2014-09-22 20:54:51

Does anybody need sounds for a game? I have well over 80 gigs of sounds that are very high quallity and I also have a great tallent in audio editing. Please let me know. I haven't had a task in a while.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2014-09-22 22:50:11

Does anybody need sounds for a game?
Who doesn't?
(Bla bla bla who has what licenses for what type of project etc etc)
I'm trying to wait until I have like half a beta of something before I go asking for sounds. My brain's subcomponents suck at cooperating long enough to anything.
*Adds to list of "If anything ever comes of this" contacts*

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-09-23 09:12:23 (edited by Kenzon Yeoh 2014-09-23 09:15:30)

Hello,
I'm not making games, nor am I making anything related to sounds, but I like to have lots of sounds on my computer, just so I can have fun with audio editing LOL. I do hope that you might be able to set up a BT Sync folder or something, since downloading an 80GB file directly from dropbox and such could be time consuming.

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2014-09-23 18:49:39

What format are these sounds in? A Bittorrent sync folder would be nice.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-10-02 11:37:43

Did he mentioned anything about sharing the sounds? Not that I've seen. smile
The big question is: Are you responcible for the licenses on the sounds if they are being used in a game?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-10-02 15:09:10

That's also my question.  Are these sounds legally yours?

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-10-02 17:15:47

Hi, I am going to ask a question. If those sounds are not legal, what's going to happen?

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-10-02 18:41:02

I don't care if nothing happens.  If I wish people to respect my work, then it falls to me to respect theirs.  That is the primary reason I care.
And here's a question for you, too.  What if something does?  Do you really want to be dragged into that?  is it worth the risk?  For something free, you might be all right.  Maybe.  You hope.  But I have no intent of releasing free audiogames that aren't demos, and adding price tags makes legal action more likely.

My Blog

2014-10-03 07:29:58

Apparently he hasn't came to post here yet, so I guess we'll have to see. As for what will happen to sounds you got illegally, you'll possibly go to jail and/or get sued or whatever LOL. Kinda like how people react to all illegal actions like stealing and smuggling etc.

2014-10-11 01:53:45

I baught them. I only give sounds for free games

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2014-10-11 03:21:31

Oh, I didn't know that you bought them. You're so kind though as to give sounds for free games.

2014-10-11 04:44:52

He can't.  Not legally.  Not unless he also got permission along with the sounds to redistribute for free purposes.  In that case, he probably paid way more than any of us could afford and would require signatures or somesuch, so I highly doubt it.
To those who care, yes, this is illegal without additional terms.  It's technically piracy even for free stuff only.  Is something likely to happen to you for a free audiogame?  Probably not.  But I really feel it should be noted, especially since this is happening at least partially via a public forum.
Sorry to rain on the parade, and I suppose at least 50% of the people on here will shrug.  But that's not on me.

My Blog

2014-10-11 17:14:50

techmaster20 wrote:

I only give sounds for free games

That's what he wrote, at least. So I guess he'd have the permition to redistribute them

2014-10-11 19:19:56

No. It doesn't mean that.  It just means that he doesn't want to get into legal battles.
I have never ever once heard of any sound effects library that says "buy me and then you can give me to all your friends so long as they don't make money".  This is stupid.  if it said so, nothing stops you as the friend from giving it to a third, fourth, fifth, and hundredth person.  As the author I've just taken myself out of a job-someone buys my library, quite legally gives it to a  friend for a free game, that friend puts it up as a torrent.  Without lawyers involved in the whole process, that torrent is perfectly legal.  Everyone downloads the torrent and uses it for paid software.  I see $0 for all that paid software and end up homeless or making a second one that I don't do that with, but really it's the same difference.
Without some very exotic additional licensing terms, this is technically piracy, even if only for free games.  Those terms cost huge amounts of money at best, and I'm not aware of anyone offering them (>10000 dollars minimum, assuming you can even find them).  As I said, probably no one outside here will care and probably half the people here won't.  But I'm not clear how this can't be clear.

My Blog

2014-10-11 21:23:40

Hey Camlorn,

Just curious to know where the legal line is drawn with purchasing and using sounds.
For instance, the OP can't just give sounds to anyone because he'd be breaking the license.
But he could use them in his own game creations right?
So what if he were on a team making a game, then he could still use them right?
I guess that's if he had some ownership of the game.
But ownership of a free game doesn't mean much since there's no money coming in.

So it becomes pretty easy for anyone making a free game to include someone who purchased sounds to use in their projects as a team member.
Then it would seem legal.
It seems like a gray area, but purchasing sounds seems pointless if you can't use them in your own projects or in projects you are involved in.

Just curious if you know these answers since it has always seemed a little vague to me.

Oh, and I think these questions mostly apply to royalty free sounds, as non royalty free sounds are more clear because you pay on a per project basis.

Thanks!

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2014-10-11 22:37:17

You have to consult the license is where the line is drawn.  I'm confident in what I'm saying because you'd have to be supremely idiotic to offer these terms to your customers.  It is possible they're offered, but I don't know any blind person anywhere who could afford it even assuming it's there in the first place.  I am not a lawyer, but I've looked into this stuff--licensing was very important for me not too long ago.  But citing me will not hold any value in a court of law.
If you use it in your project and give me your project, you're probably fine.  The only way you wouldn't be is if you told me that it's okay to use the art or otherwise break the licensing terms.  If I then take the art from your project without your permission, then I'm the one breaking the law.  In the case of purchasing a sound collection and handing it out to anyone who wants it, even if it's ostensibly for free games, then at least the person who originally bought the collection can be in legal trouble (and is almost definitely breaking the law).  I'm not sure if the other party would be-what if I tell you it's legally clear but it isn't, for example?  Are you then responsible for my lie?
If you are okayed to give me the sounds for my free project without additional terms specifying that you need a bunch of stuff in writing, then there's no guarantee that I'm going to use it in a free project or not give it to anyone else except my non-legally-binding word.  On account that this is hard to orchestrate and the problem I described above, I'm very skeptical that such licenses both exist and are used for commercial sounds.  Technically the GPL is this for source code (you can sell it but must also give out the code along with it).  The GPL demonstrates the problem perfectly, except that it doesn't have much application to sounds which, in a way, are their own source code.
But really, it's like RTFM except with licenses.  And yeah, you have to be pretty good at vocabulary and reading comprehension for a lot of them.

My Blog

2014-10-12 02:04:17

Having purchased multiple sound effects libraries myself, I can definitely concur with Camlorn on the expense point. Most libraries are sold with a royalty-free license. This means you are not required to pay any attributions or royalties to the original publisher. To compensate for this lack of perpetual income, royalty-free libraries are usually high in price, since they want to recoop the expenses in the making of the library, as well as for any potential profits they would've otherwise made were the product under an attribution license.

Sound effects are never redistributable in their original form. A person is free to distribute an effect irrespective of any income they may or may not receive. However, and here is the catch, they cannot redistribute the effect in its original form. You cannot just grab a sound out of your library and give it to someone. You can only give a sound to someone to use in a project if the effect you give them is modified in such a way that it is no longer recognizable or deconstructible into the original product.

I'm not going to lie or sugarcoat. People in the audio gaming community steal sounds without any shame. I design sounds for Alter Aeon. I was once told by players there that my desire to find a way to encrypt my sounds was ridiculous because, and I paraphrase, they had every right to take those files and use them wherever they wished. Nowadays, I've taken to lacing reverb onto files I release for free projects, or else release them in low quality forms, so that even if someone wants to steal my work, they won't be able to use them as readily as possible. This was a mistake of mine in Swamp. In my naivety, I release sounds in high quality format because I wanted the game to sound better, as did other players. Had I known that most of those players only wanted the game to sound better because that facilitated their ability to reappropriate those sounds for other purposes, I would've kept the files at a low quality rating.

It's for these and other reasons that I've lost interest in designing sounds for audio games. Until I can design for a well encrypted game, I'm tired of giving people free material. I don't do what I do as a job, I do it as a hobby. I scrimp and save to buy my libraries because I actually have other bills and expenses to consider. I'm perfectly fine making sounds for a game without compensation, assuming the game inspires my creativity, but I am not ok with releasing my sounds for leeches to steal.

In summary, a sound effect may only be redistributed once its been modified and/or mixed enough so that it does not resemble the original sound effect. Even when a sound is distributed in this fashion, you do not have a right to reappropriate these sounds for your own purposes.

Kai

Spill chuck you spots!

2014-10-12 20:14:25

I will only let a person use a sound, if I have, can make, or can record it, the sounds must be incripted well enough that people can't steal them, and that  the game will not have money made from it.

2014-10-12 22:46:59

Since we have someone who knows about this more than I do interested in this thread:
Does this mean that I can't purchase sound effect libraries that I can use in a game, so long as I explicitly don't allow others to appropriate them?  If I bought library x, how likely is it that I need to remix before using library x in my project?  My understanding was that you're okay as long as you don't give out the actual library by itself plus permission to use the actual library, but you seem to be saying this is not the case.

My Blog

2014-10-13 00:48:24

Can we discuss this over Skype? I perfer to discuss things like this in a matter that doesn't involve me having to open my web brouser every thirty minutes! My skype name is tyler.chambliss1

2014-10-13 01:34:09

If you're asking me to come to Skype, I should point out that I'm not asking you about the legality.  I'm asking Xoren.

My Blog

2014-10-13 02:06:23

I mean, We all should discuss this over skype so the flow of the conversation goes faster

2014-10-13 03:51:28

Sorry, no.

My Blog

2014-10-15 00:17:36

Ok, question for all of you. Can someone even really copyright a sound? Let me explain. So ok, I get it, you buy a 10 gig library and yeah, your not supposed to share it. But, lets say someone put it in there game folder as an mp3 file. someone who downloads the game uses it in one of theres and so on and so forth. Eventually, the sound is gonna be everywhere and theres nothing we can do about it. Like for example, if the Wilhelm scream was copyrighten, most movie companies and video game companies would get sued. But, that hasn't happened.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2014-10-15 02:37:05

Neither one example nor lack of enforcement make something legal.  I'd go with no, but in truth this question is very, very complex.  Usually, it's decided when someone finally goes to court.  I could see two ways you could go about it, though: music is copyrightable and so is "art" under some circumstances.  I'm going with yes unless someone has very substantial information to the contrary.

My Blog