2015-10-30 10:28:32 (edited by Mirage 2015-10-30 19:49:26)

I started playing this Mud today, and I wanted to share my initial experiences.

First, when you enter the game, be sure and type "ansi off" to turn off ansi color.  That will make gameplay much smoother.

You can also use the "blind" and "bcb" commands in conjunction with on or off, to streamline the text for your screen reader.

It reminds me a little bit of Clok, for how immersive it is.  You take a long time to build your character, learning about the world you've found yourself in, and the Mud school lets you explore skills in all the professions in which you have an interest, before you make a final decision.  It really allows you to do a lot of learning and exploring before you lock your character into anything.

I really like it.  I've been able to progress at my own pace, and no one has insisted on RP so far.  But the players are friendly and helpful.

Exploration is awesome, and the world is written beautifully!
The list of skills and abilities seems endless, and you really interact with them instead of just magically having them. "Pick herbs", "launch boat" etc.

I'm thinking of becoming a ranger or druid, so I haven't tried any combat, and can't speak about the specifics of that.  But the game environment, exploration, and crafting all seem fantastic.

Connection Info
Avalon-rpg.com
port - 23

2015-10-30 10:34:22

Hi,
What is the info to connect?

2015-10-30 11:05:53

Avalon-rpg.com
port - 23

2015-10-30 11:27:45

Thank you.

2015-10-30 12:00:36

Sorry I forgot the connection info.  I edited the top post so it will be there from now on.

2015-10-30 14:47:19

I'm interested. What's the story of the game, or theme?

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-10-30 18:58:28

My question, what're quests like?

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2015-10-30 19:01:53

From what I read, this seams to be a very nice world, where you have a lot of control over your karacter and can be whatever you desire to be. I never played muds before, but this really looks interesting. How accessible are the web clients? or would it still be better to have a client on your computer.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2015-10-30 19:46:33

I'll try to answer these questions, but I've only been on for a day, so it might be better if you go to Avalon-rpg.com and read the extensive documentation there.  The site has a guide for new players, and a very thorough game manual.

1.  The world is fantasy themed, but your character is human.  You can be a knight, a mage, a druid, any of nine professions, so how much you interact with magic is up to you.  There are cities, and religions, and you can get heavily involved in those via RP if you like.

2.  I don't know anything about the quests other than the ones I've completed in the schools.  But they're relatively straightforward.  You can use "find" and "zoom" commands to get around the world, so there's no worry over indecipherable maps.

3.  They have several web clients, and they say the one called Umbra is preferable for accessibility.  I haven't tried any of those, because I play with VipMud.  There is a "blind support" page on the site which talks more about clients.

Also, in game, you can use "blind" and "bcb" on or off, to toggle the text that appears in order to streamline things.

I hope some of this info helps potential players.

2015-10-31 04:50:59

I graduated from school in Avalon, and am now on my junior apprenticeships, where I can sample all the professions.
This mud has a very friendly player base.  I've not seen "in character" or "out of character" mentioned once.
A fun thing about Avalon is this ability to sample the professions before you choose one.  You get a set of high-level skills to play around with for an hour or two, so that you can see what life might be like in a particular profession.
Overall, I have nothing but good things to say about this particular Mud.

2015-10-31 05:36:41

@mirage, if your trying professions out how is combat? the system looked really different from most muds but I do wonder, sinse I'm not too much of a fan of muds where you have to either have your speech set stupidly high to have a chance, or reconfigure your hole interface.
I don't mind muds like Clok and Wayfare that have slower round counters so you can keep up, but the really fast ones I've tried I'm not a fan of.
Combat looked interesting in the game and while I'm not a combatt junky, and absolutely not! into any kind of pvp, I do like the idea of fighting the odd wandering monster as I go or  hunting etc.

I might well try this one myself it's been on my list to have a go at for a while.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-10-31 07:31:56

I haven't tried any combat, but I do know there are settings specific to visually impaired players.  I think there's a combat brief setting, and maybe a hyperbrief setting as well.
If you don't want to do PVP, but you still want some combat, you could go for the ranger profession.  They stay out of the wars and politics, and stick to defending the land, fighting goblins, etc.
If I try anything with combat, I'll let you know how it went.

2015-10-31 07:33:18

I've been thinking on getting into this Mud as well. How smooth is it on VipMUD?

2015-10-31 16:16:11

It's fine.  If you look at the top post, and make sure you change those settings I mention, you'll have no trouble whatsoever.

2015-10-31 22:47:17

Awesome. Should I get the full version  or am I ok with the free version of VipMUD?

2015-10-31 23:05:14

The free version is fine, but it only gives you a free trial for a month.  Then you have to buy the full version.  So if you think you're going to play a lot of Muds, or play on one a lot, VipMud would be well worth buying when the trial is over.

2015-11-01 02:53:28

All right cool thank you very much.

2015-11-01 10:06:13

hi! what about soundpacks for this mud?

2015-11-01 11:56:24

@Regarding Vipmud, actually you don't have! to buy the thing, you can still go on using it after the trial period expires.
The only restriction is that the msp mud sound protocol is disabled, so unless you setup triggers yourself you can't play sounds directly from the mud (in games like materiamagica for example), also you will be auto disconnected after an hour of play, but are quite free to reconnect again. I know this because when I bought vipmud originally, I ended up deinstalling and then later reinstalling it when I was trying the demo version out, so was playing with the restricted version of the program  for a while.

I personally did buy the program to support Gma and am glad I did sinse it's definitely my mud client of choice, however I know some people have been putoff vipmud by the paid aspect, which is why i mention this.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-11-01 13:43:27

I read somewhere that there's a soundpack for the MushZ client, but I haven't seen anything about one for VipMud.

2015-11-01 16:06:30

hi,

Actually dark, you will be disconeccted after 2 hours of play, not one with the free version.

I think i will pick up this mud again, i tried it a few months ago, but wasn't a huge fan of it. butt probably the time changed my view on this mud.

greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2015-11-01 16:24:07

I love it!  I just chose a profession and joined a guild, and it's got one of the friendliest player bases I've ever seen.  Now I've got the farm and labourer skills, so I can really start crafting and growing things, which is what I've been looking forward to.

The thing that might put some people off is that this Mud isn't one where you develop quickly and things happen immediately.  It takes time to build your character, but that play style works for me.  Just don't hesitate to ask for help; people are very friendly.

2015-11-01 18:23:13

@Pelantas, I could be wrong but I thought the way the restricted version of vipmud wworked was that it disconnected you after an hour with most muds, but gave a two hour limit with valhalla sinse  David Greenwood is a valhalla fan, I could be  entirely wrong though.

2015-11-02 01:13:52

@dark

i played various muds with the demo of vipmud, like Prometheus and i didnt watch my watch and i got warnings after two hours that the demo is near expiring.
But i have played a lot with the demo and with all muds i played or tried with it, i got the standard 120 minutes message with all.

But it would be rude wouldn't it? that only with the mud valhalla the 120 minutes are valid and not with other muds ony that david is a fan of the mud? i know i would find it a rip-off.

hopefully i am not sounding harsh, since it isn't my intention, but hopefully it makes it more clear.

@mirage

i enrolled in avalon today again and i am starting to like it more than i ever did. i finished the academy and the school and enrolled in the loremasters guild.

Thanks for brining this under my attention again. you will get +1 user carma for that.

greetz mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2015-11-02 03:17:07

Thanks.  I'm glad you like it. :-)