2007-10-23 17:15:03

No, they really don't. But we were thinking of that because we just thought, Hey, why not... I mean, most people have a team cheer that's a shout of the province or a little chant thing. The folks from quebec simply shout as one, "Quebec!" which could be taken as a war cry. So, it works... especially if you're thinking elvish.

Arwen and emotional seens. Hmm. That's an interesting one. I know when some people get emotional it's hard to project emotion without whispering. I thought she did a good job with it, personally. If her personality was the same, I think she'd've been perfect.

Saruman! Now you mention it... I do like his voice in the films. I just wish they could've redone the so-called parlie in the radio play and the book. But the rest of it... he has the best voice, I swear. wow... so evil.

And Boromir too. A round about good job. He sounds a bit more... hmm. I don't know. Not quite Boromir. Not his voice, that's awesome. But.. I'm thinking more along the lines of personality. He sounds a bit harsh at times as well. As for Elvish being spoken, there was a fair amount that wasn't whispering. There's a lot of shouting in it, in the second film, if you like. lol. Remember Aragorn? =P

Discord: clemchowder633

2007-10-23 18:41:18

I agree on the whispering -- Legolas has a good spat with Aragorn that's no whispered, thank God, but for the most part, yes, they do. I think it has a good bit to do with Liv/Viggo as actors; Viggo as a person is very quiet and reserved in interviews (when he bothers to give any at all). Liv by contrast is quiet, but not so much so. But as she had to lower her voice for the part of Arwen, I wonder if that doesn't have a lot to do with the whispering. And lets face it, if you're an actor, you can do pretty much whateve ryou want to your character.

I'm partial to Frodo, but then again, I'm the freak that has the Spyro game (and Eternal Night soon I hope) for Xbox 360 because Elijah's in it, and because I am, again, LOTR-educated first and foremost via the movies. I do believe Frodo in the books had his own qualities that could have been carried through better and Sam... Sean Astin fan, so...

Yeah, I'm a freak. smile

I digress. And know there was a point here. Seem to have lost it, though.

Oh, Ninja Turtles... Yay! I loved them myself, though I never saw Heman.

Jess, a curious gamer/hopeful developer.

2007-10-24 07:45:59

You never saw heman! how?!!!!! you don't know what you missed! Now theere! is a man who can never whisper, lol!

I had quite an interesting connection with turtles, sinse at the age of 7, just as Turtles were starting to become popular and be shown on Tv a lot over here, I was rather seriously ill, and had to spend a solid 6 months in hospital.

during that time, i got through a lot of turtles related stuff, watching the series, having books read to me by my mum, ---- my brother even read me quite a lot of the commics.

Once I recovered, I was a very serious turtle fanatic, ----- and in fact spent quite a lot of time playing the original turtles beat em up arcade game, ----- which I now have on my Pc through mame, lol!

Getting back to Lotr though, I was mildly put off the actress who plays Arwen in various way by an interview i saw with her, where about the only thing she could say was "I'm arwen, ---- the elvish princess" Which is not only technically very wrong (elrond is most deffinately not a king), but not exactly incredibly clever.

I think the only scene I really liked with Arwen was the bit where she commanded the waters of the Bruinan to drown the ring wraiths, ---- though unfortunately after that there was all that rather odd business about "let him be spared" with frodo, which really didn't make much sense, ----- sinse as he was fading and becoming a wraith, he was no longer under the durisdiction of the Valar, ---- and anyway, being mortal, as an elf she couldn't really effect what happened to him accept by direct healing as Elrond himself does in the book.

As I said assault freak, Boromir I thought was great in Fotr, however as the encyclopedia of Arda's artical on the two towers points out, there is a miner problem with the scene in the extended edition where denethor commands him to get the ring. Was it the ring that tempted Boromir (as the film and book both show), or was he working as a double agent all along?

I'd hope it was the first, but there is at least some doubt about that.

As for actors doing what they like, ----- well certainly in the stage productions I've been in, the director's word is pretty much law! there are points where he/she will have to compromise with an actor about something, but general the director always gets their way as far as things go.

As quite an amusing aside about this, one production I was in last year, I had a very long solo song sequence about being incredibly depressed because all the rest of the cast had maried each other under the influence of a magic love potion, ---- and I hadn't. the script called me to "play a flagellet" (a penny whistle), during the song, but in the actual music the part is taken by a recorder and the actor usually just mimes. sinse I can in fact play a recorder (it's the instrument I am actually most qualified in technically), I just decided to play the thing intersperced with my singing.

the director asked if I could compulsively eat during the song. Compulsively eat while singing, and! playing a recorder! I had to patiently explain that short of me growing an extra mouth or two, this was going beyond the bounds of what is humanly possible!

The spiro game series is just one i've never come across Lorien at all, though if the plots are interesting I might investigate them sinse I have a major interest in game plots.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-10-25 01:05:32

Hmm. Yeah, that's an interesting question. I'm inclined to think it was the first about Boromir... though either is possible.

The seen for Arwen and the ring rathes as I've come to call it is good. I particularly like how her voice has a bit of reverb on it. Wait, did I say a bit? my mistake..

Personally though I don't think her voice was really suiting to her. The voice done by I can't remember who in the BBC redo of the books is a lot better, in my opinion. And the same could be said for Boromir and Gandalf. And Arragorn as well. Legolas... hmm. I don't know. He's alright in the films, I guess. Frodo could've been a lot better, and the same could be said for all the hobbits, actually. Theodin as well. Though technically... the way he came to his senses in the book and drama was way different in the films... I don't remember him being posessed, just hostile until Gandalf put Grema in his shoes

Discord: clemchowder633