2013-01-30 21:24:16

Hi all,
I've been following Choose Your Story, infinite-Story and FF Project and Chronicles for a number of years, and about two or so years ago came across a game called Fallen London.
The creators of that game now have a story game creation engine just like the others, but this engine gets updated quite a lot almost daily, creators can inject living stories into their stories which makes NPCs come alive with timed events and other things, not to mention basic things like stat based systems and whatnot. Fallen London has the most content of course, but I personally prefer the other created stories because I'm not a huge fan of that writing, but I like the system itself. Games that I think worth checking out and have good tutorials for playing them would have to be Zero Summer,
http://zerosummer.storynexus.com
and Orchestra demonstrates that this sytem can indeed have combat encounters. Fallen London doesn't have all that much combat, but Orchestra and Zero Summer has some. There's also a space game Mailstrom that seems worth checking out, and at least two long fantasy games. Plus you can create your own too.
Check out Story Nexus at
http://storynexus.com

2013-01-30 21:51:46

Interesting, if there's possibility to add music sounds / voices.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2013-01-30 21:57:02

Nope man. Just text. You can't just spend time playing audio games all the time.

2013-01-31 00:48:49

Yep, i know, and this is where i am playing mainstream games.:D

Well, text only based games aren't my favourite, and this is it.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2013-01-31 09:56:35

Hi.
I have played Fallen London for some time, and I totally forgot to share this information here on the forum. So, thanks Orin. smile
Well, Fallen London is really, really great, but I have lost the interest for the game again. I must say I don't like the games which have those kind of turn systems, where you're giving a mount of turns each day, so you can only play for a few minutes and you have to wait until you get new turns. That's the main reason for I don't play this game anymore. but the storys are really great, and there are a lot to unlock.
The only thing I don't fully understand is how the skills works, and how to work on those to unlock more missions.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2013-01-31 15:54:43

And this editor in Story nexus is somethink, like in choose your storry, so It is richtext visual editor?

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2013-01-31 19:57:13

Hi Soren,
I think you should give some of these other stories a shot. Realistically, how many story games do we have both audio and text-based? Very few serious ones. Sryth I'd say is the only masive one and thus can afford not to have a turn based system because of so much content. The reason why these turn systems are put in place is because with some of these stories since they're still being written, you can just blast through them and go through all the content.
I personally haven't, but there are people who, dispite the turn system not letting them blast through the content, completed every storylet of their path and completed all the content that was available in Fallen London itself. There's expantion areas that are outside of Fallen London that exist in the game but aren't actually in london and that's quite a lot, but yet they completed it all.
Plus, now that there are more stories available than FL, Zero Summer for example gives you quite a lot of actions/turns when you start out, making the intro/tutorial possible and the first few stories that'll define your character. So i think each game under this new Story Nexus system can give as many as they feel you need to get through a lot in one day while at the same time not letting you play through all the stuff in one day.
I hope that clears some things up with people who don't much like these systems. I don't like it much either, but I think some stories do the Kingdom of Loathing thing and when you drink, eat etc you can get more points. The stories I play don't do that though because they're small and if there were no action points you could probably get through it in a few hours due to stat checks and challenges.
Oh BTW I just checked, and Fallen London gives you some points every few minutes, so by the time you get through one scene chances are you'll have points to continue.
HTH

2013-01-31 20:01:13

Giovani wrote:

And this editor in Story nexus is somethink, like in choose your storry, so It is richtext visual editor?

Hi,
I haven't messed with the creation tools of Story Nexus yet. I do know one thing, it's more advanced than Choose your Story or infinite Story, no matter how you look at it. That's why I prefer this system, creators can add more replay ability.

2013-02-02 11:02:23

Hi! This game is pretty fun, I think these stories. But, I also try this editor to create a new storry and It's a very strange. I must firstly read the manual or f.a.q. to understanding It.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2013-02-02 16:01:34

It looks like at least one of them requires either purchasing game items with real money or accepting offers.  This being true, I'm unlikely to use this site.

2013-02-02 18:41:33

ahoy there
Most of the games on there require the item perchase,but I am asumeing that its optional. I have only played 2 of them for a couple of minutes,though.
The game is good,at least the 2 tthat I have tryed,those beeing fallen london? if that's the way it is spelled,and sansara. Sort of a dream walker thingy,but what I have played,is good.
the only gripe I have with the site is we can't create a single account and play,for both of the games,I had to create 2 different log ins.
Thanks for the link to the site,Orin.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2013-02-05 00:50:43

Well, in the game I was playing, the purchase was "optional", but it was required in order to enter into a story line, without which, the play remains rather limited.

2013-02-05 06:14:52

You can create a single account for the games at least mine works.

2013-02-05 10:09:23

Yes, I also have a single account here. You just need to create a sepret profile for each game, but still under the same account.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2013-02-05 13:42:26 (edited by grryfindore 2013-02-05 14:44:32)

Ahoy there.
My bad you can create a single account and then different profiles for different games.
AT themadviolinist,  There is content like that in almost all  the games,however.they  are more of a bonus stories slash paths what you will. At least,I have seen it to be so,so far.
Have any of you reached til Ministry of Black Powder 14? if yes, perhaps you could push me in the right direction. big_smile Edit:
figured it out. however,any way to earn some $$? and to equip items? the game right now,doesn't seem to have a inventory. edit end.
Grryf.ps. I Do like both fallen london and 0summer,however I like the latter better. That rimes,too. tongue sortish...

Follow me on twitter

2013-02-08 01:48:58

Hey folks,

Head writer for Zero Summer here. Glad so many of you are enjoying the game! smile

I wanted to answer a few questions I saw:

And this editor in Story nexus is somethink, like in choose your storry

StoryNexus games are a lot like Choose Your Own Adventure games, yeah! Except they tend to be much bigger and more complicated than the old CYOA novels -- Zero Summer, for example, is about 50,000 words long and takes around a month of dedicated play to reach the content cap. It's also got a lot of nooks, crannies, and secrets to explore...

And of course we're still growing every week! smile

It looks like at least one of them requires either purchasing game items with real money or accepting offers.

To the best of my knowledge, every single StoryNexus game is 98% free content.

A few of them -- Zero Summer, Fallen London -- have side-story content you can buy. For example: in Zero Summer, players can spend a little money to play a story from just after the Longest Day, when certain greater monsters roamed free.

My bad you can create a single account and then different profiles for different games.

You only need to create one StoryNexus account! But you do create a new character for each game. smile

Have any of you reached til Ministry of Black Powder 14? if yes, perhaps you could push me in the right direction. figured it out. however,any way to earn some $$? and to equip items? the game right now,doesn't seem to have a inventory. edit end.

Glad you found your way through! We're going to add a find-my-way feature very soon. That should help keep track of where you are!

As for Dollars and equippable items: try the Bazaar for items, and rare successes on all 'grind' cards give out Dollars. (Rare successes proc around 20% of the time.)

If you have any other questions, comments or critique, please leave them here! I'll keep an eye on this thread. smile Thanks for playing!

2013-02-10 06:30:10

ahoy all.
Welcome Hierophant to the forums!
0summer is indeed awsome,and I am getting on slowly in the game. the best parts in the game I have liked so far are the beginning,and the best the evening of the first day. There,I actually may have wrote what I like without throwing a pile of spoilers out there... tongue
Sometimes though,I wish those thingys which are locked to us had a lable. it does say doc or gunslinger,but no count of how much is needed.
And I don't really know if its my reader,browser which is IE9 btw, or the site it self,that keeps changeing little things here and there.the other day,I noticed that all the options gave you a % that is the chance you had of success when you chose that option. and yesterday when I played 0summer that was gone. When I started though,I didn't get the % either,it started 2 days ago,and whent away yesterday big_smile
The 2 games,or worlds should I say,that I am enjoying the most right now are the 0summer and maelstrom. too much grinding in that one,though.
Grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2013-02-10 15:53:57

Howdy Grryf!

I'm glad you're enjoying the game. I think the end of Day 1 is a real high point. Really increases the level of 'weird' in the game. smile

When cards are locked but visible, you should be able to hover your mouse over them and see what qualities you need. When branches are locked but visible, there are little icons in the bottom-right hand corner of them which should show you what qualities you need.

The Failbetter folks are constantly upgrading what we can do with StoryNexus. The percentages on each branch are a new (and welcome!) addition. Expect new stuff like that on an ongoing basis!

As you know, I'm new around here. If I wanted to release a Zero Summer access code for you folks only -- a redeemable code with a little in-game goodie -- where could I post it most visibly?

2013-02-10 19:35:36

ahoy Hierophant.
in turms of the code beeing more visible,I guess a topic in the general game discussion room would be the best.
I suppose I shouldn't speak too soon.grin. after I finished the evening, righto! another one of those spoilers. big_smile

do we always pass out even if we take up the gun against the bats,or brace for attack? curious,as always.

I could of course start the game again to sait my curiosity,but it'd be too much grinding just to know that...
But I digress. so as I was saying,after the evening was over,the story got more interesting. the new things which are introduced are like the iceing on the cake? I am starting to enjoy this game/world what you will,a lot. not only for the way its written but the plot,and the way we are driven through it.
but aye,this leads to the way of the grinding fest,too. I do think from what I have gon through that it'll be worth it in the end,though.
As for the goodys,is it rude if I try and peep into the bag? big_smile
the percentages haven't reappeared yet,alas. Looking forward to going through more of the story tammorrow,mine,anyway. tongue
To anyone that hasn't played 0summer yet,and you have been able to reach at this point of my ramblings,it'd be my suggestion that you go ahead and give it a spin. If the gamebooks and other such games are your kind of thing,that is. And if they aren't,I am amaised you have got at a point you are reading these lines. tongue
With that novel written,I'll stop.=grin
Grryf.

Follow me on twitter

2013-02-12 12:05:05

Hi.
Hmm, I should give zero summer a try. Sounds interesting.

Best regards SLJ.

2013-02-18 03:27:51

Hello all!
I have been playing Zero Summer for a few days now and am really enjoying it. smile However, I am stuck on the morning of day 2. In order to advance the time of day, I need to obtain the Key of Dreams. The problem is, I have no idea what to do in order to get the key. I have been all over town and have done everything that the game has allowed me to do thus far. Any help would be much appreciated! big_smile

Quaaaaaaaaaaack quaaaaaaaaaaack quaaaaaaaaaaack!