2015-05-03 19:54:21

That would be nice to have, anyway guys I have cooked up as close to a mac version of this talking dosbox as we can get as of now. Will give the link for it once it's uploaded. @Crashmaster: Why would the keysoft1 disks be useless, wouldn't they still work with a fake hardware synth, i e use the virtual bns emulator but make it pose as a keynote sa so that keysoft will recognize it? I'd bring up keynote multimedia but kgm doesn't work in dos anyway.

2015-05-03 23:38:39

What!?
I thought I put it in.
I am playing catchup today.
the upgrades to the house have gotten a bit less noisy so hopefully I will get on dmnb today I promise I will try the next 2 weeks will bequiet.
Anyway the link.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1407689/oldgames.7z

2015-05-04 16:02:38

Hi,
I have got a little question regarding mounting games.
I got some games placed on my c drive and tryed mounting them.
Sadly though, it didnt mount the way it should.
Can someone explain how you can mount these games in to the doss box and launch them afterwards?
Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2015-05-04 19:14:47

crashmaster, thanks for the link!

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2015-05-09 14:59:01

ok, so how do i get the flipper screan reader to run? i changed the conf file but when i do and run the exe i get no speech, i then triied to run jaws then changed to the c:\flip50\sbtalker and it said it was unable to change, can someone tell he what is going on?

But sometimes the world is better without sight...
Because You can see the world how it really is...
Dark.

2015-05-09 22:36:59

This took a long time, mostly because I was waiting for Phil to get back to me. I'm cautiously optimistic that the next version will include old PCS games, but until that happens I figured I would release what I have up to this point. Version 2 now also includes ASAP which is probably the best way to use this, plus a whole bunch of games. I've updated the first post with the new and from now on stable download link.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2015-05-10 04:02:43

I'm loving the new update. was playing drone and drug wars to the death.b

-id software, 1995

2015-05-10 04:22:59

This catagory of Wikipedia DOS listsings may be useful to many:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:DOS_software

2015-05-10 11:08:51

Wow, great to see this. I was ever interested in playing dos games, but I was to Young to Play them and so, i only heart of some interesting games. It would be great to see the PCS games included into talking dosbox. But in General, it is great to see that you include games andpograms already. I ewould be realy happy to see more of this, since it is easier for peopl like me who never used dos to have a complete package already. However, Keep up the great work Pitermch, this is awesome.

2015-05-10 14:33:43

Hi!
I've got a problem with asap.
When I run startbns.bat, espeak sais ready and then the dosbox launches.
But when I type asap, it beaps but espeak is silent.
Anyway it's awesome that the emu is  finally working. Playing the games in dosbox is much more convinient than running a virtual machine.

2015-05-10 17:01:33

did you install com0com and configure virtual pair 1 to use com8 and com9?

-id software, 1995

2015-05-10 18:20:00

Problem solved. I accidentaly messed up the com port number in the startbns.bat file. I changed it to 9 instead of 8 and as it seamed to be working I managed to forget I've done it.

2015-05-10 18:20:51

Hello.
I got a little problem with the com 0 program.
I am not sure how the setup tool works to set up the serial ports for com 8 and com 9.
Can someone help me with that please?
Greetings Moritz.

2015-05-10 18:33:41

When you open the setup tool you should land in a tree view. If you're not, tab around until you get it to it. Then, you need to find virtual pair 1 (maybe you could change pair 0 as well, but I haven't tried). Once you do, shift tab twice and you'll be sitting in the first of 2 edit boxes that configure the port. You enter COM8 here, then tab to the second box and enter COM9. Then keep tabbing to find the apply button and press it.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2015-05-10 20:10:14

Maybe such things should be included in the dcumentation of talking dosbox, to ensure you are doing the right things. Just a Suggestion. This could be helpful, especially if you never before used dos like me.

2015-05-10 21:48:33

Hi,
Thanks for the hint, I have set up the program as needed.
I quite cool thing is, when I start the file for the asap screen reader and it says ready, it also starts the doss box at the same time, so I just can type away.
I have started the talking directory program, due to the fact that I cant get anywhere with the shell at the moment.
But there is a problem. When I browse through the files, it reads out the file names with the word back after each file.
When I press the enter key to go in to a folder, it just jumps to the next folder or file.
Is there something wrong with my keyboard or what is going on there?

2015-05-11 00:28:03

thank you so much for this.  I had a little trouble with the com ports as I couldn't find com 1 for a while, but now it seems to be working a treat.  off to nab fallthrough to add it to the list.

2015-05-11 01:01:51

I realise this is in earliesh stages, but I am having major issues running games on this using ASAP.  the main one being that piledriver gave errors and the screen echo doesn't seem to work that well, as it won't always give me menu choices and flat out refuses to give wrestler listings on piledriver.  eamon and others have also given me these problems.  I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

2015-05-11 05:02:23

Hi,
this is so cool! I didn't have any problems getting speech to work, but the instructions from the readme to launch gwbasic games does not work. When I type for example gwbasic 4inarow.bas, it just tells me this is an illegal command. Besides, some of these games in this gwbasic folder do have a .bat extension or .sol, so how to open these? Like I said, using the command gwbasic just doesn't work.

2015-05-11 17:56:35

maybe it's gwbasic.exe instead?

-id software, 1995

2015-05-11 20:42:09

Well I tried to run cosmoserve an agt game I liked to play.
After mounting my old computer backup games drive.
in jaws and flipper the game didn't even echo anything back.
in asap, the game echoed half of its info but it didn't read instructions intros, the look function and little on the screen bar my location.
asap also starts rather to fast for my liking.
I also know its early stages but to be honest if this is going to do this I much prefur my x86 terminal, I don't have all the functions of dos but at least I can play games sort of.
keep working on it though

2015-05-11 23:57:22

also, why did you include the tiny talk documentation and not tiny talk itself?

-id software, 1995

2015-05-12 00:12:28

Did you remember to tell AGT to send output to the BIOS? I think there's a /b switch you need to give to the executable to get it to do that. Otherwise it writes directly to screen memory, which in my experience never worked 100% with screen readers, and was mostly silent without setting up monitored windows.

2015-05-12 03:50:59

I like the kitchens inc program 'dospal'.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2015-05-12 05:10:47

Hi,

no, gwbasic.exe doesn't work either for launchen gwbasic games. I'd really like to know how it works, since there are tons of gwbasic games in this package and they just won't start.
By the way, every time I close the emulator window for dosbox, NVDA crashes on me. That's not such a big problem since I can easily restart it, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.