2013-11-24 06:14:10

actually it wouldn't be much work.  It actually was more work for me to put in this key system then the menus.  BGT has a dynamic menu class designed for doing this.
I did this because this is what Dan did.  In dan's version you could press chord+z to exit and I suppose I could make z go back to the main menu and x repeat the options.
tell me truthfully do you think i'm trying to stay too faithful to the original?

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2013-11-24 14:54:27

Hi.
This game is really fun and cool. Thanks much for making a Windows version of this. It's pretty easy to beat when you've got the hang of it.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2013-11-24 21:40:24

I really like this game. It's definitely something small to pass time with. Personally though, I think a menu systems ould slow everything down int he long run, especially after you unlock every weapon and want to get to the most powerful ones. You'd have to every time scroll all the way down when it's your turn, which would be quite slow. Same would be true for the shop, IE if you want to get a lot of RAM upgrades.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2013-11-25 09:53:54

Well, we could have both. A menu with inputs, where the menu item is selected when you press the letter. You could scroll down to fight by using the arrow keys, or just press f like it works now. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2013-11-26 04:54:33

SLJ, that is exactly what I was thinking. I don't see why we could not have both a menu and keyboard commands. I do it all the time in my own games where I might have a menu like this.

New Game (n)
Load Game (l)
Describe Sounds (d)
Configure Settings (s)
Exit Program (x)

In such a menu system you have the option of arrowing to the appropriate menu item or pressing the assigned hot key to activate that menu item. I don't see why Harrylst couldn't do both in Hack. Regardless of how many attacks were in the fight menu I'd expect w for warm reset, c for cold reset, m for macros, etc to still work. They would just be assigned to menu items so the player could use the menu or the hot keys per his/her choice.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2013-11-26 08:25:20

ok. I am not sure if that's doable within the BGT dynamic_menu class I would use.  If there are those more familiar with that class than myself, please comment here.

Feel free to add me.

2013-11-27 00:00:40

Definitely doable.

2013-11-27 10:04:16 (edited by KG4RDF 2013-11-27 10:05:47)

Wow! I never thought I'd get to play some of my old favorites that I played on the Braille Lite back in Middle school ever again, but I come to this forum after having not been here for a while and find not one, but two of my old favorites ported to windows...Hack and Gotchya! I'm so excited! Probably more excited than a 24-year-old should be about two old games. LOL!

I loved both of these games so much back in the day, though!

Now, If only someone could port Battle!

Thanks to both harrylst and Jason SW for your hard work and quick fixing of bugs!

My opinions are my own. I try not to state them as facts and if I'm not sure about something, I do whatever research I can. I feel everyone should consider doing the same.

2013-11-27 12:42:37

Hi,
Battle and also, Arcade. I don't know what else was in this collection but I remember downloading it and wishing I could play them, luckily I had the readme and could read and have a good laugh, although I wish I could play these. I liked the idea of Arcade, the reaction time thingy. What was battle?

2013-11-27 13:47:40

Hi, when I launch the exe, it says hack and nothing else. how do I proceed?

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2013-11-27 14:10:09

Burak: Press z to repeat the message in Hack.

Best regards SLJ.

2013-11-27 21:23:06

Actually, I just started work on Battle, and I might do Arcade as well.

2013-11-28 00:36:38 (edited by KG4RDF 2013-11-28 00:39:41)

@Jason SW

Thanks so much for this!I can't wait for the release of Battle!

I don't even remember what Arcade was, although I'm sure I played it. I had quite a few disks of games back then.

@Aaron

I'll try to describe Battle as best as I can, considering it's been, well, over 10 years since I've played it.

It was one of the games I played most often sneakily in class, though.

It's a turn-based fighting game where you and your enemy have a certain amount of power. You have different types of attacks. A standard attack, a defense, an enemy drain, a health restore and I can't remember what else. By using different combinations of these attack and defense moves, you ...Battle harder and harder opponents (both you and oponents gaining more power along the way) until the game is won. Of course, whenever yours or your enemy's power reaches zero, the fight is over.

You had enemies such as: martial artist, Barbarrian, blackbelt etc.

The version written in basic was fun because you could edit the .bas file so that you could have a ton of power at the very beginning, although if you tried to make your power too high this way the game would crash although I don't exactly remember how. Knowing what I know now, which isn't much more than I did in middle school, I should have probably also edited some if statements or something...wait, did basic even use if statements? or just gotos and such? LOL! See? I did say I didn't know much...

Anyway, there you have it...

My opinions are my own. I try not to state them as facts and if I'm not sure about something, I do whatever research I can. I feel everyone should consider doing the same.

2013-11-29 07:23:04

Well, I really like this game. I heard about it and wanted it to be converted for windows since it came out. If anyone still has those notetakers, anyone care to rip the lines from the speech unit to bring back the old bns speech to make it feel like you are actually playing it on a bns. But still, it's a farely basic, but addicting game.

2013-11-29 07:28:28

I did take all the text from the original game.  I did not write a single line of text myself except for the stuff that I absolutely had to change.  I did my best to stay truthful to the port, but there were things I simply had to change, no choice.  I got mad at myself each time I changed something because with each change I felt I was making less of Dan's game and more of my own, which was not what I wanted.

Feel free to add me.

2013-11-29 15:29:49

Hi,

For me, porting is about staying as faithful to the original as possible, without having to go as far as emulating the original coding style, variable naming, etc..
As far as I'm concerned, all that matters is that the players don't notice too much of a difference, but to each his own.

2013-11-29 19:28:24

Wow. When I tried the Windows version of this game a few days ago, I hadn't realized that I messed around with it for four hours until they all passed. smile Definitly, a fun game. I can't wait to see others ported.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2013-11-29 23:46:39

Another thing I like about the faithful porting method I use is that I won't get lost and forgot what I have written and what not.

Feel free to add me.

2013-12-03 02:37:18

I think sounds should be added. that would make it more interesting.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2013-12-10 13:20:48

Hi everyone,

I haven't played this game in so long, so I just had one question.. What do you do with the disks when you find them? How do you use them? I tried going into use the internet, but that didn't work. lol

Thanks for anyones help. smile

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2013-12-10 21:29:43

hI.
You have to ask the bar tender for a drink and then the disks will load and will  give you some bonuses.

2013-12-15 07:36:31

thank you, I didn't know how to use them either.
I think you should record the bns's original voice for this game, to make it that bit more authentic.

be a hero and stop Coppa now!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dkm … DkWZ8/edit
-id software, 1995

2014-01-09 08:40:09

The link for Hack in the first post now gives a Dropbox 404 error. I just downloaded this a few days ago but need it again, so looks like a reupload of this game is in order! Please reupload Hack! Thanks so much!

2014-01-15 22:16:47

harrylst, your link to download the game is broken.
Please update the link so that lots of people can play your game.

2014-01-16 02:10:27

hi, can u repost that link for the game i'd love to try it but its down. says drop box

There's a place for me in this universe.