2007-05-22 13:39:18 (edited by dark empathy 2007-05-22 13:41:31)

Many interesting things can be found by digging around the net.

One that's recently come to light is the Zombi horror survival game Urban dead. this is an online text rpg set in an abandoned and quarantined city, where you can choose to play either as a surviver, trying to rebuild your shattered life, or a zombi, trying to snack on as much living flesh as possible.

the game is highly accessible to screen readers and has a very active player base and fan community, and extensive gameplay info is available to new players. You can find the Urban dead game by lirching onto this link.

But if gamebooks are more your thing, there's no need to miss out on the terror, sinse a new title has been added to the Whitestick.co.uk fantasy gamebooks page, Mansion of Maleficence. In this short adventure you will enter an extremely unpleasant house, teeming with ghoolish creatures and grizly fates for you to stumble into, even for gamebook veterans, this one is a challenge.

You can find the link Here on the Fantasy gamebooks page

along with many other gamebook titles. Alternatively, you can Enter the mansion of Maleficence directly on this link

good luck dodging the Zombies!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-05-31 23:32:46

I'm not sure if Urban Dead can be classified as totally accessible.
I have started up an account there, and it seems that all I can do as a zombie is talk and attack things. I can't search, and as I understand, searching is a fairly big deal.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-06-01 12:31:37

Hmmm, before I wrote this news post I did actually create an account and sign onto the game as a surviver, just to check accessibility, and had no trouble searching at all. Much like talking and attacking, it was one of the links at the bottom of the page labled "Search xxxx" with the name of your location, and pressing it would give a message saying "You search the XXx and find whatever" (often nothing).

So, either this is a Hal vs Jaws thing, or you can't search as a zombi. Looking at the way the game's set up, with zombies being more limited in what they do than humans, I'd suspect the latter. So I suggest having a look at the game's Wiki for more info on Zombies.

I'm afraid after checking the game out for this news item, i decided against continuing to play sinse it just seemed that the game boiled down to a two-faction version of Gothador without the quests.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-06-04 20:01:26

Urban Dead is a many faction massive online rpg. The map is very accessible as it's set up as a three-by-three table with directions laid out like a num-pad with eight as north and three as southeast etc. There are zombies who work with humans, humans who kill humans, zombies that hate zombies, humans that kill zombies, some people who just avoid everyone. With over half-a-maillion accounts created, there are many possibilities.

Zombies aren't as smart as humans. They can't use pretty much anything they search for or have in their inventory. Thaht's why you can't search as a zombie. You search as a survivor because you can do more with the items. Zombies don't need items as they attack very strongly without them. That's what they do...attack.

Hope this helps:
Dakotah Rickard

2007-06-05 09:36:36

thanks, it's handy to know that sort of thing.

Personally, I'm more into exploration and carrying out solo quests in these types of games, so I don't think Urban dead is precisely my thing, but it's great to know the game is accessible. It certainly did seem a highly screen reader friendly game when I tried it out.

2007-07-04 18:24:10

Can anyone tell me what to do when I get into the game? There are people there, and I just don't know what to do to get started.