probably go and find an npc trainer and see what happens when I try out some combat and then make a decision where to try apprentice.

Edit: okay, this is silly.
Someone has created me an account on the meetplace forum, but I can't  find where to login.  There is some text at the top that says "sign in" but it's just text, no link or hot spot, the only link is to "sing up"

I have to say this! aspect of Avalon is mildly irritating, can't they just use a more friendly forum system?

2015-11-20 21:43:11

If you still want to fight monsters, you might really like ranger, because they fight goblins and such.  Druids don't do much fighting unless they're attacked.

Forum login was tricky, but try looking for "profile" or "dashboard."  I honestly can't remember where I found it, because once you log in, you stay that way unless you choose to log out.

2015-11-21 16:51:09 (edited by mektastic 2015-11-21 16:53:47)

I am really struggling with my avalonian life right now, and while it doesn't mean I plan to quit, I admit that I'm feeling some discouragement.  But, you guys will be so proud of me--I'm actually starting to talk to people!

so, here is what happened.  I gained quite a bit of gold from the disciple course and was feeling pretty proud of myself.  I had a little trouble mechanically with the messenger course but that all worked out nicely.

Then I received a chest with a lot of start-up items from the city which I greatly appreciated.   I realized at that point that every single gold piece I had gained from the course  was missing.  But no problem, I'd just use the gold that was in the chest.

There was also a backpack in said chest, so I took it out to wear it.  I finished the messenger course and went to the hunter gatherer course. 

For some reason, swing under forestry wasn't working even though it looked like it was supposed to, and I'd get a message saying that it wasn't in the lexicon. 

Then I glanced at my inventory and every stitch of equipment I had just disappeared, including the brand new chest with all of its shinies, the backpack, the gold that was in the chest that I'd put in the backpack...all of it.  I talked with another player about it and he sent a tell to the main creator. 

At this point, though, I have no gold, no equipment, and graduated from the school. I thought it said something about getting a reward if you do so, but I have not noticed that. 

This is not a whine.  Just some frustration, and at the moment I am truly feeling stuck and discouraged.

On a more positive note, a friend on twitter assisted me with both getting a meetplace account going and finding a rather kickass avatar as well.  I clicked on the link to verify the account, but after the captia, and the verification, the account is *still* pending approval?  *shrug*  Well, hopefully soon, I guess.

2015-11-21 22:39:53

Normally, you don't get your chest with all the things until after you finish school.  That may be why it disappeared.  Your equipment always disappears after the school course is finished, because you just get temporary equipment in order to complete that specific course.  Think of the courses as a glimpse into the future of your Avalonian life if you will.
But as for your gold, I would send one of the gods a tell about that.  If you type WHO, the first players listed will be gods, and Genesis is the main creator.  They can help you, or direct you to a person who can be of assistance.
Gold is hard to come by, until you meet players who wil show you simple quests.  But you can type chelp goldquests, and it will tell you some simple ones to complete for gold.  Also, a lot of times, veteran players will be very generous to new players.  One guy pretty much bought me a starting outfit and equipment.
So I know it's frustrating, but don't get too discouraged.
And YAY, for talking to people!

2015-11-21 23:29:45

@mirage,

I was just annoyed so stepped away for a little bit.  I'll have some time to log back on today and we'll see what happens from there.

I'm not sure of why I received the chest early, and I'll chat with one of the gods today when  I log on.

Hopefully I'll actually get a chance to see you on the game sometime, fellow citizen!  big_smile

2015-11-22 14:27:37

Hmmm, I've not seen one of these chests.

Things for me were interesting, after agonizing I decided to give bard a try sinse I rather liked the ethos and idea behind it, but am a little unsure at this point sinse basically my guild just told me to constantly use my lessons to learn, which I did for a ridiculously llong time, but when I asked about other stuff I couldn't get a guild quest or anything else.

I'm now wondering if I made the right choice, sinse all the bards have told me is "you need these abilities go practice them" without saying entirely what they're for. They have said bards aren't all combat and pvp sinse I made it clear pvp wasn't a focus of mine, but I'm still uncertain of exactly what they do! do.
It's a bit bad they've been great about the teaching, but I'm a little frustrated sinse I'm now thinking "hay what's the point of learning skills when I don't know what to do with them in the game?"

I'll try again today but if I can't get a streighter answer on activities maybe I'll change to druid or ranger anyway, sinse at least I know both of those professions can pick herbs and hunt and do wilderness type stuff so I'll always have some activities to keep me busy.

2015-11-23 11:54:33

Well, I've not figured out really what I want to do. I'm trying out Mage, and that seems good, but I don't know. I may try knight, but I don't want to be all about fighting, either. I'm not a military man, really. Well, not that I know of, anyways. Shoot, I might be good at it, I'm not sure. Bard seemed too vague, and relied too much on stuff that I have to have, EQ and such. If I am to be something, I don't really want to rely on having something to perform my skills. Also, I'm running into the whole client problem. I tried Umbra, but no automatic reading of incoming text or anything. So I may just have to use Telnet. Come on blind developers, do something worthwhile for a change on the Mac and make something we don't have yet, ugh.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2015-11-24 22:10:15

@Dark
I noticed you like the descriptions of Avalon.
If you haven't already, check out the Chetwood Forest.  It has some of the most vivid imagery yet, it's just beautiful!

2015-11-25 17:05:46

A bit off topic guys, anyone knows how to make jaws stop repeating previous lines? Sometimes it just doesn't follow the mud like it should have. it couldn't keep up with text out put for some reason

Why do ghost hunters have to hunt ghosts? Well, there's a fear of being ghosted out there. They may need therapy as well as their ghost hunting kit.

2016-04-28 20:11:44

Just to let people know, as a break from altereon, and because it needs a db page, and because last time I was rather destracted, I'm trying Avalon rpg again, this time from the beginning.

My Character is called Nuani, and thus far she  got on far better with the novice experience, I've already finished both the  academy and the school, and am choosing a profession now. This time I plan to take my time about choosing, and maybe try selections of several professios, sinse really i don't have much idea of what some professions do, and hay it just means gaining more lessons.

So if anyone is on and playing, feel free to give me a yell.

Oh and yes, I'm playing a female character, but hay thelok on Alter is a guy and I like to be fairly equal with these things.

2016-05-01 05:33:45

well i joined yesterday, and just became a ranger. Rather excited, bloody diciple course was confusing for quite a while. the Messenger course was probably my second favorite, and the hunter course my first. The people are helpful, but i do find npcs fighting to be hard to stumble upon. And i do not know if i did something wrong, but thus far, i installed the sound pack for this game but have heard no sounds yet, is there a reason perhaps? For now, i find this game to be nice and a good descriptive world.

Why didn't the Romans find algebra difficult?
because x is always 10!

2016-05-01 08:26:37

I need to get back on this one.
I loved it, but I took a break when I learned about the loss of my best friend, and just haven't gone back as yet.

2016-05-01 12:27:03

@Mirage,some advice would be appreciated. last time I ran into bard before I really knew what I was about, this time I want to take time in choosing but it's a little difficult with so little experience of in game activities or what you actually do, particularly sinse as I gather most activities in the game are a matter of choice rather than profession, eg, everyone can! fight and do quests, but mages use magic to do them, knights hit things etc, and apparently you learn more about these through doing guild badges.

I have had a think and I think everything in the game works so differently to most other muds I've tried I really can't make any preconceptions. Eg, I don't usually! like pvp, but some of the conqeust and legion battle stuff sounds interesting to try at least, so I think I'll be better just trying things while doing guild badges, but that still leaves me with the problem of selecting a profession, something I really don't know about sinse the help is so none specific.

I did try the selectioncommand and gave mage a go, and with the help of a couple of other kind players saw a bit how things work. I don't think mage is for me sinse the mana and magic use seemed rather fidly, particularly sinse unlike in most games you had to meditate to regain mana and could do nothing else, even use chat channels while meditating which could be frustrating.

But now I have a problem, sinse I'd like to try out Knight, but apparently it'd be a bit pointless without a sword to fight with, but I can't get a sword because they're expensive, and I don't know if I'd do knight perminantly, as to some other professions like seer, thief and druid god knows.

apparently switching professions is possible so I might just say "bugger it" and try loremaster which seems something of a jack of all trades, and then maybe switch around later on.

I confess this quandry is proving a bit problematic, so yesterday I just said "never mind" and played altereon for a bit which is far more streight forward.

Btw, this is why I prefer games that leave you character options open for the future and just let you try things than ones where you say "I must! be this class forever more amen" sinse god knows what your spposed to choose when you have no idea of the game.

So, any professions advice appreciated big_smile.

2016-05-02 08:46:31

Loremaster is good, because if I'm remembering it correctly, it leaves you open to make a LOT of money later on. That was my second choice, behind druid. You can fly as a loremaster too. I think loremasters can enchant weapons and things, but you might want to doublecheck that, because I may be mixing it up with another profession.
I would say, go druid, if you don't want to fight a lot.
But if you are interested in combat, go for either loremaster or ranger.
When I was on, rangers were very helpful. If you tried that one, someone would surely help you get a weapon if you didn't have the money for it, although I'm thinking rangers might be able to make their own weapons.

2016-05-02 20:51:26

One thing I realized is that avalon does so much differently to other games, I actually don't know if my dislike of pvp would be the same in avalon or not, that is why I wanted to try all the professions out first and see what I fancied.

One of the major drawbacks with the novice school is that you can't actually try any! combat unless someone else is doing the messenger course at the same time your in the mud school, so I have no idea whether I'd enjoy combat or not. Heck, Other than obvious stuff like gathering herbs and using zoom commands I'm not really sure how the novice courses reflect avalon as a hole at all or what I'd actually spend my time in the game doing.

2016-05-04 05:48:10

So, I'm getting into this again, and I must say, this is probably my favorite mud now. I just became an alchemist and have 4 badges so far.

Take care, it's a desert out there.