2015-08-13 21:47:51

Hello,
So although this is not strictly "dev" related (in the most literal sense of the word), I think it is ok to post it here.
When you are developing a game, like something you think you can sell and mmake money from, do you ever feel overloaded? I mean, for one person trying to develop a game, there is an aweful lot of work.  There is:
-coding (of course)
-ideas that keep on coming (generates more of all of this)
-getting music
-getting voices
-trying to work on releasing as soon as possible
-trying not to sacrifice quality due to points above
-Making sure there aren't any major bugs...
I feel like I've been working 4 hours a day on this project for the last month and a half, and I'm nowhere complete. Every time I think I'm complete, something crops up. For example, I thought I was done until I realised that I needed voices. That means trying to find someone to narrate the game for me, writing lines and such.
I'm now copying everything that's currently spoken with a screen reader and putting it in the voice lines file.
and there's still so much work to do. I still need to work on integration with various systems... I'm going nuts. Can anyone sympathize with me?

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2015-08-14 00:15:33

Whenever a mainstream developer does something like this as a one-person project, and the quality is competitive, people are amazed.

Of course, hiring people who know what they're doing to help is usually more expensive than any of us can handle, and breaking out of the Niche Market Ghetto in order to get by on crowdfunding is like winning the lottery.

I'd actually like doing everything myself, if I could.
But eeeeek, there's a reason so few devs get anything done around here.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2015-08-17 00:29:22

Well, here is my view point on this, as the developer of the game S Quad Racing. The biggest challenges for me are for one, not wanting my game to be boring because I get some mechanic(s) of race cars wrong, -- even though I've convinced myself that I should just do it the way I envision a fun, action packed, addicting arcade style racing game to be. Second, there is the sounds issue. It can be hard to get sounds, ---- I only have 8 or 9 vehicles to choose from which means I will need members of the community to build cars for the game, as I'd like there to be a broad selection to choose from and unlock and such.

Those are personally my only issues being a single game developer. I try not to give release dates, instead I provide people with audio demos and status updates so that they can always be in the know. But other than that, I find the process of coding and testing to be quite enjoyable. If you think about it, it's a game in itself, --- complete one obstacle, code (make some progress), and then there is another obstacle which you must over come. And the reward for winning the game known only as programming, is a finished project.

OK I'm sorry for that extremely long rant like post. tongue

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2015-08-21 05:45:53

What you should do is just get something that demonstrates kind of what your game is going to be out first, then add on to it as time progresses.