2012-11-26 13:40:05 (edited by staindaddict 2012-11-26 13:42:04)

Hey everyone,

I just found this game on the pontse site. It's like pingpong, the ball moves around, and you have to center your paddle under the ball so you can hit it twoards the ceiling. If you hit the ceiling, you score a point. If you miss the ball, the computer scores a point. I think it's a neat little game.. You can get it somewhere... Hmm where did it go, aaaaa!!
<a href=www.pontes.ro/en/scripts>Right Here</a>

Enjoy!

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2012-11-26 13:43:14

That was my pethetic attempt at HTML, lol. You can get the game here:
http://www.pontes.ro/en/scripts/

Have fun.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2012-11-26 15:37:51

Hi everybody
The most important features of Pontes Pong are:
* It can be played by in visual mode or in audio mode or both
* Supports sapi, Jaws,  NVDA and possibly Windows Eyes (untested) as speech interfaces.
Depending on your suggestions, future releases might include customisable sound packs and maybe the ability to play ping pong online.
As for how to play the game, here is a fragment from the game manual:
You are in a room and you have a pad. A ball falls from the ceiling and you have to prevent it from hitting the floor by positioning the pad under the ball. After hitting the pad the ball will return to the ceiling with a slightly increased speed. The ball may hit the walls and the ceiling and will return to the floor. The height of the ball is shown by the pitch of the ball sound. The position of the pad will give the ball a different direction when hitting it. For example, if the pad is slightly on the left side of the ball, the ball will go slightly to the right of the room and so on.
You will win a point if you can make the ball hit the ceiling in the middle area of the room. The computer will win a point if the ball hits the floor.

Enjoy playing Pontes Pong

2012-11-26 15:55:27

Online play would be awesome.

2012-11-26 20:58:07

There are not many games that can be played by blind and sighted people. At least as a ball game, this is the only one. smile

Emanuel Boboiu
Errare humanum est, sed perseverare... diabolicum.
For other games and programs, visit android.pontes.ro or scripts.pontes.ro!

2012-11-27 17:39:10

unless you count rebound from gamevial :d.

I'll be interested to check  pontes  pong out though, and an online mode for  this sort of game would indeed be very nice sinse it's  the type of thing that a quick blast online really would be fun at, particularly if it covers various levels of vision.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-11-27 21:58:04

Okay, I've now tried the game.

Nice idea and the audio component worked fine, even if sapi didn't read the  menus once they were open.

However, the visual element did appear to have a few problems, (I can see enough to play pong). when I turned the video off and played via sound things were fine, however the video didn't particularly work smoothly. The animations of the moving pattern of the ball were out of sink with where the ball   was, indeed I once heard the ball hit the floor even as the graphic of it was still in the middle of the screen. I wonder if this is because the graphics don't seem to actually move the ball, but just redraw it in different positions?

then, the paddle was a very dark blue, which was actually quite hard to  see, and it's movement was also very choppy in terms of the  redrawing and keeping in sink with it's audio position.

While I can certainly see the point of this game and think it's a great idea, I do wonder if as well as adding some more features, you might need to  consult someone about the graphical portion. Pong obviously doesn't have  to have major complex 3D graphics of doom, ---- but still if it is to be visually playable the graphics do need to work as well as the audio.

I hope further developement goes well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-11-28 10:24:26

Hi Dark and thank you for your reply.
It is true that the graphics are just on the basic side because i programmed the game thinking at the original pong computer game from the 70's. However I did not experience any problems in audio video sync.
I wonder if you are using any kind of screen magnification software such as ZoomText or  Supernova. While testing the game i also experienced some problems with zoomtext in winxp.
At the moment i do not intend to develop the graphic portion very much but I will try to implement some adaptations for low vision players like the size of the elements on the screen, configurable color schemes, etc.
This game started as an experiment to find out how this kind of ball type games can be played both by blind and sighted people, For example, in the first alpha version the visual elements were represented by standard win32gui buttons and labels smile)
The interesting point is that audio balance jumps in the same way as the audio pad, for example but for the eye this seems choppy and not very appropriate for a game, while for audio this discrepancy is not so obvious. So it is just a way of giving sighted and blind players the same conditions in which to play the game.
All the best
Campus

2012-11-29 16:33:19

Hi 

No, though I am using supernova it's only the speech part as in order to be of any use to me for reading text things would need to be magnified ridiculously! I also would not expect hugely complex graphics, ---- this is pong after all, however  the the  descrepancies betwene the speed of audio and the changes in the graphics were a bit worrying, sinse  while the game  find with audio, visually it didn't seem to (as I said, the ball was still shown as in the middle of the screen even when the sound was playing it hitting the floor).

I haven't experienced this sort of slow down in other graphical games I've tried on my pc, so  I do wonder if there is some sort of problem there.

Configurable colour would be appreciated too, sinse I would've  much preferd a different colour bat.

As regards graphics in audio games though, I am indeed a fan sinse it lets me make use of what vision I actually have, indeed as I said I still do play graphical games and have done some low vision access type stuff for games like archaeist and to hell with johny, so I do think this is a good idea.

2012-11-30 02:43:49

You know, Swamp has spoiled me.  I kept missing the option for mouse control.

2012-12-11 16:57:21

My suggestion for version 1.1 is to interrupt the winning and losing sounds when pressing enter to re-launch the ball.
Sometimes, when I lose a ball, I am a little angry and I want to reduce the difference very quickly, but because the previous sound is still playing, I lose many times again.
I have to be more patient, I know… but… :LOL:

I like this game, now I can win even if playing very difficult level.

Emanuel Boboiu
Errare humanum est, sed perseverare... diabolicum.
For other games and programs, visit android.pontes.ro or scripts.pontes.ro!