2007-08-20 17:43:53 (edited by dark empathy 2007-08-20 17:48:01)

It's update time for solaris prime, where you must face the Xylon slime, and only your strategic mind, will rescue those starbasses nine!

And now there is a version new, with reports aplenty from your crew, and lots of bugs squashed into goo, and extra difficulty too!

So come over here to Lile's site where you will find, I think I'm right, the patch for this amusing game, which tests the quickness of your brain.

So thanks to lile for giving us, this great update,
and without fuss, some more most cunning plans he has,
for audio text and all that Jaz.

So as I now conclude my rhyme, I'll wish you well until next time,
and thus when your spaceships weapons aiming, may you enjoy most happy gaming!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-08-20 21:47:01

dark,
i, love, that! dude you should do more of those rhymes. that was a good read!
i have the patch, but still don't really get the game, how do i know when a zilon is destroyed? i heard the boom sound a few times but i think that's when you get hit.
thanks.
regards,
aaron

2007-08-20 22:56:35

Small boom miss, bigger boom hit. Big rumble is a destroyed sound and also you get a report that a xylon was destroyed. It takes awhile to beat them down. You'll need to go to the tender a couple of times maybe before you finally get a xylon beat up enough, as you get pretty beat up as they gang up on you.

Step aboard those mighty ships, and set sail for distant shores.
But I have now lost track of it, in a time gone long before.
We can all get through this thing, some when, some way, some how.
But I was so much older then, I am yonger than that now.

2007-08-21 02:11:51

hey, lyle. What do you use to make all these great, great text adventures?

Regards,
Tristan
Trek Games, inc.

2007-08-21 03:21:02

LOL! I guess you are trying "The Escape". And I'm working on porting Land of the Sorceress. I did these manually. "The Escape" is a parody and I had to rewite it to make it fit. I made software to do this for me. But my format was not very accessible. So that is abandoned. So I will have to create one to make the Java S page using my I F format if the Java S thing works. If I get that done I will release it to the public for them to use as I would love to read other work like this that I do. You don't have do use sound. It is not CYOA and more like I F but has an CYOA feel but somthing is going on that CYOA can't do.  It is really about stories first and then make them interactive second. But they are both important. They flow very good. As an example lets say I have a 7 room game, as you do things some rooms change. I have to build another 7 rooms that looks just like the first 7 rooms with one or two rooms that have the change, when you do what is needed on the first level there is a link somewhere that leads to the second level. Then build levels on outward. I use 5 to 7 levels. And I have levels that link back to previous levels. Keep the machine-ah to temporal or magical properties and the effect is easy and fun. Or have a strong story line going and it is a bit more like CYOA. The effect is pretty convincing. Solaris is about story and theater as game (in very short fashion) pure setting and atmosphere as I could do in short order. My take is don't go for a blow out novel I F or game as a maverick until what you do is liked and works. Keep it short and interesting and grow from there. People have time for the the short story and love it if they keep coming. Like the short acton novels, Conan and such. Oh, now there is an idea for an I F adventure. LOL!

2007-08-21 03:30:23

With sound theater, I am disappointed that it is not as good as I think it should be. I prefer SciFi. I prefer short serial type stuff. I remember Rocket man pre-movie episode at the Saturday theater that you got into with a mild carton top. That was good stuff! Every serial had a cliff hanger. I don't see any sound theater that is like that or what I have seen in SciFi sound T is not very good as a short work. FM radio had a short 4 minute comedy on thing on chicken man. But you can only take so much of that.

2007-08-21 10:50:42

glad you appreciate the rhyming post Aaron, having been singing gilbert's lyrics on stage for the past three weeks, and getting the complete works of Rohald Dahl for my birthday I have rhymes going round and round inside my brain at the moment. I personally like Interactive fiction, either of the standardized If sort or gamebook style just because! it is an interactive story and you get to effect the plot etc, so what your doing is fine with me lyle.

I'm rather too young to have heard any of those radio cerials (or their Uk counterparts), but I'm a big fan of some of the Bbc dramatizations, imho the bbc version of Lord of the rings is the best adaptation of tolkeen's book ever!

If your into cliff hanger type stuff Lile, you might be interested in the Darker projects site: http://www.darkerprojects.com/ which does various audio type stuff in the Scifi and horror genre, including some pretty long running series (the Falcon banner and Byron chronicals are my personal favourites).

I've never really been a super hero fan, but I do like some of the stuff being done with The Secret Chronical, an ongoing podcast series about super heroes, but done in a slightly wrong and disturbing way. This is more like a series of short dramatic readings than actual radio plays, but imho it's stil good, especially being quite dark and grim in theme. You can find the secret chronical at http://www.secretworldchronicle.com/

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)