2014-06-29 21:34:34

Hi, I'm working on my project for my computing a-level. I'm going to make an rpg. I thought I'd start this topic so I can get advice and opinions which I need for the write up of the project.

I'm using python, and I already have a few basic things done, like walking around rooms and taking and dropping items. Currently it's only text based, but I'm working on adding audio. One problem I'm trying to solve is how to have a pygame window running to handle the real-time audio and key presses but be able to switch to the console window to read the textual descriptions and be able to enter more complex commands.

My basic idea is that the arrows would be used for navigation and there will be audio to provide ambience and information about where exits are and so on, but there will be text descriptions of rooms and items and commands can be entered like in a text adventure or mud. I think this will add more flexibility and give more detail than sticking to either a text adventure or an audiogame.

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

2014-06-29 21:49:06

Have you considered creating a scroll-based window with Accessible_output and pygame?
I made a window that people could arrow up and down and it was like they were in a word processor. I didn't make letter or word navigation, but I'm sure that is not that hard.

2014-06-29 23:40:14

Are you using a window only because of the sound?
I think you can use it without a window, if you call pygame.mixer.init instead of pygame.init. The latter forces you to use the screen, but you can use audio without the rest of it if you just use the former.
I think, anyway.

If you need/want the window anyway, maybe consider drawing text to the screen with pygame.draw and using ... some kinda screen reader output that Python has (universal speech seems to support python hypothetically, but no idea if it works or not. Getting it to work with NVDA shouldn't be that hard, at least.).

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-06-30 00:04:16

I just have a black box, it makes life much easier when you have a window. It makes you look like a dork, typing away with a black screen, but hey it is cooler than entombed which is just a white screen!

2014-07-12 16:18:28

Since today is my find old audiogames.net posts:
The speech solution for python is Accessible_output2, here.  You will need mercurial to pull it down.  It works on Windows and, I believe, Mac and Linux.  It may (low probability) have a bug with Jaws and NVDA being installed at the same time, but no one has been able to send me a test case and I don't have Jaws installed so I've not been able to fix it (if someone wants to tell me what is going on, if it's even bugged at all, I have the power to do so).  Binding universal speech with ctypes is also the work of like half an hour if you don't know ctypes (and if you do, 10 minutes max).
But you're never going to be able to switch from a window to the console and back, so getting Pygame working without a window or more preferably  screen reader speech is what you want (I also believe windowless Pygame for audio is doable, but do not have great familiarity with Pygame).

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992