2014-03-05 01:03:47 (edited by guilevi 2014-06-22 17:57:42)

Hello audiogamians,
Today I bring to you my latest, which is also my first, project. It is an audiogame called Town of Peril. This originally started as a remake of the popular game danger city, and it's evolved so much it barely resembles it now. For now, the beta does not include an actual level system. When the game is complete, I plan on calling this thing the survival mode, but it's a good way of demonstrating the new features of the game, including the sounds, the grenades, the knives, the flashbangs, the enhanced throwing, and lots more! Also, a big thanks goes to MTG Studios, mason Armstrong, for fixing some of my code mess ups and helping me with this! I hoep you enjoy it!
Note: Make sure to read the manual in /docs/instructions english.txt before you play. This game has some weird keystrokes.
The current version is beta 3. Here's the link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/568 … latest.zip
Enjoy, and make sure to leave your comments here! Any ideas, suggestions, reports or just random thoughts are grrrrrreatly appreciated!

A fight we cannot lose.
An enemy we cannot defeat.
A destiny we cannot escape.
Follow me on twitter @guilevi2000

2014-03-05 08:59:37

Hello Guilewi! I tried your game and it is very cute! There are a lot of potential. I hope you will add the ability to level up. I'm curious to see the developments. I think you have to try not to make repetitive, adding different types of monsters and perhaps different environments. Pressing the t gives error.
A hug and keep it up!

2014-03-05 09:39:13

Hello,
As I said, this is a beta version, and this will probably just be a survival mode in the final release. T shouldn't error out, although I've seen it do that some times. Is it ocasional or does it always do it?

A fight we cannot lose.

2014-03-05 09:51:51

Hi.
wow, great news. So, have you taken over the Danger city project?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-03-05 10:54:14

Hello,
Thanks for the comments guys! I do actually have a system for gender up and stuff, but I didn't implement it into the game framework yet, but if you guys are interested I might just do it in the next version. About the status keys, for health, I thought the bleeps would be better, but hey, that's what suggestions are for, improving. I'll make the beep health indicator a toggle and add in keys to check health level, knives, grenades and such. As well as make medkits limited.
@SLJ, I haven't taken over that project. I don't even know the guy who started it, and that's why even though this is based of the DC idea, it's as differnt from it as I could make it, including the name, even though it's a half sinonim.
Again, thanks for the comments! Let me know of anything else you'd like implemented or changed!

A fight we cannot lose.

2014-03-05 11:30:57

Also, system to taking an items will be very cool.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2014-03-05 11:31:03

I like the idea of using bleeps instead of numbers for health; much more like a mainstream HUD, if not as persistently visible.
(Downloading now)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2014-03-05 12:50:20

That's exactly why I made it like that, @CAE. @giovani, I've been working on that for a while and I think I might have it ready by the next version. I also plan on making non-sidescrolling levels, so if you guys have ideas for minigames, that would be great.

A fight we cannot lose.

2014-03-05 13:00:06

Hey, just a bit of ot. but, I love your signature. a bit of We're Alive and bocarono put together. lol.

2014-03-05 14:52:08

Yes, indeed! This game has a huge potential. We just need some way to take items and stuff. Is a history line planned for the game? Regarding types of enemies, one easy solution would be to define several variations of damage and health for each one and add some random taunt with different voices to make them really different in the player's point of view.
Keep up the nice work!
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2014-03-05 15:22:34 (edited by synchronfreak 2014-03-05 15:58:57)

a simple sidescroller like in the 80s or 90s have the same rights like a complicated game. The link is down. I can.t download the game.

2014-03-05 18:16:06

I like the game but I would remove the flash bangs. because after a few levels of allmost getting killed I ended up using flash bangs, jumping to the teleporter, blasting some enemies away with grenades and the rest I just beat up with another flash bang. I think it's way too easy if you use the flash bangs constantly. maby you shouldn't get new supplies every level, but the supplies could be skattered around the level?

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2014-03-05 20:11:04 (edited by Haramir 2014-03-05 20:11:39)

With the help of a friend, I noticed a little issue that causes the game to crash. If you do the game play many sounds at once the game usually freezes and crashes. Hope it helps in some way.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2014-03-06 11:34:26

hey, love the beta. keep the good work.
but instead of using shift try controll. Sticky keys are realy bothersome. lol

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2014-03-06 13:03:45

I have to agree, the sticky keys thing gets in your way when you're firing grenade after grenade after grenade.

2014-03-06 13:46:17 (edited by burak 2014-03-06 13:53:59)

hi, the game is very high quality. There are suggestions I'd like to make:
1-When enemies are hit with a projectile, their pain sounds are not random at all

2-Why can't the grenade hit more than one person? It's a detinator after all.
3-You can add some pits and other obsticals, and items.
For the minigame thing, you can add a fighting game, like injustace, one to one. And an escape from bombs level would be nice, where bombs and fireballs would come and you'd have to jump or duck. Should be a fast pased game. And you should really add genders, and the game will rock. Normal kicks would be good, too.
Well, that's all for now!

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-03-06 16:23:12

And more suggestions:
1-We should be able to run
2-Enemies should be able to grap us too.

I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-03-06 16:31:16

Bug with medkits: They don't heal at all!

2014-03-06 16:49:54

Please be more specific. I haven't had any problems with medkits. Maybe enemies are attacking you and negating the healing? Also, medkits don't seem to heal all at once, it does take time.

2014-03-06 18:42:32

um, of corse they do! they got me out of some tough situations but at level 10 while I was throwing grenades and knives in flashbang mode I didn't realise all the enemies at my position till I got out of flash mode and then I was pritty screwed lol.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2014-03-06 23:39:11

Hi,
For the sticky keys thing, I'm going to use control for different stuff, so no, I can't change it. You can turn sticky keys off from the window that appears when you press windows+u.
@Burak, thanks for the suggestions, but remember, I can't add everything at once. This is, after all, just a beta. And the first beta for that matter. As for grenades not hitting more than one person, I have to look into that. They seem to do it at random times, I've seen them hit more than one enemy at once. As for the pain sounds not randomizing, it's not exactly that. If you read the documentation carefully, you'll see enemies are killed by grenades and knives instantly, although I may have to rethink that one. Normal kicks are already there. Space actually combines kicking with punching, flying kicks are just a plus so you can get more health away.
Medkits do heal you! I actually made them work slowly and heal you over time until the charge runs out, that's why the heart beat ascends in pitch until you hear the ping.
@connor, that's what flash is for, sir. it actually lowers the whole audio so you can't hear crap. I mean, you can, but barely. Like someone said, though, flashbangs are a bit too useful. I might either change the system or remove them. I'm already working on the next beta, which includes items which actually do work, and a few other things. Although I do have to ask for something from every one of you: I accidentally messed up the validation system in beta 1, so when beta 2 comes out, please do delete any copies of beta 1 you may have.
I'll keep you guys posted!

A fight we cannot lose.

2014-03-07 17:12:06

Hi,
Guilevi: It doesn't matter when you add my ideas, I just pour them away when I just think of one. And let me know if you're annoyed.

2014-03-07 17:52:10

This game is so great man, Keep up the good work. I look Forward to new Versions. It is realy funny. Will it have a Story in later Versions as well?

2014-03-08 18:46:18

it will. Or, I'm planning on having one. I *MAJORLY SUCK* at making up stories, my imagination is complete junk. Hmm, you just gave me an idea. Once this game is complete, I might do a story contest to see who can make up the best story and think of a reward. Start thinking, guys!

A fight we cannot lose.

2014-03-09 19:03:24

Hi,

I'm the one who wrote Danger City.
If you want to continue the project or something, then go right ahead. I washed my hands of that project years ago.