2015-08-24 06:37:22

This is my first game that is not of my own design.  Triple Triad is a popular minigame, first found in the Final fantasy games.  After gaining popularity, other games began adding in their own versions of triple triad.  Variations on the game have shown up in many different places, and I was asked to make an accessible version for the community.

The game is still in beta stage, and still needs some better instructions and a readme for the game.  I figured I'd post what I have so far, so that people can start to enjoy it.

Enjoy!

Triple Triad
www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/tripletriad.zip
(6.7 MB v0.5f, last updated 8/28/2015 at 6:30 PM EST)

Changes from 0.5e to 0.5f

- Removed some debugging code I accidentally left in during the last update.
- Fixed an issue with the deck configuration menu, that caused it to jump directly to the Previous menu selection.
- Fixed a bug preventing the tile slots from properly restricting the player to the correct rarity levels.

Changes from 0.5d to 0.5e

- Tile attack messages have been customized to bring a little more personality to the game.
- Several tiles still have the old default messages, but that's because after doing like 60, I wanted to kill myself rather than type the rest.  I'll do the rest later when I hate it less.  big_smile  haha!
- I've renamed the Rock to Pet rock.
- Support for a Language.txt file has been added, which means Triple triad can now be translated into other languages more easily.  You will see the characters $T in many places.  That lets the game know where to insert the name of the tile.
- samplelanguage.txt has been included with the game.  This can be translated into other languages if anyone wants to do so.  In order for the translation to work, rename the file Language.txt and keep it in the game's folder.  It will be detected and loaded automatically when the game starts.

Changes from 0.5c to 0.5d

- Pressing Z during a battle shows you the current score.

Changes from 0.5b to 0.5c

- More tiles have been added.
- Most of the game's tiles have been given sounds, usually from their original games.

Changes from 0.5 to 0.5b

- Fixed the Giion guard, who was showing up as Giio guard.  smile
- Additional tiles have been added.  I'm sure I'll add more later to help round out each rarity level.
- While playing, pressing W,A,S,D over an empty tile will tell you the attack strengths of the adjacent enemy tiles.  This might make it easier to know where to place your own tiles.  You can also use I,J,K,L to do the same thing.

Changes from 0.4c to 0.5

- Whoops!  Just fixed a bug that was causing everyone to be playing on the normal difficulty, even if you had picked an easier or harder one.
- An Instant action option has been added.  Selecting this will drop you directly into a fight against a computer opponent, where you have both been given a random set of tiles to use.  Winning these matches does not advance you through the game or award you with new tiles.
- The game's ending message has been written and added now.
- After the final move of a match, you can now press escape to view the board before moving on.
- I had to change the way the game keeps track of unlocked tiles, so anyone who had saved the game before this version will lose any tiles they had gained.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2015-08-24 08:45:28

never disappointed by your games so ill def give this a try, downloading now

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2015-08-24 09:44:35

seems like I am missing some files since I never had the previous version, which it looks like from the change log 0.4

2015-08-24 09:59:07

Hi,
The game is really nice. Keep it up! Such games are really welcome, sometimes we should have a break from shooting and  games which requires your reaction.
Games which helps you training your brain are really welcome, and a fantasy card  game like this one, well I've been waiting for an accessible one for a quite long time.
I hope you and other developers will concentrate on games like this  as well.

2015-08-24 10:29:31

nvm my last post, I got it to work by running the checkup file.....very cool game, cause use to strategize and really think, already unlocked the zombie tile.....will this game be multi player in the future?

2015-08-24 11:18:08

Hi Aprone,

It is a nice game to play. Is it that I only get one of the tiles the enemy is using after winning, or it is chosen randomly among the list of all available tiles in the game? One mor thing, I am still trying to figure out the capturing of enemy tiles with the plus rule. It is quite unsatisfied when I place the final tile, while thinking there is no hope of winning, when I triggered the plus rule and earn enough score to actually win the battle.

Anyway, thanks for the great game from you.

2015-08-24 11:34:47

Fun game, I've unlocked like 5 more tiles. It's still hard for me to calculate more than a turn into the future though.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2015-08-24 12:53:22

Hi.

I've finally! got time to try this and pawprints, which is great, however I am getting a very annoying error:
Project1
Component 'MSWINSCK.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid
OK

I do recall getting something of this error before (I believe it was with castaways), and the way to solve it was just running one of Aprone's other games but I don't remember which.

This laptop hasn't had any of aprone's games run on it thus far, so it's possible a component is missing somewhere along the line.

Edit: okay, Mister brain, he not be workin' today! That is what the "checkup" program is for.

Yes, Dark is a dumb dumb.

Well now at least I can go and play the game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-08-24 14:29:59

After a hard time, I managed to beat all 10 opponents on the easiest level. Overall, the gameplay is good.

I would like to give a suggestion. After the final tile is dropped on the board, can it be made so that the player can still navigate the game board before facing the next round? So that I can study the tiles, especially to more understand the result produced by the final move. From my observation, plus rule sometimes triggers during the final move, which I will not be able to figure out, because the game board cannot be navigated anymore.
Thanks.

2015-08-24 16:13:40

Wow, lots of replies during the night.  I pretty much posted the game and went directly to bed.

Thanks Stefan, I agree that strategic "thinking" games are a nice change away from the action shooters.

Smoothgunner, yes my hope is to have this multiplayer so that players can duel against one another.  That is a separate project in itself, which I am hoping to do as soon as I finish up a 3rd small game I've been working on this past week.

Yujin, currently you receive 1 of the enemy's tiles after you defeat it.  The one you get is random, but the odds are based on the rarity of the tile.  So for example, if the enemy has 1 rarity 1 tile and 1 rarity 2 tile, you have a higher chance of getting the rarity 1 tile when the game steals one.

Ah yes, that dreaded Plus rule.  That thing is not easy to explain, short of an actual ventrilo voice conversation, haha!  That reminds me, I do apologize for this game not having a readme.txt file, and for having really crappy instructions.  I didn't really polish this game up at all before sending it out to be played.

Now for the Plus rule.  Keep in mind that the rules for this triple triad game were not of my own design, so I can only guess that the Plus rule was put into the game so that a well placed weaker tile can capture stronger tiles.  Lets pretend that you are about to drop a tile that will have an enemy tile above it, and one to the right.  Facing up, your attack power is 2 and the attack power of that enemy is 3, so you are too weak to capture it.  On the right your attack power is 1 and the enemy's is 4, so you are too weak to capture that either.  The Plus rule looks at both of those battles (above and to the right) and adds up the attacks of each tile.  On the top the numbers were 2 and 3, which add to 5.  On the right the numbers were 1 and 4, also adding to 5.  Because both sides added up to the same number, both of those enemy tiles are captured using the Plus rule.  If there had been 3 enemy tiles within range, then the attack numbers of all 3 sides would have needed to be equal in order to win using the Plus rule.  That's of course much harder than just making it work with 2 enemy tiles.  Also yes, in theory you could have 4 enemy tiles, you could place 1 tile in the center and manage to capture all 4 with the Plus rule.

I hope that helped a little.  If anyone else understands how the rule works, maybe they have a better way to explain it.

KeyIsFull, I'm also struggling to plan ahead.  I do believe it will get easier with practice though.

Welcome to the games Dark.  I can't know for sure which game you'll like better, between this and Paw Prints, but my money would be on Paw Prints.

Yujin, well done!  I really had no idea that anyone would beat the game while I was still asleep.  The game does end with some sort of "thanks for playing" message, but my plan was to finish coding that today.  I assumed no one would ever know that I hadn't really finished the game's ending, haha.

I'll look into having the game wait after the last tile, so that you can look around.  That's a good suggestion.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-24 16:30:48 (edited by nyanchan 2015-08-24 16:34:54)

This is pretty good. Does the game support sapi rate change? I can't find the options menu or shortcuts to do that.
Btw, did you create this game within only 1 day? Wow, you are awesome.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2015-08-24 16:39:51 (edited by yujin9091 2015-08-24 16:46:01)

Aprone, I didn't noticed about the absence of the ending until you spoke of it, haha. And I think I am starting to understand the plus rule. Anyway, in order to ensure my understanding is right, I have to play some more to try it.
yukionozawa, you can change the SAPI rate by using the page up/page down key.

2015-08-24 16:44:11

Yukionozawa, page up and page down should adjust the sapi rate.  I think it was more than 1 day, but it was broken up so I'm not quite sure.  I started it on Saturday afternoon, and had it posted on here Sunday night.  Well actually it might have technically been Monday morning since it was after midnight.  I did a lot of stuff over the weekend that wasn't programming, so I don't have any way to know how many hours of coding it actually took.  It would be a cool habit if I could get myself to somehow keep track of the time I spend on projects.  Even if it was only for my own amusement, it might be neat to know.

The great thing about a game like this, is that there isn't a whole lot of work involved to build it.  I did spend some time online trying to figure out how the game is played before I made my own, but even that was less work than sitting and trying to come up with my own game that has its own rules.  By building someone elses game, it really saved me a lot of time.  I can see why many other developers like to recreate existing games as accessible versions... it skips a ton of the usual headaches.  ROFL!

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-24 17:26:54

I just posted an update.

Changes from 0.4c to 0.5

- Whoops!  Just fixed a bug that was causing everyone to be playing on the normal difficulty, even if you had picked an easier or harder one.
- An Instant action option has been added.  Selecting this will drop you directly into a fight against a computer opponent, where you have both been given a random set of tiles to use.  Winning these matches does not advance you through the game or award you with new tiles.
- The game's ending message has been written and added now.
- After the final move of a match, you can now press escape to view the board before moving on.
- I had to change the way the game keeps track of unlocked tiles, so anyone who had saved the game before this version will lose any tiles they had gained.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-24 17:37:55 (edited by nyanchan 2015-08-24 18:00:33)

Thanks for the shortcuts. I think the rules of the game is relatively easy to program, but coding an AI is a hard work even if it's not so sophisticated.
Btw, could you add following keystrokes which will make calculations for the plus rule easier?
S:speaks the left attack for the selected tile
F:Speaks the right attack for the selected tile
D and E work respectively.
Edit: I've edited the keystrokes. SFED is better than JLIK because you can press the commands using your left hand, with your right hand placed on the arrow keys.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2015-08-24 18:09:40

Yukionozawa, good idea.

New update posted.

Changes from 0.5 to 0.5b

- Fixed the Giion guard, who was showing up as Giio guard.  smile
- Additional tiles have been added.  I'm sure I'll add more later to help round out each rarity level.
- While playing, pressing W,A,S,D over an empty tile will tell you the attack strengths of the adjacent enemy tiles.  This might make it easier to know where to place your own tiles.  You can also use I,J,K,L to do the same thing.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-24 19:48:34

@Aprone, I actually do rather like this game, though pawprints is something of a monster it is true big_smile.

I've got to the third opponent thus far and the plus rule hasn't triggered as yet but I do think I can see how it works from the explanation.
What I do like in this game is the instant stratogy, the game is very easy to understand and comprehend all the factors, which actually is quite different from pawprints, much as I do rather like pawprints as well.
I also like the idea of expanding with more tyles and opponents in the future, as sinse the values in the game are simply numeric you can just continue to add as many higher level tyles as you want.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2015-08-24 20:11:29

thx for breaking down the plus rule aprone, I really got a better understanding of it

glad to know a multi player feature will be added in the future, man its hard for me to control my hypeness for that

you probably will need chi for this, but how about some more sounds and music in the game? I think that will really bring it to life.

kudos on the tiles being something from all of your games I thought that was pretty neat.

im rarely losing now really getting the hang of this, man u guys better pray aprone doesn't come out with this multi player anytime soon lol

2015-08-24 20:26:21

Thank Dark and smoothguner.

Dark you're definitely right, this can be expanded very easily.  The game already has code for a different game mode, but I haven't sat down yet to balance it out.  Basically each new rule set brings in even more ways to play, plus makes you look at your tiles differently when assembling your deck before a battle.

Smoothgunner, I think for many of the tiles I can just grab sounds from my other games.  Well many of these things didn't have sounds, now that I think about it.  Oh well, at least I can get the ball rolling by grabbing the associated sounds from my other games.

I really did enjoy grabbing characters from my other games to serve as the tiles.  Hopefully it takes some players down memory lane, to games they played years ago.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-24 20:50:45

I did rather like the  reappearence of the bores etc, and I like how they're given a collection that they belong to so anyone who wonders what game they came from can always go and find out. Also glad to know that my defeats weren't on easiest level big_smile.

My only miner comment is it'd be nice if there were better ways of viewing your tyles in the deck menu, for example having your tyles 1-5 at the top, then the others sorted by rarity rather than having to look through the hole menu to find tyles 1-5.

Indeed it'd probably be better to first select a tyle and hit say shift and a number to assign a slot than have to hit enter on a tyle and have them reassigned, sinse I did have some weerd swapping moments.

It might also be rather nice to have some sort of revelation style notification of how many tyles of each collection you have.

Lastly,  if you can win additional copies of the same tyle, it'd be nice to put some use to them? For example, say there was a series of  tougher opponents who would guarantee! a rare tyle if you won, but you had to steak several common tyles as an entry fee to battle them, say 5 common to one rare. 

It also might be fun if the story got a bit more crazy and anime like, sinse everyone knows a card battle isn't a card battle if their aren't exploding monsters, aliens, and girls with cat ears, plus cloaked villains who want to take over the world big_smile.

2015-08-24 21:12:38

Dark I'm not really a fan of the current deck configuration menu either.  I did get a bit lost though when you suggested selecting a tile and then pressing the number to assign it to that slot.  That's how the game is supposed to do it now.  I'll have to double check on that.

The testing team and I were tossing around the idea of losing tiles when you are defeated by a computer opponent, but I'm not sure if that will be too hard.  I think the last possibility we tossed around was that you'd lose tiles only on the hardest difficulty modes.

I have it where you can only own 1 of each tile type, but a wager system where you risk more than 1 tile is a neat idea.

The story doesn't quite that that twist, but it's because I wanted to paint the picture of your character as he makes his way around the place.  He is one of those nerds who is so involved in his own fantasy, that he is an insensitive jerk to everyone he is around.  It was quite a bit of fun to write.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-24 21:56:58

I agree with all of dark's suggestions

im not really sure what would be a good system for the tile collection but yes it should be changed, maybe there can be an option at the main menu called "tile collection" that lets you view all your tiles. they can be grouped by the level of rarety or the games that they come from

2015-08-25 01:11:06

New update posted.

Changes from 0.5b to 0.5c

- More tiles have been added.
- Most of the game's tiles have been given sounds, usually from their original games.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2015-08-25 01:36:43

Hi
Wow this game just keeps getting better aprone you are amazing! You're the king arthur of audio game development rofl.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2015-08-25 02:03:50

Guitarman, are you calling my table round?!  How dare you good sir!  I have never been the victim of such accusations!
He he he, obviously the above line was meant to be read as a joke.  big_smile  Thanks man, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I wish I wasn't still stuck on the next game I'm doing.  I can make the AI super stupid, or make it super smart, but I can't seem to find a way to make it in the middle.  Having something switch back and forth from master assassin to shooting itself in the face, is not a good way to simulate an average soldier.  In the same sense, I can't seem to turn my 2 options into what I want.  I'm sure I'm missing something, so maybe I'll think up the answer while I'm at work tonight.

- Aprone
Aprone's software