2007-03-21 12:17:29 (edited by Sendermen 2007-03-21 22:33:24)

Hi there!

I recently found a cool, free web-based online adventure game you can make money on!
The game has been around for some time, but just recently (march 2007)
got new owners and had a re-launch!
So if you want to be in the game from the beginning now is your chance! Don't miss out!
The game is web-based, so no downloads required.
The game is an online pirate adventure game, where you can search islands for gold,
plunder villages or even plunder other pirates for their gold, and at the end of the month
you can cash-out your game gold for REAL money!
This is no joke, just check out the prizes and pay-outs section to see how much people have
cashed out allready smile
The game is sponsored by small ads, but they are not in the way, and you don't have to click
them or anything, so the more people joining, the more money for the ones who do well smile
(You probably wouldn't notice the ads if i didn't tell you about them.)
It's easy to get started and making gold and upgrading your ship, so, do yourself a favor
and check out

http://www.piratetheworld.com/index.php

Some hints if you want to be successful in the game:

When you attack other pirates or towns your fame will go up, and the higher fame
you got the more money you lose if someone attacks you... this is where most new
players make their mistakes, they run around with high fame and run out of moves, then they
are sitting ducks and will lose alot of gold when they are attacked.
This is however easily avoided by not attacking so much, or quite simply by sticking to
searching islands (island hoping).
If your fame is 0 you only lose 1% of your gold when successfully attacked, this money however
is easily regained next day in just a few moves.
If you're a gambler and want to aim for the big bucks go attack villages and other pirates,
if you just want money stick to searching islands, you will get enough gold to cash out real
money at the end of the month smile
Also, in the area around 1S 1E you will get attacked more often as pirates often go there.

So check it out if you are bored, or got an hour or two to spend each day, or just
looking for a little extra $$ for having great fun smile
Good luck out there, and see you on the high seas!
Yarr!

2007-03-21 14:11:28

this didn't sound like spam to me at all, even though there was no showing of how accessible for us blind people this game was. so I'm asking it now, how accessible is it with a screen reader?

2007-03-21 15:50:45 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-21 15:55:13)

firstly, Yarrmet, appologies in advance reguarding the spam suggestion, but we have occasionally had bots posting here. I've had a look at the game and at first glance it does seem possibly interesting (I do have a bit of a thing for pirates, especially sinse I've played one on stage complete with cutlass whirling).

anyway, I have a few questions about the game:

1: A news post on the main forum mentions a randomized map, can you say a litle more about the exploration features of the game?

2: from the news page the game seems to feature searching and random events. do these have any sort of plot? How are they described? actual text descriptions or just "You find x amount of gold", "You find X item" etc.

3: The game mentions attacking other pirates, is Pvp a major part of the game, or is it possible to have a good game experience without engaging in Pvp.

Sorry about all the questions, but I've checked out probably close to a hundred so called text rpg's, and most of them reduce tdown to a fairly standard model of stat grinding through repetitieve actions, simply so that you can stand a chance in a pvp, ---- with the pvp taking the form of yet more repetitive action and comparison of your stats.

I'm sorry if this sounds a litle scynical of the genre, but I am slightly starting to lose my patience with them.

Arjan, I'm fairly sure the above post isn't spam, ---- and suggesting it might not be precisely tactful. Sinse the game seems to have a rewards for reference system, I don't believe spam bots are allowed. Being as it was only an online text game (and I've updated the old antivirus and spyware defences), I've checked the link.

Nope, clicking it won't cause your computer to explode ----- or mine hasn't yet anyway!

It'll lead you to the home page of the game. At a cursery glance, the game looks accessible ---- one news post on the main page even mentions hotkeys, though the adds placed at the top of the page might be irritating if your impatient with skipping frames.

One miner issue I did notice is that the "how to play" section is contained in the forum. While this isn't exactly an accessibility thing, having all the information about who posted what when might slightly ruin the flow of the instructions for the game if using a continuous reading mode (as I usually do). As I haven't yet read the instructions, I'm not sure how reasonable they are for people who aren't looking at the screen. One game I tried was absolutely unplayable because the instructions kept referring only to images and not saying what things were called.

the fact that said game was extraordinarily complicated and had many unlabled "javascript" images wasn't too helpful either.

If I get around to trying this pirate game, I'll let everyone know what it's like.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-03-21 16:16:58

Hmmm, I dunno. A free game you can make real money in, there's gotta be some kind of catch. You'll forgive my pecimism but it's been my experience that you gotta be real careful of that sort of thing. They probably have to have your bank account number or, at the very least, your physical address in order to send you the money, so then all of a sudden your mailbox is cluttered with adds and offers for stuff you don't really want or need. Seems to me that would be a major security risk.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-03-21 17:17:12

Yep brian, the sign up certainly does require your actual address, and on the basis that I don't like giving out my address online if I can avoid it, I haven't signed up yet.

In the game's defence, they do seem to be making a big thing of advertising,---- there's even a direct link on the main page if you want to post your own add in the game. The news also mentioned perchiceable in game items, so the game might be generating cash this way.

As to the cash, apart from competitions and such, it seems that the game uses a conversion basis, ie, x amount of in game gold adds up to X dollars (they only mention dollars), so presumably the exchange rate will be favourable to the game's management, ---- in fact, they state in the how to play section that the more people put money into the game, through buying items, paying for add space or referring new players, the better the exchange rate.

I'm not sure what the exchange rate is, but I'd be willing to bet you'd have to play fairly extensively to actually make any real money at the game, outside of winning prises in lotteries etc of course.

The cash thing doesn't really interest me anyway though, it's what the game is like.

Having now read the "how to play" section, the good news is that it's quite readable and not eclectic with random people posting random advice as I slightly feared in a forum. the bad news is, that various features of the game appear to be graphical (such as coloured counters to indicate the strength of enemies), and I'm not certain what sort of counterpart these have.

also, reading the bit about the hotkeys, it seems that the arrow keys, space bar and number pad are actually used in the game,---- arrows to navigate for instance. While the instructions state that links are provided, sinse several screen readers use arrows, space and the numberpad regularly anyway, I wonder if this might cause trouble.

I know there are ways around these thingss with hal, sinse in hal I generally use the virtual focus in web pages, so Hal will be using the cursers, not the application, and Hal supervenes on any other applications as far as keys go anyway, so there shouldn't be numb pad issues, (though obviously there are some quick and easy ways to have keys go through to the application when there's a conflict).

I'm not sure how this works in jaws or Window eyes though, particularly with relation to the cursers, though I expect there are relatively easy work arounds. Stil, I thought I'd mention this point.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-03-21 19:09:37

I'm suspicious of this too.

Regarding the keyboard though Jaws usually does get priority over other programs, with insert+3... note this is not numpad 3 but the 3 on the main portion of the keyboard... acting as a temporary pass through, it allows the next key or key combo pressed to go through without Jaws interfering.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-03-21 20:56:37

ah, I thought so, the corresponding key in Hal is ctrl 7, though you can also turn all hotkeys off (and stil have the voice and general program running), with ctrl 8, ctrl 0 for the voice.

I've never needed these on a website though, but they are rather handy for playing audio games.

2007-03-21 22:31:03

Topic was reported as "sort of spam"...can't say whether this really is spam...it's an advertisement. Please use this site with care, at your own risk. When money is involved, you never know.

2007-03-21 23:33:27

Rob you? how would knowing your address help them to rob you. Creddit card fraud and avalanches of junk through the post are more likely imho, ----- though if they tried to air mail me junk from the Us, more fool them!

i can certainly confirm that the site homepage and "how to play" sections are free of viruses, spyware etc, but I'm slightly shy about giving my address as well.

Maybe I'll do what I usually do in these situations and give Dark Empathy's address instead:

firstname: dark.
Last name: Empathy.
Street address: The ivory tower, Desolation row.
city: the windmills of my mind.
Zip/postal code: 0000.

I just wish I could complete it by putting an interesting country of origin, ---- Fantasia maybe, or perhaps: "that strange country on the other side of Hell" (a J-strange reference), but annoyingly they usually have drop down lists.

btw, thanks for changing the topic title Senderman.

2007-03-22 15:50:40

Lol I love that address Dark. I've occasionally signed up to places as "Gomez Addams" so it doesn't surprise me at all other people do this sort of thing.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-03-22 17:02:28

dark empathy wrote:

btw, thanks for changing the topic title Senderman.

No thanks! Je suis moderateur for that.... smile

2007-03-22 17:02:49

Glad you like it Cx2, though as far as the Pirate game goes, my only slight worry is that if they are legitimate, or if I do actually want to buy any of their in game items (an unlikely possibility given that the Pirate games looks to be another repetitive stat cruncher), Dark empathy's address will get in the way.

I've actually been using the name "Dark" online now for about 8 years, however, it is occasionally already taken on forums and such (especially sinse an Anime with a character called dark appeared last year), so i needed a sir name, ----- sinse it's sort of my research interest, "Empathy" seemed to fit (I've never been in a situation where I've seen the name "Dark Empathy" already in use).

I've always put my location as "the ivory tower" both because of the thing about academics, and because of the Never ending story reference. When Gamefaqs wanted an address, I used the rest (I am not giving out my real address just so that I can write and comment upon game reviews etc).

Weerdly, I've now been "Dark" for so long, I find it completely interchangeable with my real name, in fact I once phoned somebody who I'd previously chatted to online, (we'd both been playing and exchanging messages on nation states for about two years), and she constantly called me "dark"

2007-03-23 06:36:43

Andy, I believe that the description "just reading blar blar and clicking buttons and links" applies to the vast majority of brouser based text games, methinks a bit more specificity is called for here.

Spam is bad, even spam that involves cheep pizza, even cheep pizza topped with spam! good spam filters are a must, and practicing wise E-mail opening policies is deffinately important if you want to stay virus free. I stil don't see however, how this qualifies as robbing you.

when I get around to testing the Pirate game, I'll let you know about it's spamiciousness or not, ---- though the provider of my public address does use some very good spam filters (I actually get more spam on my private address, which is weerd sinse I hardly ever use it).

as to interactive fiction, that's something i've played a lot of, and I'd certainly like a chat about it (I probably could make a few recommendations). However, it might be better to do that in a new topic rather than just changing tack in this one so quickly.

2007-03-24 09:39:46 (edited by dark empathy 2007-03-24 09:57:26)

I don't believe entering a false address is actually illegal, and if it is, well call me a crook because i'm doing it anyway! My only concern with entering a false address is that if you do want to use your creddit card, then you might have problems.

You can find the sign up link at the end of the page next to "forum" then just trudge through all the adds to find the sign up form. If you try the game out, let us know what you think, as I said from the "How to play" thing it looked like yet another stat cruncher Pvp game, but I might be wrong.

as to E-mail, sinse Hal is fine with outlook, and sinse outlook is a fairly standardized windows ap, there should be a way of getting jfw to work with it. Perhaps somebody who uses Jfw could provide some tips here.

As to interactive fiction discussion, Imho that sort of thing is best done on a forum, sinse not only can you get various people commenting, but also anyone else who wants to know about If can just look at the topic (I've found a few interesting things myself by looking at other topics that I hadn't previously known about).

2007-03-24 15:18:57

False email addresses would not be a good idea since they may need to send you a confirmation email, and at the very least you can check if an email address exists without sending a mail. On the other hand no harm in setting up a secondary address for these purposes.

cx2
-----

2007-03-25 11:00:20

Oh, just to clear up any possible confusion, I was talking about false postal addresses. Obviously for sign up purposes some kind of valid E-mail address is a necessity. this is why I have two mail addresses, a public one that I plaster around the net, and a private university one that I only use for work related matters or for people who know me offline.

Recently though, I've been having to mix things up a bit, sinse my friend who owns the mail server for my public address (she's the webmaster of the Xgam site) where my writing appears, has put in some fairly uba spam filters, and I've had the odd occasion where a form E-mail doesn't get through.

this is why I couldn't sign up on the game accessibility.com forum. So, I've had to use my private address for these things, which isn't good.

Then, sinse my private address is based on my actual name, I always use it for buying and selling, and thus all my games are registered in my offline name rather than in the name of Mr. Dark Empathy.

2007-03-25 18:17:50

Dark:
I was replying to andy smith's post where he suggested an email address that ended in @support.gov, whjich is probably not genuine. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

cx2
-----

2007-03-25 19:15:38

No problem Cx2, such things ar unavoidable every so often in text I think.

2007-03-26 00:04:27

Hi,
There's a site at www.sneakemail.com that offers a nice service. You have to give them your real E-mail address, but then you can set up throw-away @sneakemail.com addresses. The idea is that, if you have to give your Email address to someone who you don't really trust, you give them a throw-away address. If you later start getting spam, you can cancel that address, and it's gone forever. I think they somehow include which address was used in the subject line of messages they forward to you. Additionally, if you set up an address, and only give that particular address to one company or website, and later get spam at that particular sneakemail address, there's an excellent chance that the company or website you gave it to sold that address, since they're the only one you ever gave it to. Get rid of that address, and it becomes an instant dud for spammers!